Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wolves 3 - 0 United

3 May 2014

Wolves break divisional record ...

Carlisle United needed a victory and other results to go their way if they were to extend their eight year stay in League One but it was Wolves who grabbed the headlines as they set a new divisional record with a massive 103-point haul from their title winning campaign.

A sell-out home crowd, bolstered by close to 1000 travelling Blues, created a party atmosphere and it was the home side who showed first with a run down the right flank from Golbourne. His cross eventually came to Jacobs but O'Hanlon reacted quickly to smother the shot.

The gold shirts stayed forward and a sweeping crossfield pass from Sako brought captain Sam Ricketts into play. He took a touch, stepped inside and left Pickford with no chance as he drilled a powerful shot into the bottom corner.

Wolves piled the pressure on and more good work from Sako brought a testing delivery for the keeper to deal with. A punch invited Edwards to shoot but he couldn't find a way through.

A run from deep from Amoo gave the home side something to think about, as United worked hard to break out, but his shot from distance was never going to trouble the target.

A corner followed as Miller challenged with Ikeme and the big striker was unlucky to see his header go over as he jumped highest to meet the outswinger from Berrett.

It was a good spell for United but Amoo fluffed his lines for a second bite of the cherry when a block from Stearman spun up and into his feet. He went for a first time volley but he couldn't find the direction he needed.

Wolves eased their way back to full throttle and a patient build up brought their second goal when Golbourne made space for a cross on the left flank. It looped high into the air and a challenge from Dicko wrong footed the defence as it bounced up off the ground. Michael Jacobs said thank you very much as he stole in to head the ball into the back of the net at very close range.

Amoo tried another long range effort as Carlisle sent men forward in search of a reply and the same player was guilty of a glaring miss on the half hour when Berrett pumped a free kick into the area. All it needed was a touch but he took his eye off the ball and it skimmed off his shoulder and sped harmlessly past the post.

Jacobs was a constant threat and he took matters into his own hands when he ran through two tackles and took on the shot. It had plenty of power but now quite enough curl to take it past the full length keeper.

A Carlisle free kick caused problems in the home box again, when Ikeme advanced too far, and he was relieved to see O'Hanlon on his heels as it skipped past everyone and behind for a goal kick.

Good play from Redmond, as he rode two challenges, left Robson with a decision to make but Ikeme was well positioned to cushion the shot as it flew into his midriff.

Wolves thought they'd added to the tally just before half time when McDonald sent a lovely ball into the box. Dicko timed his run well but he couldn't keep his eight yard shot down and it somehow zipped over the bar.

Carlisle started brightly after the break, with Symington and Byrne sending good chances wide, but Wolves were impressive as they broke from deep. Sako did well to ride two challenges during one such moment and his pass for Golbourne brought a perfectly dinked cross. Dicko should have done much better than the poor header which failed to deliver.

The nippy striker made amends moments later when he profited from a flowing move down the Carlisle right. Sako did the hard work, McDonald had the first shot, and Dicko was there to sweep the rebound into the roof of the net as it fell nicely at his feet.

Wolves looked sharp in the tackle and United had to sit deep to cope with the waves of attacks which came their way as Jacobs and Dicko went close again, and Pickford was alert when he pounced to stop Sako from turning on the spot when he had his back to goal.

The home side were happy to attack on the break as the closing stages approached and there was one last piece of work for Jordan Pickford to do when substitute Jack Price was sent through by Henry. The stopper stayed big and made a brave save and Sean O'Hanlon raced across to poke the loose ball away.

United's fantastic supporters were once more a credit to their club at the final whistle as they stayed behind to applaud their side and to the congratulate Wolves on the award of the League One trophy, but it was with heavy hearts that they headed home knowing that their side will be playing in League Two next season.



Wolves - Ricketts (5), Jacobs (24), Dicko (56)



Wolves - Batth (48)



Wolves - Ikeme, Edwards (Henry 64), Stearman, Batth, Sako (Price 88), McDonald, Evans, Ricketts, Golbourne, Jacobs, Dicko (Clarke 80). Subs - McCarey, Doherty, McAlinden, Ebanks-Landell.

United - Pickford, Symington, O'Hanlon, Brown, Robson, Noble (Dempsey 68), Berrett, Potts, Amoo (Chimbonda 46), Miller, Redmond (Byrne 46). Subs - Gillespie, Brough, Guy, Meppen-Walter.


Referee - Mr Andy D'Urso

Attendance - 29,829 (997 away fans)

Advertisement block