Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 0 - 0 Shrewsbury

25 March 2014

Missed chances rob United of victory

Carlisle United had to settle for a share of the points as they were left to ponder a glut of missed chances on what was another frustrating night at Brunton Park.

The game took a while to settle with a snapshot from Potts on the edge of the box the only incident of note from a tense opening five minutes. He caught it well but it flashed well wide of the target. 

Both sides held their shape as they looked to protect their penalty areas and defensive interventions from Chantler, at one end, and Taylor at the other kept things simple for the keepers.

A lovely delivery almost opened things up for Carlisle when O'Hanlon flicked a Berrett set piece into Brown's path. He unleashed a thundering half volley which had Anyon beaten but he was disappointed to see it rattle off the crossbar and loop away to safety.

Carlisle grew in confidence and Brown was the danger man again as he made a dipping cross his own at the back stick. He connected with a crunching header but the woodwork came into play once more as it bounced back off the underside of the bar. Guy was there on the follow up but his header was easy for the stopper to claim.

The Shrews edged their way into the game and a long ball from the back found Taylor in acres of space inside the box. His touch was heavy and Meppen-Walter recovered to sweep it away as the nippy striker contemplated his wasted opportunity.

A half cleared Berrett free kick brought a deflected shot from Meppen-Walter as United tried to pick up the pace again and Potts drilled one right at Anyon as Symington recovered the ball and sent it back in.

Pickford had to be on his toes as the Shrews broke forward when Eaves cut back inside on the left and went for glory. His shot was heading for the bottom corner until a smart dive brought a fingertip touch.

Striker Lee Miller worked in tandem with Lewis Guy as he chested a Pickford kick into his path. His volley was sweet but it took a touch off Mkandawire and deflected away for a corner.

It was a frantic close to the half as a nod down from Eaves spun up off the greasy surface and Jon Taylor arrived late to head the ball into the ground. Pickford had to scramble as it bounced high towards his top corner. The keeper wasted no time in clearing his lines and Chantler pushed forward to deliver an early ball at the near post. Guy got the header, which Anyon somehow saved, and the offside flag stopped Miller as he moved to pick up the pieces.

A slow second half sprung into life on 52 minutes when Taylor poked a volley through the gap from the edge of the area. Pickford spilled it right into the path of Shaun Miller but the keeper redeemed himself when he recovered quickly to block what looked to be a certain goal.

There was excitement at the other end when Redmond dropped a shoulder and beat his man. He shot from distance and Anyon had to parry as it swirled awkwardly in the air.

Lewis Guy was the catalyst for another good move when he carried the ball into the Shrewsbury half. He exchanged passes with Symington but clipped his cut back right into Anyon's arms.

The Cumbrians enjoyed a good spell as crosses from Redmond and Symington caused problems. Berrett sent the third of the deliveries in and a poor clearance sat up nicely for Brown to hit. He put his boot through it and it was a whisker away from finding the corner of the net.

A long throw into the Carlisle area brought a brief moment of panic as it pinged loose and Taylor lost his composure as he swung a wild leg at it. He failed to connect and Meppen-Walter gratefully lifted it clear.

United looked the more likely to score and they should have taken the lead with 17 minutes left to play when Berrett recovered a clearance and swung the ball back into the box. Lee Miller was unmarked, six yards out, but he saw it late and he guided his header wide.

Chantler was next to open things up when he got to the bye line and put a pass on a plate for Miller as he ran into the area. He had to connect on the run but he missed the target as he tried to place his shot past Anyon.

Carlisle turned up the gas for the closing stages and James Berrett overlapped to go one on one with Anyon from a tight angle. The keeper spread himself at the near post and O'Hanlon tussled to nod the resulting corner over the bar as he tried to lead by example.

Danny Redmond pulled strings from deep and he was unlucky to see a shot from a chance he created for himself go begging as he beat two to make the gap. And United were almost caught napping as the Shrews broke late in the day but a combination of Pickford and Brown maintained the clean sheet and prevented the away side from stealing away with the spoils.



Shrews - Woods (26)



Carlisle United - Pickford, Symington, O'Hanlon, Meppen-Walter (Dempsey 86), Chantler, Brown, Potts, Berrett, Redmond, Miller, Guy (Byrne 72). Subs - Fleming, Lynch, Brough, Pearson, Novo.

Shrewsbury Town - Anyon, Grandison (Wildig 37), Miller (Atajic 56), Taylor, Mkandawire, Parry (Foley 56), Goldson, Woods, Eaves, Mills, Hall. Subs - Weale, Jacobson, Winfield, Flint.


Referee - Mr Steven Rushton

Attendance - 3,963 (150 away fans)

Advertisement block