Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Tranmere 0 - 0 United

29 March 2014

Stats and facts from the game

Carlisle United and Tranmere Rovers had to settle for a share of the points in a game which could have gone either way as both sides created chances and enjoyed periods of dominance.

Tranmere came out of the blocks firing on all cylinders and a missed clearance from Meppen-Walter allowed Cassidy to win a corner with just 60 seconds on the clock. Taylor moved to meet it and Chantler was there to clear off the line as Lowe stretched to apply a finishing touch.

A string of home corners followed and Taylor went close again when he made a run to the far post. His header had power but it fizzed just wide of the upright.

The whole ground thought the hosts had taken the lead on 10 minutes when Cassidy beautifully controlled a high ball over the top. He cut back inside and unleashed a curling shot past Pickford which ricocheted off the inside of the post and somehow bounced away to safety.

It was all Tranmere and Lowe reacted first to reach another through ball which took him to a tight angle. He shot on the spin and Pickford needed a touch to take it into the side netting.

Neat footwork from Power took him away from two United defenders and he was left to turn in frustration as his shot skipped off the surface and wide of the target.

Returning striker Gary Madine registered the first United chance of the day when he tried his luck from distance as Goodison sat back. Fon Williams watched as it dipped over his bar. 

Potts and Madine combined to create space for Symington moments later and Ridehalgh had his heart in his mouth as he dived to clear. The ball crashed off his head and just past the angle of post and bar.

Carlisle looked more dangerous and a flick from O'Hanlon fell nicely for Meppen-Walter to volley. He caught it well but he lost his bearings and the effort headed off towards the corner flag.

A good passage of play from the visitors brought an opening for Potts from distance when Redmond played a pass inside. He took one touch with his right foot and let fly with his left but it spun off his laces and flew harmlessly away.

Danny Redmond provided quality from set pieces and a whipped delivery on the half hour needed just a touch as it curled into the area. Potts and Madine both applauded as it left them for dead.

Gaps in midfield allowed Akpo Akpro to creep forward and he picked an inch perfect pass to put Jake Cassidy one on one with Pickford. The striker hesitated and placed his attempted lob right into the keeper's hands, much to relief of the retreating defenders.

Carlisle started the second half on top and a Redmond free kick had to be punched by Fon Williams as he went up to challenge with Madine. Brad Potts then tried a difficult volley from distance when it sat up in front of him, but he couldn't keep it down and the target was untroubled.

Madine went close to opening his account when he was left unmarked for a Berrett corner. His header had Fon Williams beaten but Taylor stepped across to make the block and to subsequently complete the clearance.

Tranmere came back into it with a run of corners but a combination of good defending and resolute keeping kept the white shirts at bay. And United almost grabbed the lead on the break when Berrett carried the ball out of his own half. Brad Potts took over and it needed a full length fingertip save from Fon Williams to prevent it from edging into the bottom corner.

United rode their luck midway through the half when Potts was shrugged off the ball on the halfway line. Cassidy was in acres of space and he was able to tease O'Hanlon as he ran into the area. His shot was crisp and it brought the save of the day from Pickford as he spread himself to beat it away. The danger wasn't gone and Taylor was left with a free header as the corner came in. It was a decent effort but it crept just over the bar.

Akpa Akpro and substitute Gboly Ariyibi wasted good chances as Tranmere tried to turn up the heat, and Akpo Akpro was again the culprit as he hooked another poor effort into the stands when he had time on his side.

Jake Cassidy blazed yet another wild shot into the ether when he was put through with 10 minutes left to go, and Berrett had one blocked at the other end as the game remained on a knife edge. 

But it was United who almost claimed the spoils deep into time added on when Gary Madine checked his run on the edge of the area. He set himself for the pass inside from Potts and was disappointed when his thundering shot on the run whipped just over the bar.



Tranmere - Cassidy (44), Goodison (90)



Tranmere Rovers - Fon Williams, Pennington, Taylor, Goodison, Ridehalgh, Akpa Akpro, Power, Jennings, Kirby (Ariyibi 74), Cassidy, Lowe. Subs - Mooney, Holmes, Boland, Brown, Rowe, Stockton.

Carlisle United - Pickford, O'Hanlon, Thirlwell, Meppen-Walter (Brown 65), Symington, Berrett, Potts, Redmond (Novo 78), Chantler, Madine, Guy (Byrne 65). Subs - Fleming, Lynch, Brough, Dempsey.


Referee - Mr Stuart Attwell

Attendance - 5,215 (456 away fans)

Advertisement block