Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

YOUTH: United 3 - 5 Queen of the South

8 July 2014

Queen of the South turn it round to win game

Visitors Queen of the South recovered from a poor start to bag five goals which secured their victory in what was an entertaining fixture at Creighton on Tuesday afternoon.

The young Blues, playing their first pre-season fixture since their return to training last week, started like a house on fire and deservedly took the lead when Matt Douglas timed a near post run to perfection. His touch left the Queens stopper with no chance as it flew into the bottom corner.

The away side rallied and Danny Eccles had to move smartly to tip a dipping free kick wide of the post as it threatened to find its way into the net. 

United recovered their shape and Elliott and Marshall combined to carve their way down the left flank and into a dangerous position. Elliott battled hard as he came under pressure on the edge of the box and his tackle left Jason Blackburn with the ball at his feet. The big striker dropped a shoulder and rode two challenges before sweeping an unstoppable shot past the keeper.

Blackburn dropped deeper for the next attack and his inch perfect through ball released Hammell as he arrived late to support the play. He had to shoot early and a two-handed save stopped the celebrations in their tracks.

It was all Carlisle and they took their tally to three with just half of the first half played when another smart passing move put Tom White in a good area. He unleashed a powerful thunderbolt which bulged the roof of the net via a slight deflection from a late block from a full stretch defender.

A momentary lapse of concentration from a huge kick forward brought the Queens back into it when Ali Berry showed strength to make it his own. A measured lob left Eccles with no option but to watch as it dropped over his line.

Visiting tails were up and Eccles completed an excellent save moments before half time when another well struck set piece beat the wall. His full length dive brought a fingertip touch which diverted the goal bound effort onto the bar.

Queen of the South took control after the break and they were back within touching distance just after the hour when Owen Moxon stepped in to take control of a loose pass. His connection was firm as Fowler tried to close him down.

And it was all-square just five minutes later when an overlap on the right brought another pinpoint cross. Jake Pickard opened himself up and popped a deft header past the rooted stopper.

United found it hard to get going and the Queens took the lead for the first time in the game when Dylan Neill lost his marker inside the area. He made no mistake as he rifled a sweetly struck volley right at the target.

Tow White and Jason Blackburn went close as the Cumbrians pushed for an equaliser but they were dealt a killer blow in time added on when a ball into the box caused confusion. Jake Pickard took advantage and netted his second of the day as he kept his head and finished things off.

United - Eccles (Fowler 46), Hurley (Quigley 46), Douglas, Taylor (Rudd 46), Marshall (Rudd 68), Moyes, White, Hammell (Taylor 68), Bradbury (Pearson 46), Blackburn, Elliott (Bradbury 68).


United - Douglas (6), Blackburn (13), White (23); Queens - Berry (27), Moxon (61), Neill (75), Pickard (67, 90)

Advertisement block