Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 1 - 2 Millers

22 February 2014

Agard grabs late, late winner ...

Rotherham United extended their unbeaten run to seven games with a late smash and grab raid which left the Cumbrians with nothing to show from an afternoon of frustrating football.

Rotherham won a succession of corners as they started brightly from the kick off but United defended well with Miller and Meppen-Walter getting in the way. Agard reacted first to the third ball into the box but his flicked header looped high and over the bar.

A long ball over the top had Wes Thomas interested as he chased into the penalty box but Pickford reacted well to race off his line. His punch was firm as he collided with the striker and sent it clear.

The Millers used the advantage of the wind at their backs well and Pringle ran across the back line to nick it as O'Hanlon tried to clear. The midfielder took a touch and let one fly but Pickford dropped low to gather.

The visitors should have taken the lead when Arnason propelled a huge throw into the Carlisle area. Davis flicked it on and Thomas was left with the goal at his mercy just 8 yards out at the far post. He tried to place his volley and was left to explain how he hadn't even hit the target.

United replied with a good attack of their own when Redmond pulled left to take possession. His pass through the back line left Rotherham flat but Potts couldn't gather as he stretched a toe out to meet it.

Another testing delivery brought an attempted clearance from Ekangamene but it skimmed off his head and caused all kinds of confusion. Miller kept his head and spun on the spot to clear the ball from the base of the post.

Carlisle picked their moments to go forward and Potts found Amoo with a slide rule pass which set the wide man on his way. He carried it to the edge of the box but his shot through legs went just an inch the wrong way.

The United goal led a charmed life on 17 minutes when Thomas beat the offside trap to go one on one with Pickford. He went for an early shot and was left red faced as it spun off his laces and off towards the corner flag.

Disaster struck for the hosts on 24 minutes when a Noble free kick on the edge of the Rotherham box slammed into the wall. The Millers hooked it clear and a lack of communication between O'Hanlon, Meppen-Walter and Pickford left them in a heap on the floor as the keeper tried to head it clear. Wes Thomas watched in amazement as the ball ran clear and he made no mistake as he swept it into the empty net.

Carlisle looked nervy at the back but they kept a string of deliveries into the area at arms length as Tavernier and Pringle pulled the strings from deep. Revell was next to have a go when he controlled a high ball on his chest just inside the box. He volleyed as it dropped and placed it over the target.

More hesitation in defence left Pickford wrong-footed again when Robson waited for the swirling ball to fall at his feet. His touch, under pressure, sent it across the face of goal and there was relief as Chimbonda hooked it away.

The Millers stayed forward and a free kick from Tavernier on the halfway line found Revell with time on his hands. He tried to lob the header over Pickford but he could only find the top of the net.

The pressure had been intense throughout the first half but Carlisle went down the tunnel with smiles on their faces when Redmond clipped a free kick from the centre circle onto the penalty spot. Brad Potts kept the half clearance alive, O'Hanlon flicked it on and Lee Miller completed another wonderful overhead kick to leave Adam Collin with no chance as it popped itself into the bottom corner.

Rotherham started the second half on the attack but Tavernier was guilty of a wild effort when he opted to volley a clearance from an Arnason long throw from distance. He caught it well but it was always going wide.

A lovely bit of skill from Redmond took him away from his man as he dummied the ball but Collin watched the cross and scooped it up off the floor. There was drama at the other end as Amoo misplaced a pass and allowed Thomas to go forward. Meppen-Walter raced across to make a vital block.

Flick ons from Revell and Thomas left Agard in a good position on the edge of the area and he wasted no time in going for the shot as he met it on the run. Pickford moved across to cover but he was happy to allow it to run wide.

The Millers pounced on a mistake from Ekangamene as he sent a pass into midfield and Thomas ran free with just Pickford in his path. The keeper spread himself and made a good save as he dived in the way. The rebound sat nicely for Pringle but he held back on the shot and United were able to recover.

Matt Robson had a sight of the target with a 28 yard free kick as Carlisle battled to ease the pressure but he couldn't keep it down and it settled on the roof of the net. More good build up play from the home side, as Robson, Miller and Byrne exchanged passes, left Redmond with an opening but he lost his balance as he blazed his shot wide.

Brad Potts sent a 28-yard free kick over the bar as the game peaked and troughed its way through the closing stages but the long awaited introduction of former-Gers striker Nacho Novo brought the crowd to its feet when he came on with 10 minutes left to play.

Half chances came and went, with Adams wasteful as the ball fell at his feet at the back post, and the Millers had to defend deep when the home side threw men forward in search of a winner without quite managing to get a clean shot on goal.

The game looked to be heading for a draw until Rotherham nicked it deep into time added on when Revell went for a direct run on the right flank. His low cross was perfect for Kieran Agard who timed his volley beautifully to leave Pickford flapping at thin air.



United - Miller (45+2)

Millers - Thomas (24), Agard (90)



United - Meppen-Walter (77)

Millers - Davis (64), Arnason (65)


Carlisle United - Pickford, Chimbonda, O'Hanlon, Meppen-Walter, Robson, Ekangamene, Noble (Byrne 68), Potts, Redmond (Novo 79), Amoo, Miller. Subs - Fleming, Chantler, Symington, Brough, Guy.

Rotherham United - Collin, Skarz, Arnason, Davis, Frecklington, Revell, Pringle, Agard, Thomas (Adams 75), Tavernier, Smallwood. Subs - Shearer, Brindley, O'Connor, Addison, Vuckic, Hitchcock.


Referee - Mr Stephen Martin

Attendance - 4,293 (688 away fans)

Advertisement block