Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

LADIES: Newlaithes 1 - 5 United

20 February 2014

United progress in the Cumberland Cup

Four goals from Philippa Harmison and one from Kathryn Kelly were enough to see United progress to the Semi Finals of the County Cup at the expense of Cumbria Women’s League side Newlaithes Ladies, Richard Mallinson writes ...

The opening exchanges were even although Newlaithes were limited to a couple of speculative long range efforts which didn’t trouble the United defence as Gillian McGimpsey and Melissa Mallin dealt with everything comfortably. 

United created a good opportunity on 5 minutes when Kerri Mallinson’s effort was saved at the second attempt by the Newlaithes keeper. 

As the game progressed, United settled into the game and began to spread the play and take advantage of the width of the pitch with Kat Kelly and Jenna Ullyart making strong runs down the wings all afternoon. 

United had a penalty shout on 15 minutes when a Jenna Ullyart effort was handled by a defender however the referee ruled that the strike had taken place on the edge of the area. Unfortunately Sharina Robinson was unable to capitalise from the resultant free kick. 

The arrears weren’t level for long as Philippa Harmison gave United the lead on 18 minutes when a swift break and neat throughball was confidently finished by Harmison. 

The lead was doubled on 23 minutes when Newlaithes lost the ball on the left and Harmison cut in and found the net. 

The home side were again punished three minutes later when the vibrant United midfield won the ball and released Harmison who sealed her hat-trick. 

United made the divisional difference show and the score became 4-0 on 34 minutes when a goalmouth scramble resulted in the ball again being finished by Harmison following an effort from Ullyart.

A fifth was added in the 37th minute when Kathryn Kelly was released by Mallinson and she finished from the edge of the area.

United used the second half to switch formations and this worked as Newlaithes came out vibrantly in the second half creating a couple of half chances that were well dealt with by the United defence.

Newlaithes first real chance of note came when a strong shot from around 20 yards was saved by keeper Rosy Ryan who made a full stretch save.

United created some pressure and on 55 minutes a corner found Becky Adam who headed the ball towards the Newlaithes goal. The United players appealed that the ball had crossed the line but the referee overruled his linesman who had also indicated a goal so the score remained 5-0. 

United’s change of formation had nullified the game and although there were several good chances, United didn’t add to their 5-0 lead.

On 70 minutes, Newlaithes scored a consolation goal when the defence stood off the Newlaithes attacker who slipped the ball past Ryan.

United had a couple of other opportunities but couldn’t find the net to extend their lead. Overall, United put in a professional performance against their opponents and showed on the day the difference in sharpness and determination. 

Credit to Newlaithes Ladies who never gave up and we wish them well for the remainder of  their season.

United: Ryan, Nixon, Owen, Mallin, McGimpsey, Kelly, Mallinson, Robinson, Ullyart, Cameron (Adam), Harmison.

Man of the Match for United – Philippa Harmison

Advertisement block