Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Coventry 1 - 2 United

18 February 2014

Two great goals do the trick ...

Carlisle United got back to away day winning ways in some style as they dominated and turned possession into points against a much fancied Coventry City outfit.

United started well and tenacity in the tackle from O'Hanlon earned them a free kick with just 50 seconds on the clock. Redmond sent it into the area but Murphy was well positioned to grasp a direct header from Potts. 

Coventry responded with a long ball over the top for debut striker Chuba Akpom to chase. He wriggled his way past Robson but he crossed off balance and Pickford picked up the pieces. 

The Sky Blues went close on 11 minutes when Fleck stole a yard on the right. His cross skipped up awkwardly off the lumpy surface and Moussa could only guide his shot into the arms of the waiting keeper.

Carlisle used their early possession well and a whipped cross from Ekangamene exposed a gap as the back line struggled to recover. Miller and Drennan raced after it but neither could make the touch. 

A free kick on Miller presented Redmond with another opportunity to swing the ball into the mix and he wheeled away in disappointment as another rasper went all the way through when all it needed was a touch. 

Midfielder Carl Baker had stars in his eyes at the other end when a wayward pass left him in space. He went for the glory shot but drilled his effort high over the bar. 

A neat passage of play almost opened things for United when Miller stayed strong with his back to goal. He fed it inside to Redmond and his slide rule pass was just an inch in front of Potts as he arrived late in the box. 

The visitors took a grip of the game and they went close again midway through the half when a cross from Chimbonda looped into the air. Drennan went for an overhead kick but he missed his shot and the loose ball was cleared. 

More good football left Chimbonda with time on the right flank and his cross was flicked on nicely by Drennan. Lee Miller had a tight angle and he rattled his volley into the side netting. 

But it was Coventry who took the lead when Moussa sparked a move forward with a hopeful ball into the area. Meppen-Walter hooked it clear but Baker wasted no time in getting it down and feeding it to Akpom. Moussa had followed the passage of play and a deft lay-off left him with a clear sight of the target. He didn't disappoint as he squeezed his shot under Pickford and into the back of the net. 

The Sky Blues stayed forward and loanee Michael Petrasso battled his way through to have a pop at goal. Pickford held his position and stopped it in its tracks. Chrsitie then tried one from distance, urged on by the crowd, but the Carlisle keeper did well to grasp it at the second attempt as it bounced just in front of him. 

A strong finish to the first half from Coventry had the United fans behind the goal biting their nails as Chrisitie twisted and turned to complete a fizzing cross. Pickford punched it into the air and he had to be up quickly on his feet as a follow up header threatened to creep in just under the bar. 

Coventry should have doubled their lead within a minute of the restart when Akpom twisted and turned his way to the byline. His cut back found Baker but he lost his balance as he tried to turn and shoot and he dragged it well wide. 

United fashioned a decent opening of their own on 50 minutes when Noble spread the play with a fantastic crossfield pass. Chimbonda took it into his stride and clipped a lovely low ball across the face of goal. Drennan was there but he couldn't quite stretch to get the touch it needed. 

But Carlisle were back on level terms with their very next attack when Potts beat his man and left him for dead on the halfway line. Miller took over, and back heeled it to Redmond, who then had the presence of mind to put a shot on a plate for Liam Noble. He kept his cool and finished off a wonderful move in some amount of style. 

The Cumbrians turned on the magic again on 67 minutes when they passed the ball from back to front using Redmond, Robson, Drennan and Miller. Noble timed his run to take the shot and Thomas had to clear as Murphy parried the dipping ball back towards the penalty spot.   

United claimed their deserved lead moments later when substitute Sam Byrne, who had been on the pitch for just two minutes, capitalised as he was played clean through. It was a difficult angle but he lifted it over Murphy as he advanced off his line. 

Carlisle looked good for their lead but they were reminded there was still work to do when Chimbonda shepherded a high ball into the area away for a corner. McGeouch got it in at the second attempt and Meppen-Walter had to stretch to head it clear. 

And there was more drama to come as a wicked cross found Akpom just six yards out with the goal at his mercy. His header had back of the net written all over it until Robson somehow pulled off an unbelievable block on the line. And his intervention proved to be crucial as the Cumbrians held on to take their well deserved points. 



Coventry - Moussa (32)

United - Noble (55), Byrne (69)



Coventry - Webster (71)

United - Meppen-Walter (47)



Coventry City - Murphy, Christie, Webster, Seaborne, Clarke, Thomas, Fleck (Daniels 73), Baker (McGeouch 73), Moussa, Akpom, Petrasso. Subs - Willis, Haynes, Barton, Mauno, Burge.

Carlisle United - Pickford, Chimbonda, O’Hanlon, Meppen-Walter, Robson, Ekangamene, Noble (Chantler 87), Potts, Redmond (Amoo 79), Drennan (Byrne 67), Miller. Subs - Fleming, Symington, Guy, Novo.


Referee - Mr Stephen Bratt

Attendance - 1,603 (191 away fans)

Advertisement block