Wycombe 3 - 1 United

Wycombe hit back to take points ...

Three second half goals handed Wycombe their second victory of the season as United contributed to their own downfall on a frustrating away day afternoon.

An early foul by Dempsey on Jacobson invited a free kick routine but Kretzschmar couldn't beat Potts as he charged the move down.

United survived loud appeals for a penalty as Wycombe tried to get their forward play going with Cowan-Hall going shoulder to shoulder with O'Hanlon. The officials had a look but eventually waved play on.

The Cumbrians earned a corner from a good passage of play when Meppen-Walter spread the play to Potts. He linked with Paynter and Poerre had to step across and tackle. The Chairboys recovered for the set piece and a sweeping pass from defence put Wood on the edge of the box. His first cross was blocked and his second was volleyed well wide by Murphy.

A long ball forward and a flick from Paynter almost opened things up for United as Potts ran from deep. He had Mawson in close attendance but he did well to bully his way into a shooting position. Ingram was committed but Potts twice scuffed shots right into his midriff.

Wycombe responded with a long ball forward of their own and a cross from Cowan-Hall found Murphy on his toes. His header rattled the bar moments before the assistant referee raised his offside flag.

The hosts made use of the high ball as often as they could and the direct approach almost paid off on the half hour when Meppen-Walter had to stretch to meet a Kretzschmar delivery. It dropped out of the sky onto Cowan-Hall's boot but he couldn't keep his volleyed effort down.

Midfielder Peter Murphy carried it forward from midfield moments later and he almost caught Gillespie off guard when he stepped inside and let one go. He struck it well but it was always heading wide.

Wycombe picked up the pace just ahead of the break and Kretzschmar just needed a touch as Cowan-Hall swung a low cross to the near post. A foul by Meppen-Walter on the same man on the edge of the area caused worry from the next home attack but Mawson was wasteful when he sent his set piece into the wall.

The home side picked up where they left off after the break with Murphy clipping Wood into a good area. He had to hold off a challenge from Symington and his shot, when it came, went wide.

Trickery from Wood caused yet more problems when he skipped into the box and his cross had to be hooked clear by Brough as Hayes lurked.

A slick short corner routine gave Wycombe the lead when Aaron Pierre timed a late run to the far post to meet a dipping delivery. His header had power and left Gillespie with no chance.

United responded quickly when substitute Stephen Elliott pulled wide and into space. He took a touch, then curled it into the area, and Brad Potts did the rest with a thundering close range finish.

Strength from Kyle Dempsey gave United another chance within moments of their goal when the young forward chested a bouncing ball under control. He cut back but couldn't get the power his right foot shot needed.

Carlisle looked comfortable but Wycombe regained the lead when a O'Hanlon and Pierre challenged fir a high ball into the box. A raised hand from the United defender came into contact with the ball and Paul Hayes stroked the resulting spot kick home with the minimum of fuss.

A late volley from Peter Murphy secured the home points, when he finished from close range, and the misery was compounded in the away dugout when Alex Marrow was shown a second yellow card.

And that removed any hopes of a late comeback as the Chairboys utilised their one man advantage to close down the space and see the game out.



Wycombe - Pierre (55), Hayes (75 pen), Murphy (80)

United - Potts (57)



United - Meppen-Walter (42), Marrow (50 & 82)



Wycombe Wanderers - Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, Poerre, Mawson, Cowan-Hall (Rowe 84), Murphy, Kretzschmar, Wood, Hayes (Craig 81), McClure (Holloway 84). Subs - Richardson, Bloomfield, Morias, Walker.

Carlisle United - Gillespie, Symington, O'Hanlon, Meppen-Walter, Robson (Brough 46), Dicker (Elliott 46), Potts, Marrow, Sweeney, Dempsey, Paynter (Kearns 67). Subs - Hanford, Grainger, Thirlwell, Gillies.


Referee - Mr Charles Breakspear

Attendance - 3,121 (310 away fans)
Read Time: 4 mins