Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FRIENDLY: United 2 - 1 St Mirren

1 August 2014

Minute by minute report from the St Mirren friendly

United completed their pre-season friendly schedule with a home game against Scottish Premier League side St Mirren on Friday night.

3 mins - St Mirren started well but an early deep corner was wasted when Tesselar lobbed a poor cross past the post when he had space and time.

5 mins - United started to find their passes and Paynter and Marrow combined to put Potts into a good area. A late challenge dumped him to the floor and Kello did well to drop low and stop a crisply struck 19-yard free kick from Symington.

8 mins - Dicker was strong in the tackle in midfield and his crossfield pass took Amoo past his man. He spotted the keeper out of position but a powerful long range shot was angled well wide.

13 mins - Meppen-Walter caught Goodwin on the edge of the area but McLean couldn't beat the wall as he took charge of the free kick. Billy Paynter picked up the loose ball and his clever run left a pass through the middle for Potts. He used pace to reach the opposition box and it needed a timely tackle to stop him in his tracks.

17 mins - The Buddies carved their way past the back line and Ball did well with a cut back which put it on a plate for Ball. Gillespie kept his eye on the move and produced a superb save from very close range.

19 mins - St Mirren stayed forward and McLean called for it on the half way line. His run forward brought an early shot which Gillespie had to drop low to gather.

22 mins - It was a good spell for the visitors and a cross from the left was touched on by Ball. Brown was onto it quickly but his volley lacked power and the Carlisle stopper saw it all the way.

24 mins - Danny Grainger claimed the goal of pre-season award all-hands-down with a peach perfect 25 yard free kick. His dipping effort cleared the wall and left Kello flapping at thin air.

29 mins - Meppen-Walter strode out of defence and spread the ball wide to Symington. He beat his man and found Paynter in the box but the big striker sent his shot on the spin right at Kello.

32 mins - Carlisle had to defend as the Saints peppered the box with crosses. O'Hanlon, Meppen-Walter and Grainger did the hard work as they stood up to the test.

38 mins - Amoo rode a challenge to release Marrow and his deflected shot edged just wide as he tried to find the bottom corner. Grainger delivered the set piece and Paynter was unlucky to see his instinctive volley fly wide of the upright.

39 mins - Goodwin took a short free kick in a dangerous area and Marrow said thank you very much as he slid in to steal it. Amoo called for it and a perfect pass put him one on one with the keeper. He opened his body and he thought he'd scored until his bending shot rattled back off the post.

40 mins - Symington found a yard of space on the right flank and he wasted no time in unleashing a thunderbolt which Kello could only parry. Brough picked it up and his pass inside to Amoo was dummied for Potts to shoot. The midfielder lost his footing at the crucial moment and St Mirren were able to hook it clear.

42 mins - The Buddies had a good spell just before half time and Gillespie completed another superb save as Ball found some unexpected space. The grass cutter was struck well but the save matched the quality of the shot.

47 mins - Excellent work from Symington took him past two in midfield. Potts overlapped and his cross had to be cleared as Paynter raced in at the back stick.

50 mins - Dicker dropped a shoulder and slid a neat pass through to Marrow who set off on a direct run for the edge of the area. Brough moved up in support but Ridgers was off his line smartly to claim the cross.

53 mins - Paynter battled for possession and Potts took over with only one thing in mind. His shot from 35 yards was grasped down low by Ridgers.

55 mins - Dempsey and Paynter had shots blocked as Carlisle pushed men forward. The Buddies eventually scrambled it behind as the yellow shirts queued up.

63 mins - Marrow and Symington exchanged passes for the latter to try his luck from 18 yards. He put his boot through it but his powerful shot was always going high.

72 mins - Wylde was disappointed with himself as he misplaced a driven free kick and almost found a corner flag.

75 mins - A terrible clearance from the keeper left Dempsey with options as he beat his man and ran at goal. He kept his cool and slid it across to Danny Kearns who had the simple job of rolling the ball into the empty net.

77 mins - St Mirren responded almost immediately with an incisive move down the Carlisle left. A deep cross found Reilly unmarked and his downward header was well placed as Gillespie tried to get a hand to it.

82 mins - More quick passing took Sweeney on the overlap. Dempsey took over and his shot had to be held by Ridgers as Rigg followed in.

85 mins - United kept trying to get forward and and Rigg fed Kearns who was in plenty of space. The confident midfielder opened his body but screwed his shot well wide in the end.

88 mins - McGinn fizzed a snapshot just over the bar as St Mirren bundled the ball around the edge of the box. Gillespie looked comfortable as it shaved the top of the woodwork.

United - Gillespie, O'Hanlon (Archibald-Henville 61), Meppen-Walter (Sweeney 55), Grainger, Symington, Brough (Thirlwell 61), Dicker, Potts (Kearns 55), Marrow (Rigg 80), Amoo (Dempsey 46), Paynter. Subs - Hanford, Gillies.

Goals - Grainger (24), Kearns (75)

St Mirren - Kello (Ridgers 46), Naismith, Plummer, Goodwin, McGinn, McLean, Wylde, Brown, Tesselar (Reilly 61), Caldwell, Ball (Teale 67). Subs - Kelly, Williams, Hughes.

Goal - Reilly (77)

Attendance - 1,559 (369 away fans)

Advertisement block