Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 1 - 0 Swindon

5 April 2014

Hard work earns crucial home win ...

Carlisle United grabbed a vital win against play-off chasing Swindon Town thanks to their fourth clean sheet in five games and a neat finish from Owls loanee Gary Madine. 

A bright start from the home side brought an early corner which Foderingham had to punch clear. Thirlwell popped it back to the edge of the box but a push on Stephens gave the visitors a free kick which eased the pressure.

A high ball forward found Madine with space and his chest control opened a gap for a volley. He took it as it hit the floor and it spun wide of the upright off the top of his boot.

Madine almost turned provider as United stayed on the front foot but his through ball for the late run from Berrett had just too much on it and the keeper was able to clear.

A foul on Michael Smith from Chimbonda gave the Robins their first chance of the afternoon but the outswinging set piece was an inch in front of Stephens. And the same player was invited to run forward moments later when a half clearance fell at his feet. He let fly from distance but it was always going over the bar.

Carlisle regained the initiative and nice football left Redmond with the ball at his feet on the edge of the box. He hesitated, but Berrett followed up with a piledriver which had to be blocked. Madine rose highest to meet the corner but he couldn't keep the header down and it rose high over the bar.

A cross shot from Potts caught Swindon light at the back but Madine and Amoo were left with their heads in their hands as they left it for each other and the ball ran harmlessly away to safety.

Swindon tried to slow things down and Miles Storey tried his luck from distance when he was allowed to creep forward. It was a good connection but he couldn't keep it down. 

It was a better spell for the Robins as they controlled the midfield play but it was Carlisle who almost opened the scoring when Berrett sent a lovely delivery into the box. Madine powered onto the header but Foderingham somehow stretched himself to make a fantastic save.

The lobbed clearance from the acrobatic stop found Michael Smith with grass to run onto and he had support as Cox and Kasim strode forward. The cross was teasing but O'Hanlon protected his goal as he stepped in front of the attackers.

The pace of the game slowed as both sides sat deep with the ball but United sparked life into the crowd when Chimbonda found Potts just inside the Swindon half. His forceful run took him to the byline and his cut back was perfect for Madine to control. Two touches got the ball out of the big striker's feet and he finished it off beautifully as he spun and poked a shot into the bottom corner.

United ended the half on top with Madine and O'Hanlon sending efforts wide, and Redmond had a shot blocked as the whistle blew to thundering applause from an appreciative crowd.

A free kick on the right gave Swindon the first chance after the break and Pickford had to dive across to save as Alex Smith sent it over the wall. Stephens got to the corner when it dropped at the near post but he couldn't guide his header on target.

United broke forward as they cleared their lines and Chantler put Potts on the overlap with a well timed pass.  He crossed on the run but it bobbled agonisingly across the face of goal, as Foderingham fell to the floor, until Luongo swept it clear.

Swindon came right back into it as they pushed men forward and Michael Smith had a wonderful chance when he was sent clean through by Kasim. He hurried his effort and Pickford was able to make a comfortable save. 

Substitute Alex Pritchard then had options left and right as the Robins kept probing and he was left to apologise for his wastefulness when he opted to shoot and left it easy for Pickford.

A run of corners followed for the Robins and former Blues loanee Troy Archibald-Henville popped a header over from close range as the pressure started to mount.

United were denied what was a clear penalty midway through the half when a dinked touch from Madine was stopped by a hand as he tried to spin away. The referee waved play on much to the disgust of the crowd.

Chances were at a premium through the closing stages and Louis Thompson showed his frustration when he shot from long range when he couldn't find a way through. Pickford was happy to see it go wide.

The Robins were restricted to shots from distance as Carlisle played on the break, but midfielder James Berrett added to the Brunton Park selection worries when he received a second yellow card deep into time added on.

But it was the result the home side deserved and the crowd showed their appreciation for what was another gritty performance when the final whistle eventually blew. 



United - Madine (37)



United - Berrett (33 & 90)

Swindon - Stephens (17)



Carlisle United - Pickford, Chimbonda, Thirlwell, O'Hanlon, Symington, Chantler, Potts, Berrett, Amoo, Madine, Redmond (Brown 62). Subs - Fleming, S Byrne, Brough, Guy, Meppen-Walter, Novo.

Swindon Town - Foderingham, N Thompson (N Byrne 65), Luongo (L Thompson 70), McEvely, Kasim, Storey, A Smith, Cox (Pritchard 46), M Smith, Stephens, Archibald-Henville. Subs - Belford, Waldon, Branco, Gladwin.


Referee - Mr Nigel Miller

Attendance - 4,055 (288)

Advertisement block