Shortlist to be finalised
Carlisle United Football Club can today confirm that the process of appointing a new manager is ongoing with over 50 applicants having expressed an interest in the vacant position.
“We held a meeting with Graham Kavanagh, David Irons and Tony Caig this morning [Tuesday] and we have asked them to carry on the good work they have been doing for us as we head into the Stevenage game at the weekend,” managing director John Nixon explained.
“We are very pleased with the way they approached what was a very difficult situation last week and with the manner in which they have prepared the staff and squad for another busy week.”
“As we said at the beginning of last week, ideally we would have been in a position to make a permanent appointment ahead of this Saturday’s game,” he said. “However, we reviewed the list of applicants on Thursday afternoon and, at that point, we drew up an extended shortlist – which included Graham Kavanagh – of seven people. They were invited to the Sheffield United game and a number of them sent representatives to look at the fixture on their behalf.
“Over the course of the weekend we received another 14 applications, all of which have to be looked at closely. Those applications are currently being discussed by our board of directors and we expect to have a second shortlist finalised by Thursday morning.
“With this late run of applications we have decided to extend the selection process to make sure that it is completed as thoroughly and as fairly as possible. We should be at the interview stage during the early part of next week and, all being well, will able to make an announcement when that part of the selection process has drawn to a close.”
“The standard of applicant is very high,” he confirmed. “There are some well known names included and there are a lot of factors to be considered.
“I would say that Graham Kavanagh is the sitting tenant and he has placed himself in a strong position with the work he and his staff have done so far.”