LADIES: Man City 5 - 3 United

Another exciting game for the Ladies

Thank you to Richard Mallinson for this report from the weekend fixture against Manchester City.

United travelled to Wythenshawe to face an in form City side and handed Callie Martin her first start. 

City were sharply out of the blocks on their 3G surface which complemented their style of play. City have a formidable home record on the 3G and quickly created half chances which were thwarted by United keeper Laura Miller. United began to settle into the game and came close through Chelsie Browbank and Philippa Harmison. 

The first goal of the game went to the home side on 20 minutes when a corner was headed into the goal from 12 yards by the home skipper. 

As the season has gone on, it seems that United are more determined after conceding and this was once again the case as United continued to grow into the game creating multiple chances before Mallinson released Browbank who beat a defender and smashed home from the angle of the 18 yard area. City struck back immediately when their lively forward created an opportunity and gave Miller no chance. 

United continued to battle and produced some energetic moves however they couldn’t draw level; City scored a third before the interval against the run of play.

Half Time: Manchester City 3 Carlisle United 1

The second half began with United on top with the attacking players really causing the City defence some problems. 

On the hour, Browbank broke again and produced an almost identical finish to her first to reduce the arrears who was assisted by Laura Owen. 

United continued to battle however luck was not on the Cumbrians’ side as City scored a fourth following a questionable free kick which was awarded to the home side. United had to withdraw Cally Martin through injury who was replaced by Jenna Ullyart; Martin had made an impressive full debut.

In a rare City attack, United defender Gillian McGimpsey was knocked out following a blow to the head following a collision on the edge of the 18 yard box, the play carried on and eventually the ball found a City forward who slotted in from 6 yards. 

It was disappointing that the play was not stopped following a head injury to a United player and McGimpsey had to be withdrawn. She was taken to hospital and thankfully later received the all clear from medical staff.

A patched up United pulled a goal back through Ullyart who produced a smart finish to make the score 5-3 following some good play from Sharina Robinson however it wasn’t to be United’s day as they continued to press.

Overall, this was a game where United put a great deal of effort in for little reward. United adapted well to the surface and on another day would have gained at least a point. It was encouraging that the players who United drafted in for the game adapted well and every player put in a solid performance.

United’s injury list is continuing to grow, hopefully there will be a change of luck in the coming weeks beginning next week as they travel to Padiham looking to seek revenge following a 3-1 defeat at Creighton earlier in the season.

United: Miller, Ryan, Owen, McGimpsey (Gannon), Wharton, Kelly, Martin (Ullyart), Robinson, Mallinson, Browbank, Harmison.

Goals: Browbank (2), Ullyart.
Read Time: 3 mins