Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 2 - 1 Boreham Wood

19 November 2013

Late turnaround takes United through ...

Carlisle United booked their place in round two of this season's FA Cup competition but they were given a scare by conference south side Boreham Wood as they had to wait for two late goals to claim their win.

Strikers Mark Beck and Lee Miller eventually did the job but it was a lesson in persistence and patience as the visitors worked hard to try to cause the upset.

And keeper Greg Fleming received a deserved round of applause as he left the field of play following a vital first half spot kick save which kept his side in the hunt despite their poor early showing.

Boreham Wood came to make their mark, with Cox and Moli seeing plenty of the ball, but United threatened first with a run from Amoo down the right flank. His low cross had Miller scampering but Montgomery swept it away as he edged back towards his goal.

Matt Robson was disappointed when he sent a 28-yard free kick high into the Warwick as everyone waited for one of his set piece specials, but it was a slick corner routine from The Wood which caught the eye as a rolled delivery from Montgomery was dummied by Cox. Callum Reynolds was next in the queue and Thirlwell did well to block what was a powerful drive. 

More neat play in the United half from Moli and Garrard left Montgomery with a clear run into the area and he wheeled away in disgust as he opted for precision with his shot. Fleming was beaten and relieved to see it skip past his upright.

A high ball forward from O'Hanlon found Miller in space and his nod down brought a lovely touch from Guy. Robson streaked clear but his early shot bobbled harmlessly away. 

Carlisle started to see more of the ball and a Robson corner just needed a firm touch from Chimbonda as he steamed in from the edge of the box. Wide man David Amoo also made a move and the pair clashed just when it needed a calm head and a moment of poise.

Boreham worked hard to close the gaps and an Amoo delivery caught O'Loughlin off guard as it skipped up into his midriff. Guy and Miller homed in but the defender did enough to guide it away.

A free kick from the right caused more problems for United as it spooned up into the air off Lewis Guy. It eventually fell for Morgan but he snatched at the 18-yard volley and it flew over the bar. 

The visitors soaked up everything United threw forward and they started to hunt in packs as they kept pushing on and into the opposition half. 

Moli dragged one wide as he made a gap and the unthinkable happened moments later when Amoo lost out to a flicked header from Cox in midfield. Garrard ran into the area and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot as Chimbonda hacked him to the ground. The big midfielder picked himself up and swept the spot kick into the back of the net.

It could have been worse with the very next attack when Moli went up against Townsend and O’Hanlon on the right hand edge of the Carlisle area. Another late challenge brought a second definite penalty but Fleming followed the flight of the ball and completed a one-handed save as Garrard lost the battle of wills on this occasion. Charlie O’Loughlin missed a free header from the resulting dipping corner and Moli wasted another opening as he tried to thump his shot rather than play his strike partner into the space.

Townsend pushed forward in support of Robson as the Cumbrians tried to assert some authority but a string of crosses were dealt with as Boreham held their shape.

United had the last attack of the half when Robson carried the move down the left flank. His cross found Miller in a good position but he was under pressure and his header was always heading wide.

A deflected 35-yard free kick from Matt Robson welcomed the arrival of the second half and David Amoo kept it alive from the corner when he dinked it towards the keeper. A punch from Russell brought control from Noble but his effort was stopped on the line as it hurtled past James Russell. 

United had plenty of possession and territory but Russell was in confident mood as he claimed much of what came his way. Robson, Townsend, Noble and Berrett all had a go but good defending and decision making from the stopper kept the blue tide at bay. 

Berrett opened the defence up on 67 minutes with a lovely crossfield pass but it was proving to be a difficult night as Robson's first time cross was cleared by O'Loughlin. Quick passing followed but Berrett had two on his shoulder and his volley curled off into the distance.

A run from Lipman reminded the home side there was still defending to do as he went three against three but a touch from Townsend did the trick as it allowed Thirlwell to clear. 

Russell earned more applause with 12 minutes left to play when Chimbonda got on the end of a good move to whisk the ball in. Miller made it his own but the keeper somehow clawed it from beneath his bar. The ball stayed alive and the home side finally got their goal when Symington clipped it back into the mix. Lee Miller had to backtrack but he made no mistake as he looped it over the keeper to level the scores.

The woodwork came into play as Carlisle threw men forward in a frantic closing ten minutes and that left space at the back for Boreham to try to exploit. A one-two between Moli and Ball left the latter free and clear but he went for an audacious chip which Fleming found easy to save.

The action swung from end to end and it was a last ditch finish from Mark Beck as he followed up on a parry from a Berrett shot from 25 yards which finally settled the tie. 



United - Miller (80), Beck (90+5)

Boreham - Garrard (29 pen)



United - Noble (90)

Boreham - Ball (86), Jones (90), Garrard (90)



Carlisle United - Fleming, McSweeney (Berrett 55), Chimbonda, O'Hanlon, Townsend, Amoo (Symington 59), Noble, Thirlwell, Robson, Miller, Guy (Beck 65). Subs - Brass, Chantler, Livesey, Potts.

Boreham Wood - Russell, Nunn, Jones, Cox, O'Loughlin, Reynolds, Montgomery, Garrard, Moli (Sterling-Parker 89), Lipman (Ball 85), Morgan. Subs - Whichelow, Moto, Courtnage, Lobjoit, Hastings.


Referee - Mr Mark Haywood

Attendance - 1,484 (38 away fans)

Advertisement block