Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FRIENDLY: Garforth 0 - 6 United

16 July 2013

Updates from the Tuesday game

United travel to Yorkshire to play Garforth FC at the Genix Healthcare Stadium tonight [kick off 7.30pm] with United manager Greg Abbott looking forward to building up links with another club ahead of the start of the new campaign.

“This is one which we hope will work both ways," he said.

"We are looking to use Garforth as a base where we can train on the way down to some of our away games on that side of the country next season. Having spoken to them, they said we could use the facility free of charge if we gave them a friendly.

"This is a way for us to say thank you for that and, with that in mind, we're taking a very strong squad. 

"It's an opportunity for some of our lads to get a full 90 minutes and for all of them to build up their match fitness. 

"Hopefully there will be a decent crowd there and everyone will have an enjoyable night."

Town: Smith (Hagreen 46), Misambu, Sampayo, Allen, Jackson (Kirk 30), Greenhalgh (NDukura 46), Booker, Royles (Jheeta 46), Black, Devine, Tomkinson. Subs - Balis, Stevenson, McMurrough.

United: Gillespie, Potts (Gwinnutt 59), Livesey (Symington 59), Edwards, James, Thirlwell (Emerton 46), Lynch (Gillies 59), Guy (Salmon 46), Amoo (Kavanagh 59), Miller (Beck 46), Robson (Deacey 46).

Goals - Miller (8), Edwards (42), Emerton (59), Beck (73, 85, 89)

Att - 216


4 mins - Garforth won the first corner of the evening and a deep delivery was nodded back into the box by Devine. Jackson swung a boot at it and missed, and United were able to break.

5 mins - A quick break from the clearance left Robson one-on-one with the keeper. He went for a powerful shot which rattled back off the bar. Potts pounced on the rebound but he sent a wild shot into the distance.

6 mins - Lewis Guy worked hard to get into the box but a slight touch from Greenhalgh took him out of his stride. He spun to shoot but could only screw his effort wide of the target.

8 mins - Guy did the hard work when he beat his man and bore down on goal. Dom Smith held his position and made a good save as the striker tried to slot the ball through his legs.

8 mins - Carlisle camped forward and the ball eventually broke for Lee Miller 14 yards out. He picked his spot with a sweet strike into the bottom corner.

10 mins - More United pressure brought a corner from a deflected Miller header but Garforth did well to protect their lines as Guy and Miller waited for the delivery.

16 mins - Miller flicked a throw into the path of Guy but Jackson moved across to block the shot.

23 mins - Devine split the defence with a perfect pass for Booker and held the play up to allow Royles to gain ground. The midfielder lined up a distance shot and was disappointed to see it fly right at Gillespie.

24 mins - Ammo ran at the defence from deep and won a corner as Sampayo slid in to challenge.

27 mins - Persistence from Tomkinson put potts under pressure and he played safe by hooking the ball behind. Ben Jackson stayed forward and forced a tip over the bar from Gillespie when he poked a shot towards the top corner.

29 mins - Dom Smith produced a fine save from an Edwards header when Amoo curled a beautiful delivery into the area.

33 mins - Amoo broke into the box but caught in two minds when he drilled the ball across the face of goal and in front of Matt Robson.

35 mins - Matt Robson fed a lovely ball over the top for Guy to latch onto. He took a touch and volleyed his shot right at Smith.

36 mins - Nick Black dropped a shoulder and tried to rifle the ball through a ruck of bodies but he was off balance and he lifted his attempt high over the bar.

40 mins - A smart move started with Robson feeding James on the overlap and his cross-shot had to be dealt with by Smith as blue shirts converged.

42 mins - Mike Edwards expertly controlled a Robson corner as he trapped it, spun on the spot and drilled it into the back of the net despite a hand from Smith.

43 mins - Guy found himself one-on-one with Smith but the big keeper held his ground and completed the block.

44 mins - Guy and Miller combined to play Thirlwell through but a timely challenge prevented a shot on target.

Half time: Town 0 - 2 United

47 mins - Deacey had the first chance of the half when he tried his luck from distance. The shot had power but lacked direction.

54 mins - Amoo made it past his man and clipped a lovely cross over Hagreen. Emerton and Deacey tried to close the gap but Town were able to clear.

55 mins - Bobby Devine took matters into his own hands when he skipped clear in midfield. His shot brought a diving save from Gillespie.

59 mins - Excellent work from Amoo allowed him to pick a dinked cross to the far post. Danny Emerton was on hand to head the ball into the empty net.

61 mins - Beck and Salmon passed their way to the edge of the box and a pass inside left Deacey with an open goal. He took his eye off the ball and poked the shot wide.

63 mins - Emerton did well when he recovered the ball and crossed it low into the box. Jordan Deacey looked like he wanted the ground to open up as he poked another shot over the target.

68 mins - Salmon robbed the ball as confusion reigned and almost found the target from a very tight angle. Kirk did well to get back and clear it off the line.

71 mins - Deacey beat his man and tried to place the ball in the bottom corner. Hagreen got enough on it to to divert it behind. 

72 mins - Salmon had two chances in quick succession but the keepr save done and he stabbed the second one wide.

73 mins - Mark Beck grabbed United's fourth of the night when a cross into the box clipped off Salmon and then the defender. The big striker bided his time before stabbing it in just as it crossed the line.

77 mins - Nick Allen somehow scooped the ball away from Gillies as he hunted a Symington cross inside the six-yard box.

81 mins - Gwinnutt sent a curling delivery to the back post and Emerton was a whisker away from grabbing his second of the day when he volleyed just past the upright.

85 mins - Mark Beck made no mistake as he found space 19 yards out. His left foot shot left the keeper with no chance.

87 mins - Gillies skipped past two challenges and went close with a rasping effort which flew just over the angle of post and bar.

89 mins - Mark Beck secured his hat-trick when he guided a Symington cross back across goal and into the bottom corner.

Advertisement block