Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

LADIES: Stockport 2 - 1 United

5 December 2013

Late goal sinks United

United were undone by a 96th minute goal which handed Stockport the points in an extremely close encounter at Stockport Sports Village writes Richard Mallinson.

For the trivia lovers, Stockport Sports are the rebranded Woodley Sports from which Simon Hackney arrived at Carlisle.

County were the quickest out of the blocks and created their first chance on 5 minutes when their forward was denied by Rosy Ryan. Before the game, United had spoken about creating chances and they did just that registering four shots on target in the first 20 minutes. 

On 25 minutes, United captain Sharina Robinson was felled on half way however advantage was played and Stockport won a corner. United didn’t defend the corner and Stockport managed to take the lead.

As has often been the case this season, United got going once they fell behind playing some flowing length of the field moves and were unlucky not to draw level when Philippa Harmison was released but the Stockport keeper made a smart save.

The game was level on 35 minutes when United won a free kick midway in the Stockport half and Robinson capitalised producing a smart finish into the roof of the net. The game was a good one for the observer with both teams battling and producing nice passing. There were no further goals in the first half and United were happy with the scores level at the break.

The second half began as the first had ended with both teams nullifying each other. United kept going and showed their desire to work hard and compete with a team who on paper are a better side however on the day United more than matched their opponents. 

United continued to press and Gillian McGimpsey was unfortunate not to score as she beat four players but her shot was blocked by the Stockport defence.

United had a let off on 65 minutes when Stockport broke and hit the upright. From then on the game flowed with both sides creating half chances. United felt that they should have been awarded a penalty on 72 minutes when Harmison was released and had her shirt pulled which impeded her effort but the referee ruled out the appeals.

The home side were reduced to 10 players on 77 minutes, United changed formation to try to win the game. Stockport created some pressure with a couple of corners which were dealt with by Carlisle including an excellent save from Ryan. In the 96th minute, Stockport managed to find a way through and the striker poked the ball in from 12 yards.

United were devastated at being denied a point but there is plenty to take from the game where United ran second place in the league all the way and were denied a deserved point. Credit to United who kept going despite a couple of knocks and on another day they may have snatched all three points.

Next week, United entertain Liverpool based Woolton in a game which is being kindly sponsored by Carlisle United London Branch Supporters’ Club.

United: Ryan, Smith, Owen, Mallin, McGimpsey, Ullyart, Adam, Mallinson, Robinson, Kinsella, Harmison. 

Advertisement block