Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 September 2012

United pegged back twice

Carlisle United were unchanged from their away victory at Hartlepool as they played host to League One new boys Swindon Town with manager Greg Abbott looking for more of the same with his side sat in the top half of the table.

And it came down to a mad four-minute spell in the first half as United were twice pegged back to make sure that the spoils were shared come the end of yet another unbelievable game.

Manager Greg Abbott said: "We were too soft at the back for our goals but we have to be happy that we're creating chances and putting them away at the other end. We've really had to roll our sleeves up against a very good side and the reaction from the fans at the end showed that they really appreciated the effort. We may not have a team full of big names but in terms of spirit and determination we can match anybody and that's a nice thing for us to have in our armoury."

Former-Yeovil man Andy Williams was the chief tormentor in the opening stages and Mark Gillespie was called into action early to block a shot as the wide man cut in and tried his luck.

But Carlisle responded with a quick break which found Cadamarteri on the edge of the area. He dragged the ball back and sent it into the path of the onrushing Matt Robson, but his left foot shot was dragged well wide of the target.

Simon Ferry showed frustration when he rasped a poor shot into the advertising hoardings and the Cumbrians got their passing game going as McGovern pulled wide to make space.

And the home side grabbed the lead on 14 minutes when a pass from deep from McCormack ricocheted into the path of loan striker Jake Jervis. He wasted no time in thundering a low shot past the wrong-footed Wes Foderingham.

The Robins should have been back on level terms immediately when Williams stepped past Simek and whisked the ball into the box. Benson got in front of his man but could only send his header wide.

Ricthie and Benson then combined to unlock the defence but a firm volley was dealt with comfortably by a well-positioned Mark Gillespie.

Danny Cadamarteri had his first shot on goal when McGovern slid him through but the slightest of touches from Devera made it easy for the stopper. 

Swindon grew in confidence and lobbed ball into the box was punched just in the nick of time as Gillespie sprinted off his line to beat Williams to the drop.

Williams turned provider in the next attack and Gillespie misjudged the flight of the ball as Benson jumped across his line of sight. Chantler controlled it but he stumbled and confusion ruled until Murphy stepped in to hook it clear.

Adam Rooney headed wide when he possibly should have done better from a Ferry delivery but the same player produced the goal of the game when he found unexpected space and crunched a fierce shot into the bottom corner from distance.

Carlisle were stung but they bit back and regained the lead when Cadamarteri chested a difficult ball forward into the path of Jervis. The big forward set himself and unleashed a peach of a volley which Foderingham could only flick as it angled into the roof of his net.

The lead was short-lived though as a pass down the left bounced off a heel and allowed Benson to streak clear. He showed composure as he drew Gillespie and guided the ball over the line.

United dusted themselves off after their double disappointment and Murphy hit the woodwork on the stroke of half time when he headed the ball goalwards from another decent McGovern cross.

The game visibly slowed in pace after the break and Swindon enjoyed the bulk of the possession as they threw men forward in search of their first win in four outings.

And stabbed attempts from Ferry, Benson and Ritchie accompanied an almighty scramble which Chantler had to deal with red shirts in close attendance.

"Playing at left back is nothing new to me," Chantler said. "I was up against Ritchie for most of this one and it was a case of trying to show him down the wing all the time. It was tough because he worked out I was trying to do that, so he started trying to beat me that way anyway."

Gillespie showed good awareness when he slid into a challenge with Rooney when the pair went one-on-one and the keeper made an even braver block when Williams beat Edwards to an awkwardly bouncing ball to bear down on goal.

Ritchie had a shot cleared off the line as the pressure mounted but it was Carlisle who nearly nicked the points in the closing stages when Beck timed a leap to meet a McGovern centre. His header had everything but it was disappointment all round as it whipped just past the upright.

"We're on a good little run at the moment and we just want to keep it going," Abbott said. "This one sets us up nicely for another tough game on Tuesday night, so we'll get ready to go again for that one. If we keep working together as we are at the moment we'll find that we're doing ok."



United - Jervis (14, 30)

Swindon - Rooney (29), Benson (32)



United - Berrett (21)

Swindon - Benson (28), Ward (44)



Carlisle United - Gillespie, Simek, Edwards (Livesey 59), Murphy, Chantler, McGovern (Symington 73), Thirlwell, Berrett, Robson, Cadamarteri (Beck 59), Jervis. Subs - Collin, Madden, Potts, Bugno.

Swindon Town - Foderingham, Mceveley, Devera, Ferry (Coke 70), Ritchie, McCormack, Benson (Collins 59), Williams, Miller, Ward, Rooney (Roberts 52). Subs - Bedwell, Archibald-Henville, Thompson, Bessone.


Referee - Darren Drysdale 

Attendance - 4,987 (315 away fans)

Advertisement block