Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 1 - 4 Orient

17 November 2012

First half goal blitz sinks Blues

Orient made it three wins for the month as they leap-frogged a misfiring Carlisle side who continue to struggle to pick up points on their own patch.

A tentative opening brought increased confidence for the visitors and they deservedly grabbed the lead when Mooney rose highest to reach a delivery from Cox. His initial header was touched onto the post but he reacted first to tap the ball into an empty net.

Carlisle were back on level terms when Allsop misjudged a McGovern free kick from deep. The ball spun up off his fist and Peter Murphy did well to guide it into the back of the net from a very tight angle.

The joy lasted less then a minute as Orient pushed forward from the restart. Persistence from Lisbie and a goal line clearance from Edwards brought a corner and an almighty goalmouth clearance. Chorley pounced to scoop a parried save from Collin into the roof of the net as the defence stood static.

The afternoon got worse as Lisbie broke from deep and raced into the box. His cut-back was perfect for the unmarked Lee Cook to sweep it into the gaping net.

And the points were all-but sealed on the stroke of half time when Edwards misplaced a pass in midfield. Lisbie fed Mooney and the big striker made no mistake as he went one-on-one with the keeper before drilling it in off the upright to make it 22 goals conceded at home with the season just three months old.

A triple substitution during the break sent the signal that the home dressing room wasn’t happy but the damage was done with the O’s happy to sit deep and hit their hosts on the break.

It was one such moment which almost brought a hat-trick for Mooney when Cook touched the ball past Edwards on the edge of the area. The front man put his left foot through it and was disappointed to see it bounce back off the bar with Collin a mere spectator.

Carlisle had fleeting moments of hope courtesy of teenage substitute Dave Symington but some brave defending prevented him from finding a way through with his trademark thundering drives.

Matt Robson summed up the United afternoon when he found unexpected space late in the game. His wayward volley into the stands was accompanied by ironic cheers from the long-suffering fans.
“We’re doing this too often at home and we can’t hide away from that,” manager Greg Abbott said. “I completely understand the reaction of the fans because we are just as frustrated as they are. Sometimes you look to the players to lift everybody and that is almost impossible to achieve when you give four goals away in the first half. We have to be braver and we have to stand up and be counted because we know we’re better than this. We’ve been through a tough time but we just need to be patient and we need to keep doing the things we believe in. Results like this hurt, but we have a chance to show everyone on Tuesday that we are a good side. I can guarantee that’s what we will demand of them.”



United - Murphy (25)

Orient - Mooney (18, 44), Chorley (26), Cook (38)



United - Potts (45)

Orient - Cox (81)



Carlisle United - Collin, Simek, Edwards, Murphy, Chantler, McGovern (Robson 46), Noble (Beck 46), Potts, Berrett, Higginbotham (Symington 46), Garner. Subs - Gillespie, Welsh, Todd, McGinty.

Leyton Orient - Allsop, Sawyer, Chorley, Cox (Smith 83), Lisbie (Symes 76), Clarke, Odubajo, Cook, Rowlands, James (Griffith 65), Mooney. Subs - Jones, McSweeney, Baudry, Brunt.


Referee - T Harrington

Attendance - 3,964 (113 away fans)

Advertisement block