Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 1 Macclesfield

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

29 December 2018

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 1 Macclesfield

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

29 December 2018

Carlisle United made it four wins i a row with a late strike from Jerry Yates after what had been a real battle of a game.

The Macc Lads kicked off, attacking the Warwick, and they were in front with just two minutes on the clock when excellent footwork from Wilson left the United back line rooted to the spot. The striker suddenly had the goal at his mercy and he made no mistake as he slotted his side-footed shot into the bottom corner.

It almost got worse just two minutes later when Marsh sprinted clear with the ball at his feet. He carried it forward and crossed low, but Liddle slid in to make a vital clearance before Wilson could strike again.

Captain Danny Grainger brought the home crowd to its feet when he sent a 35-yard free kick an inch over the target, and there was much better from Carlisle when Devitt and Sowerby exchanged passes on the edge of the area as the hosts quickly regained possession. Devitt was eventually played beyond the left back and O'Hara had to get his hand to the dipping effort to prevent it from going in.

A short corner routine followed and Parkes arrived late to send a shot from 19-yards through bodies. O'Hara was relieved to see it whip past his upright as he watched the moment unfold. 

It was a better spell for the Blues and a chest down from Yates allowed him to spin his man before he received a return pass from Hope. The in-form striker chose to shoot early and was disappointed to see it spin to safety across the face of the goal.

A clearance from a Devitt corner saw the hosts stay forward and it was eventually recycled to Grainger, who had stayed high up the pitch. His cross was met on the full by a header from Liddle, but O'Hara dived long to make the save.

More good football followed from the home side as Yates and Sowerby combined again to make a way through. The cross was put behind and Macclesfield defended well as Devitt tested them with good set piece deliveries.

The visitors caused a scare once more when they broke in numbers as United lost possession, and Wilson curved his run inside Grainger before shooting from distance. It appeared to be going in but, to the relief of the home side, it shaved the outside of the post.

Carlisle should have levelled things up when a slide rule pass from Nadesan put Devitt clean through. He tried to pop it past O'Hara but the keeper hung his leg out, and he got enough of a touch to send it behind for a corner.

The deserved equaliser came on the stroke of half time when Hope showed real purpose in getting into the box. His direct run took two defenders out, and a bounce ball off Devitt left him with a clean sight of the target. He pulled the trigger and left O’Hara with no chance with what was a superb finish to a fantastic move.

But the home side were let off the hook in time added on for the half when a sliced Gerrard clearance fell inside the area. Two deflections left Collin with a diving save to make, and he did well to push it away from the line. The ball was recovered by Wilson, and fed back to Rose, but he couldn't keep it down and his shot climbed high.

Macclesfield were first to test the target after the break when Arthur ghosted forward on the right flank. His low drilled effort had power but Collin did well to both save and smother it.

A deflected Devitt free kick caused problems at the other end as it climbed high and looped out of the sky. Nadesan got a toe to it but a clearance off the line prevented him from sparking any celebrations.

Carlisle had to take care at the other end when Wilson overlapped before sending the ball into the mix. United reacted first to clear as Maycock arrived late.

Things became tight as both sides worked hard in defence, but United had a penalty appeal turned down when a Devitt shot appeared to strike an arm. The officials weren't interested and play was waved on.

Hope sent a 19-yarder over the bar after good work from Sowerby, Yates and Devitt midway through the half, but chances were few and far between as every ball was battled for.

A rare attack on 81 minutes saw Gerrard guide the ball behind as Wilson tried to make it his own. And Parkes was needed to clear as the corner delivery bounced through everybody and settled on the penalty spot.

It was tense through the closing stages but the Blues grabbed the win with a late strike from Jerry Yates as he got there to meet a superb cross from Danny Grainger.



Carlisle United - Hope (44), Yates (88)

Macclesfield Town - Wilson (2)



Carlisle United - Gerrard (14), Devitt (40), Yates (51)

Macclesfield Town - Cameron (51)



Carlisle United - Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Grainger, Sowerby, Etuhu, Devitt (Campbell 77), Nadesan (Slater 90), Yates (Bennett 90), Hope. Subs - Gray, Miller, Gillesphey, McCarron.

Macclesfield Town - O'Hara, Fitzpatrick, Kelleher, Marsh, Wilson, Lloyd (Welch-Hayes 66), Maycock, Pearson, Arthur, Rose, Cameron, Subs - Idem, Hodgkiss, Lowe, Grimes, Vincenti.


Referee - Mr Ross Joyce

Attendance - 4,884 (179 away fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account