Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 2 Sunderland

Report from the Tuesday night Carabao Cup game

22 August 2017

Championship side Sunderland came to Brunton Park on Tuesday evening as the sides contested round two of this season's Carabao Cup competition.

And it was the visitors who edged through on the night when a stunning second half strike from Gooch, against the run of play, eased any fears of an upset as they did just enough to see off a confident Carlisle team.

Sunderland hit the home side with an early counter-attack which swept through the midfield area as they broke up a home attack. Asoro fed it wide to Khazri but he opted to shoot on the run and it crashed into the side netting.

Next to try his luck was NDong as he found some space 25-yards from goal. His shot hit a leg and went behind for a corner. The delivery from that caused problems but Lambe twice blocked from Asoro to protect the target. 

United showed as an attacking force when Bennett controlled a huge ball over the top. He fed it back to Joyce but his cross had just too much on it as Lambe stretched to try to make it count. 

Carlisle had the Black Cats troubled again when Adams dropped a shoulder and left his man standing. Bennett did well to make space for a shot but the whistle had gone for an infringement. 

The Blues crafted a fantastic chance on 12 minutes when Bennett sprinted clear with options left and right. He fed it to Joyce and his delivery was perfect for the late arrival of Adams. His piledriver from 14-yards was on target but Ruiter spread himself to make a vital save.

It was suddenly all about the hosts and a quickly taken throw allowed Lambe to feed Devitt inside the box. He fizzed it across the face of goal but Djilobodji stuck a leg out before Bennett could pounce.

Keeper Robbin Ruiter completed a stunning save as the blue shirts stayed forward when Devitt trapped the ball and spun on the spot. A fierce volley followed and it needed a fingertip to put it over the bar.

Another excellent set piece followed but Ellis couldn't get any power on his header and it was easy for Ruiter to deal with.

The visitors showed they weren't about to hide away from the onslaught midway through the half when Khazri found himself in unexpected space. He connected well with his shot but Bonham was equal to it as he went full length to make the save.

The Black Cats demonstrated a moment of quality on 24 minutes when Gooch skipped his way past two challenges to cut the ball back. Love timed his run to meet the loose ball and he made no mistake as he swept it into the net.

Nicky Adams wasn't too far away as he took matters into his own hands on the half hour with a dipping effort from 28-yards. The keeper was relieved to see it angle past the upright.

Bonham was at full stretch again to prevent a stinger from Gooch from bulging his top corner, and he did well to punch under pressure when the corner delivery came in.

The in-form Blues stopper was at his best when the now settled visitors came again with a breakaway from Asoro. Bonham spread himself and got a boot to the shot to make sure he came out on top of the one-against-one situation. 

Carlisle kept knocking on the door and a deflected effort from Grainger was picked up by Devitt on the 18-yard line. Ruiter made another fantastic save to deny him at close range, and there were loud appeals for a spot kick as Bennett tumbled when he tried to tap the rebound away.

United should have been back on terms on 38 minutes when they tore the Sunderland defence open with some excellent one-touch football. Jones sparked it when he released Devitt, and his cross picked out the unmarked Reggie Lambe. He appeared to have done everything right until his volley crashed back to safety off the woodwork. 

The Blues ended the half on the front foot but they couldn't make use of an added time corner as the header from Ellis hit the back of a defender and bounced wide.

It was nip and tuck at the start of the second period as Carlisle tried to find a way through the stubborn Sunderland back line but they came close to unlocking the door when a deep free kick from Parkes pinged around inside the box.

It was eventually cleared but the reprieve was short-lived as a challenge on Bennett brought a finger point to the spot from the referee. Danny Grainger needed a second bite of the cherry but he poked the loose ball from the Ruiter save into the waiting net.

Carlisle pressed again after the goal and Devitt overlapped to help an Adams pass on its way. Two blocks were needed as the wide man tried to finish it off.

Home tails were up and a dinked through ball from Jones found Bennett on the move. His first time volley was on target until it hit a thigh and spun away to safety.

A rare visiting attack on 77 minutes brought a corner as Kone crossed, but a header from Djilobodji was blocked and United recovered their shape.

Carlisle were dealt a cruel blow on 79 minutes when neat passing from the Black Cats brought a step inside from Gooch. He caught his left foot shot on the sweet spot and Bonham had no chance.

James Vaughan scissor-kicked a late chance past the post, and Sunderland survived a second late penalty shout when Bennett was shoulder barged to the floor under the watchful eyes of the officials. 

And a late, late chance was missed when a Grainger free kick was headed back across goal only to somehow end up in Ruiter's hands.



Carlisle United - Grainger (59)

Sunderland - Love (24), Gooch (79)



Sunderland - Khazri (56), Djilobodji (59), NDong (65), Vaughan (90)



Carlisle United - Bonham, Liddle, Ellis, Parkes, Grainger, Lambe, Jones, Joyce (Hope 84) Adams (Kennedy 87), Devitt (S Miller 84), Bennett. Subs - George, T Miller, Nabi, Cosgrove.

Sunderland - Ruiter, Oviedo (McGeady 72), Djilobodji, Khazri, O'Shea, NDong, Matthews, Love (Kone 66), Gibson, Gooch, Asoro (Vaughan 66). Subs - Stryjek, Jones, Honeyman, Embleton.


Referee - Darren Bond

Attendance - 8,187 (1,929  away fans)

Advertisement block