Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
15 August 2023 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW: Tuesday night at Brunton Park

A look ahead to the midweek game

15 August 2023

The Latics are with us at Brunton Park on Tuesday night.


December 1997 was the last time these teams locked horns in league competition, and that was a Division Two away victory for the Cumbrians courtesy of goals from Ian Stevens and Gareth McAlindon. 

It's League One this time round, and Wigan have already made inroads into their eight point deduction thanks to two solid victories.

A potentially tricky opening day away fixture was negotiated with former Blue Charlie Wyke bagging a brace in a 2-1 success over in Derby, and the first home league game reaped the same result. Late goals from Charlie Hughes and Callum McManaman saw them recover from the earlier setback of a Sam Hoskins strike for visitors Northampton Town.

Bayern Munich defender Liam Morrison was the first summer arrival, on a season-long loan deal, with the former Celtic man fresh from having signed a new deal with his parent club.

Wide man Jonny Smith then penned a two-year contract as his time with Burton came to an end, and fellow winger Callum McManaman came back to the Latics for a third spell, this time for 12-months.

Arsenal product Matt Smith added more to the midfield area when he put pen to paper on a three-year deal, and defender Sean Clare came into the building on the same length of deal having just said goodbye to Charlton Athletic.

Liverpool loaned their playmaker James Balagizi for a season as transfer activity continued to motor along, and Celtic man Liam Shaw also arrived on loan. 

The summer round of comings and goings was completed (for now) when defender Kell Watts agreed his loan move from Newcastle United.

who watch

With two goals to his name already it has to be Charlie Wyke.

We all know him so well, and we know what he can bring when he gets the service.

Strong, agile and with an eye for goal, he'll need to be marshalled inside the box on his return to Brunton Park.

As a reminder, he netted 39 goals in 89 appearances across a two-year stay with us.


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to WATCH to this fixture via our match streaming service. 

With match commentary provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through the season.

Match audio passes are available for ALL EFL league games - click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.


  Carlisle wins Draws Wigan wins
Cup 1 0 1
League 6 0 4
FA Cup 0 0 5
Total 7 0 10

Highlights for our meetings with Wigan are scarce, but we do have the action from our home game on 13 August 1994 on file.

You can watch that here:


Referee - Marc Edwards
Assistant Referee 1 - Paul Newhouse
Assistant Referee 2 - Conor Brown
Fourth Official - Scott Jackson
Observer - James Devine

Our referee for this fixture is Mr Marc Edwards.

Click HERE to read our Ref Watch article for this fixture.


Tickets for this fixture are on sale now.

Methods of purchase:

  • In person – come to the main ticket office at the designated time.
  • Phone – ring the ticket office 03300 945 930 option 1 at the designated times and pay with a credit / debit card.
  • Internet – buy online HERE.

Please note - persons under the age of 14 MUST be accompanied by an adult. Minors under the age of 14 will not be permitted entrance and parents / guardians will be called to collect the child and escort them from the premises.

** Season ticket holders who wish to move to a different area of the stadium for selected fixtures MUST do so before the day of the game. We will NOT be able to fulfil requests of this nature on match days **


Remember, you can purchase an e-ticket online all the way up to kick-off on a match day. Simply show your purchased ticket on your smartphone at the turnstile and you'll be scanned in as normal.
E-tickets really are a fantastic and smooth way of making your match day experience just that little bit easier.


Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 1 Wigan

Report from the Tuesday night home game

15 August 2023

United hosted Wigan at Brunton Park on Tuesday night and it was a first start for forward Sean Maguire as he returned from his weekend of compassionate leave.

Midfielder Owen Moxon had rid himself of his illness, and Jack Ellis was in at right back with Fin Back still under the Nottingham Forest recovery regime. 

Manager Paul Simpson went with a four-diamond-two formation with Mellish pushed forward.

Both teams looked lively from the off and Wigan won a corner when a cross from Aasgaard was charged down. The delivery from that was low and easily dealt with.

The visitors came again McManaman and Clare clipped it back and forward as they worked their way into the box. A low fizzed delivery was just too far in front of Wyke.

Pearce had space out on the left and he went deep again as he searched for McManaman. A first-time volley was actually more of a clearance than a shot.

A spin from Callum Lang on the halfway line saw him turn into space. He got his head down as he angled towards the box, and he let fly when a gap opened up. It was always heading into the Warwick.

Carlisle had men forward on 12 minutes and Gibson sent a beauty of a delivery towards the six-yard area. Hughes got there before Edmondson or Maguire could finish it off.

Back at the other end and McManaman bent one off his left foot after Clare had overlapped. Holy dived but he was comfortable enough to watch it on its way.

The red shirts probed and Aasgaard was left unmarked in a central position. He went for it from 22-yards but it was a foot too high.

Moxon ripped a snapshot wide from distance as United looked to cause problems, and Mellish and Edmondson were tigerish in their approach during the follow up as they looked to force the issue. Another grasscutter went untouched.

The woodwork came into play as Wyke stole a yard to meet a Pearce centre. It bounced up off the floor via the slightest of touches from Lavelle and fell behind off the roof of the bar.

Wigan took the lead on 34 minutes when a loose pass from Guy left Adeeko with space to exploit inside his own territory. His turn of pace had the Cumbrians troubled, and Wyke moved off a shoulder to take a touch. That left him with just Holy to beat and the neatest of flicks over the advancing stopper sent it into the bottom corner.

Big defender Charlie Hughes was close to doubling the lead just before the break when he met a Pearce set piece with a crunching header. It smashed against the upright and ricocheted off to safety.

Determined work from Maguire resulted in a corner in time added on for the hosts but Tickle was off his line to punch as it dropped out of the air. There was confusion as the keeper lost his bearings when Ellis recycled it, but he was awarded a free kick when he took to the grass.

United stayed up in numbers and Gibson flighted it over heads, with Edmondson interested. A downward header had the fans on their feet but it spun past the target.

Holy had to keep a close eye on the ball as it came low through bodies from McManaman at the start of the second period, and he did well to keep it close to his chest.

United's keeper was excellent when Clare got a shout from Adeeko for a through ball. The cut back invited Aasgaard to rifle it but his 17-yard thunderbolt was parried by firm hands.

Owen Moxon left two in his wake as he pushed on, but his initial effort was charged down. But Carlisle weren't about to give it up, and Gibson did well to win it back. He peeled away to the right flank to take a cheeky pass from Gibson on his toe. A whipped shot took a deflection, but Moxon got there first to leather it into the waiting net to register his second of the season.

Tickle had to go full stretch to claw a cross that became a shot from beneath the bar as the home crowd urged their team to go for it, but they had defending to do as Aasgaard and Pearce advanced. Guy, who took care to keep his hands out of the way when he stumbled, made sure the danger was stifled.

Moxon was precise when he set Gibson free on the left flank and Plange pulled off a shoulder to make the header possible. It curled agonisingly past the post.

Plange was involved again when he found a great delivery, and Moxon was frustrated when his volley lost its way.

Wigan were close with 10 minutes to go when Clare fed it for Humphrys, who had headed away on a break. He drilled it across the face of goal but Lang was too far away to meet it as he threw himself at it. And Lang was guilty of a glaring miss when he once again latched onto good work from Humphrys. He tried a lob but it had too much on it.

Ten minutes of additional time were added, and Plange and Edmondson tried to make use of the first of them when the ball arrowed towards the penalty spot. A red shirt got in the way in the nick of time.

United peppered the box without getting the breaks, and the Latics had moments from out wide, but the combatants had to settle for a share of the spoils in what was a pulsating atmosphere under the lights.



Carlisle United - Moxon (56)

Wigan Athletic - Wyke (34)



Carlisle United - Mellish (54), Maguire (67), Skelton (75), Armer (83), Lavelle (90+9)

Wigan Athletic - Clare (19), Pearce (59)



Carlisle United - Holy, Lavelle, Huntington (c), Mellish, Ellis (Barclay 83), Moxon (Charters 83), Guy, Gibson, Armer, Maguire (Plange 67), Edmondson. Subs - Andresson, McCalmont, Butterworth, Garner.

Wigan Athletic - Tickle, Pearce, Morrison, Hughes, Clare, Smith, Wyke (Magennis 70), Aasgaard (Sze 90), Lang (c), McManaman (Humphrys 70), Adeeko. Subs - Amos (gk), Watts, Shaw, Smith.


Match officials

Referee - Marc Edwards
Assistant Referee 1 - Paul Newhouse
Assistant Referee 2 - Conor Brown
Fourth Official - Scott Jackson
Observer - James Devine


Attendance - 8,649 (1,405 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account