Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
05 November 2022 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW: We're up against Tranmere ... again

A look ahead to the first-round Emirates FA Cup game

3 November 2022

These teams come together for the second time in a week - but this time we're on home turf as the Emirates FA Cup campaign kicks off.

Match Sponsor - Story Homes


Click HERE to visit the Story Homes official website.

Match Ball Sponsor -

leaseyournew car.jpg

Click HERE to visit the official website.


Tranmere went into Tuesday night's home game against Stockport off the back of what Micky Mellon described as a 'disappointing performance' against the Blues last Saturday.

Kris Dennis set the tone at Prenton Park with a goal that was netted with just 39 seconds on the clock, and he bagged from the spot early on the second half to put the cherry on top of what was an excellent away display.

Both Rovers and the Hatters had chances in midweek, but neither target was truly tested as the encounter motored towards a goalless stalemate.

That leaves Tranmere two points shy of the play-off places having played one game more than the four teams above them.

These teams have met on four occasions in this competition, with Tranmere having won three of them. The last of those ties was one to forget for the Blues with Rovers four goals to the good by half-time at Prenton Park back in December 2001.

The goals came courtesy of Jason Price and a Jason Koumas hat-trick, with Will McDonagh receiving a red card in amongst it all. Richie Foran bagged a consolation, but a Stuart Barlow penalty rubbed salt into an already gaping wound, and Steve Yates compounded the misery when he made it 6-1 late in the day.

who watch

Forward Elliott Nevitt has had to do things the hard way, by remaining patient as he kept his head down on the non-league circuit.

Three goals from the bench against Crewe (two in the league and on on the Papa Johns) has earned him a starting shirt. 

He now has six goals for the season and will be looking to carry that on.


Click HERE to purchase an audio match pass which will allow you to listen to this game via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through the season.

Match audio passes are available for ALL EFL league games - click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.


  Carlisle wins Draws Tranmere wins
League 32 17 32
Trophy 0 2 0
FA Cup 1 0 3
League Cup 2 1 2
Total 35 20 37

United dominated with a goal on 39 seconds from Kris Dennis setting the tone at Prenton Park in October 2022. The same player netted from the spot in the second half to make it a comfortable 2-0 away win for the Blues.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was a game you couldn't take your eye off in April 2022 with Calum MacDonald and Kieron Morris sent off for the hosts. Kane Hemmings and Elliott Nevitt had twice put them ahead, with Omari Patrick and Tobi Sho-Silva doing the honours with the equalisers to make it a 2-2 outcome.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Carlisle were undone by an own goal just after half-time in October 2021 as Tranmere went away from Cumbria with a one-goal win.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

A game that could have gone either way saw James Vaughan grab a late winner as Tranmere took the spoils home in February 2021. Vaughan had also scored in the first half, as did Kane Woolery, with Josh Kayode and Nick Anderton bagging for the Cumbrians.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

These teams met at Prenton Park in November 2020 with Keith Hill newly-appointed as manager. It was a tight game, but Corey Taylor netted the only goal of the encounter just after the break.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was a comfortable three-goal home victory for Rovers in March 2019 when Ollie Banks broke the deadlock just before half time. Oliver Norwood and Manny Monthe completed the scoring after the break.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Tranmere took all three points home from their trip to Cumbria in September 2018. The Blues had 15 minutes to forget at the end of the game as a penalty miss was followed by an own goal from Tom Parkes, and a killer blow from Paul Mullin just before the final whistle.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Our last meeting prior to that was in February 2015, at Prenton Park, when a quickfire double from Charlie Wyke just after the break secured a 2-0 away victory for the Blues. It came at a price as Kyle Dempsey received his marching orders deep into time added on.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The league meeting at Brunton Park earlier that season was a tense affair, but a nice finish from David Amoo with just 20 minutes left to play proved to be the difference as the Cumbrians battled their way to a hard-earned three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The trio of meetings from that season was completed, again at Prenton Park, when the sides came together in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy. Brad Potts got on the end of a good move to cancel out a first half Max Power goal, but it was Tranmere who progressed as they got the better of the penalty shoot-out, winning by 5-4 at the end of a very long night.

Watch the highlights of that game here:


Referee - Declan Bourne
Assistant Referee 1 - Chris Isherwood
Assistant Referee 2 - Lewis Raper
Fourth Official - Helen Conley

Our referee for this fixture is Mr Declan Bourne. 

He has been in charge of seven games so far this season and has shown 33 yellows and three reds.

We first met him in February 2021 for a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Forest Green. Gime Toure scored in the second half for the Blues, and Joe Riley and Rhys Bennett had their names taken on the night.

We also saw him in December 2021 for our 2-0 away win at Stevenage. Jon Mellish and Jordan Gibson scored the goals, Gibson from the spot, and Kelvin Mellor had his name taken.


All areas of the ground will be open.

Season ticket holders receive half price tickets which can only be purchased over the phone or in person. Please have your season ticket ID number ready when purchasing your ticket.

Season ticket holders must purchase their ticket before 5pm Friday 4 November to claim their half price discount. There will be no season ticket discount on the day of the fixture.


  Pre-sale  Matchday 
Over 18 £15 £18
*Under 18 £8 £8
*Under 7 FOC FOC
W/Chair £5 £5


ST prices Pre-sale  Matchday 
ST Over 18 £7.50 £18
ST *Under 18 £4 £8
ST *Under 7 FOC FOC
ST W/Chair £2.50 £5

*U14’s must be accompanied by an over 18. 

Dates of sale 

Thu 3 Nov 10am - 5pm
Fri 4 Nov 10am - 5pm
Sat 5 Nov 10am – 3pm

Methods of purchase:

  • In person – come to the main ticket office at the designated time.
  • Phone – ring the ticket office 03300 945 930 option 1 at the designated times and pay with a credit / debit card.
  • Internet – buy online HERE

Please note - persons under the age of 14 MUST be accompanied by an adult. Minors under the age of 14 will not be permitted entrance and parents / guardians will be called to collect the child and escort them from the premises.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 1 Rovers

Report from the FA Cup first-round fixture

5 November 2022

United hosted Tranmere Rovers in the first-round of this season's Emirates FA Cup competition having faced them at Prenton Park just one week earlier.

The injury curse struck again with Kristian Dennis and Jack Stretton ruled out. The latter had rolled his ankle in training earlier in the week, with the in-form Dennis rested as a precaution after feeling a tightness after the weekend game.

That brought Jordan Gibson back into the team, having served his one-match suspension, with Tobi Sho-Silva also in for his first start of the campaign.

Both teams edged their way into it, but a through ball from the halfway line on eight minutes from Feeney brought things to life. Sho-Silva went beyond Bristow, but Doohan was off his line to scoop it up before Moxon could get there.

Tranmere responded with a move up the right flank in front of the Paddock that saw Dacres-Cogley centre from deep. Hemmings had just Holy to beat but the keeper spread himself to make an excellent save.

Carlisle picked up the baton and Ellis was excellent when he turned Bristow inside out. He got to the byeline, checked back, and slipped it back for Guy to strike. The midfielder kept it low, and it was bang on target, but a defending boot got in the way.

Sho-Silva did all the hard work on the quarter hour when he shrugged Bristow off the ball as the pair tussled for the right to come away with it. It was a tight angle, and his cut back was shepherded away. Gibson retrieved it and there was suddenly a blue shirt overload as Armer and Mellish kept it alive. O'Connor stayed deep and he got the delivery to safety.

Teenager Jack Ellis was was having a fantastic game, and he once again robbed Bristow before stepping into the opposition area. It pinged around after he centred, with efforts from Gibson twice blocked, and Mellish was a whisker away from opening the scoring with a stunning 12-yard volley that edged just wide.

A foul on Dacres-Cogley by Guy midway through the half gave the visitors a set piece 24-yards out, on the right hand quadrant of the Carlisle box. It was dropped into the six-yard area by O'Connor but Mellish was there to get rid of it.

There was more good pressing from the Blues as Feeney reacted first to a pass out of the depths by Bristow. It was touched onwards to Gibson, and he left Jameson for dead with a neat dink through his legs. The pull back begged to be struck, but Merrie intervened.

The deserved goal came on 29 minutes thanks to a lovely touch from Guy in midfield. He took it on his toe, stepped forward, then fed a precise pass into the path of Sho-Silva. The big forward got his head over the ball and Doohan could only parry as a low rifled effort came low. Jordan Gibson said thank you very much as he swatted it into the roof of the net from close range.

Home tails were up and Moxon swept a teasing free kick towards Feeney after Ellis had been tugged. It was put behind, and the corner came off Davies to the lurking Gibson. It was a difficult volley and it screwed off towards the corner flag.

Sho-Silva was next to cause problems when he bullied Davies off a huge kick over the top. He tried to readjust for the lob but he was off balance and Doohan gratefully gathered it in.

Timing in the tackle from Huntington set United on the move again when he reached out a leg poke the ball away from Hemmings. Gibson spotted Sho-Silva on the move, and the big striker used pace to bear down on goal. He was taken to a tight angle and Doohan watched the shot into his hands.

The dangerous Ellis was a handful on the right wing and his cross just before half time, when he found himself in unexpected space, was as good as they come. It was just too high for Sho-Silva and Davies put in the clearing header.

Simeu had the ball in the back of the net for the away team with just two minutes on the second half clock, but the referee blew immediately for a foul, cutting short the celebrations.

Davies went into the book when he steamed through Armer over on the left flank, but O'Connor cleared Moxon's delivery. Ellis stayed deep as the resutling inswinger of a corner was nodded high, but his volley lacked direction.

It was still all about Carlisle, and a Charters free kick had to be nodded into the Warwick once again as Feeney arrived at the back stick.

Tranmere juggled with their shape and they got more joy after a double substitution on the hour. Morris jinked inside to cross, and Hawkes earned a corner as his volley from the penalty spot took a deflection and fizzed over the bar.

But nerves were settled temporarily on 66 minutes courtesy of yet more superb home football. A high press turned over possession, and a slick interchange of passes with Charters left sub Jayden Harris with the ball at his feet. A drag back put Doohan on his backside and Simeu could do nothing as the midfielder stuck to the task to force the loose ball over the line.

Harris was purposeful once again on 78 minutes when he ran beyond a challenge to pick out Moxon. He turned his back to the target and brought Guy onto it but the shot from distance lacked the power it needed.

Tranmere were back in it from nowhere with eight minutes left to play when the Cumbrians fell asleep at a free kick. Hemmings was put clear, despite the penalty area being packed, and Holy had to dive long to parry. Byrne reacted first to head the looping ball over the line.

Rovers sent men forward, and there were deliveries to be dealt with as the clock ticked down. Feeney, Mellish and Armer worked hard, and Huntington had to step in to intervene just as Nevitt looked to latch on to a scrambled through ball.

The corner from McAlear was met by Feeney, and it was hooked long and high by Mellish to the delight of the noisy Blue Army.

It was a nervy ending to the encounter, but keep an eye out for ball number 14 in Monday night's draw - 7pm on BBC 2.


Match Sponsor - Story Homes
Match Ball Sponsor - 



Carlisle United - Gibson (29), Harris (66)

Tranmere Rovers - Byrne (82)



Carlisle United - Harris (73), Armer (85)

Tranmere Rovers - Davies (50)



Carlisle United - Holy, Feeney (c), Huntington, Mellish, Ellis, Guy, Moxon, Armer, Gibson (Bollado 75), Sho-Silva (Harris 60), Charters. Subs - Kelly (gk), Hilton, Whelan, Back, Idehen.

Tranmere Rovers - Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Bristow, O'Connor (McAlear 60), Davies (Byrne 78), Merrie, Morris, Hemmings, Jameson (Hawkes 46), Lewis (Nevitt 60), Simeu (Taylor 90). Subs - Hewelt (gk), Hughes.


Match officials

Referee - Declan Bourne
Assistant Referee 1 - Chris Isherwood
Assistant Referee 2 - Lewis Raper
Fourth Official - Helen Conley


Attendance - 4,154 (261)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account