Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
18 April 2022 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW: Mansfield at home on Easter Monday

A look ahead at our next opponents

17 April 2022

Easter Monday brings promotion hopefuls Mansfield Town to Brunton Park.

Match Sponsor - Local Independent Newsagents

We hope you all have a great day!

Match Ball Sponsor - Tyler Design Services

Have an excellent time with us!

Match Ball Sponsor - Wheatsheaf Inn, Wetheral

Click HERE for more information on the Wheatsheaf Inn.

Match Ball Delivery System - Ascott Transport Ltd

Click HERE to visit the ATL official website.


Mansfield boss Nigel Clough expressed pride in his team after they equalled a club record of 10 successive home league wins by beating Exeter 2-1 at the beginning of last month.

Incidentally it was game number 14 without defeat and lifted them to third in the table.

The run took on added significance given that Mansfield were winless in 14 games during the first half of the season.

"It 's just another little milestone along the way but there's still a lot of work to do," Clough told BBC Radio Nottingham.

The run became 11 when they beat Northampton Town at the beginning of April, but Sutton brought the curtain down on their history making on Saturday.

The Stags scored twice late in the game - one of them from Matty Longstaff deep into time added on - but Richie Bennett pounced to settle away nerves and ensure the points were heading to Surrey.


Just two defeats in the last seven games has taken the Stags right back into the mix, and every point from their remaining five fixtures (including this one) will be vital if they're going to finish it off with a celebration.

But it's worth noting that the two losses have come in their last three games and the last thing they will want is a blip to turn into a crisis at this stage of the campaign.

Crawley, Stevenage, Forest Green and Salford follow us, so it's by no means a straightforward run-in.

47 goals against is high for a team sniffing around the top three but that, in part, is down to the sticky patch they suffered earlier in the campaign.

The flip side is that 59 scored is healthy, so they're a team to be taken very seriously. 

who watch

Newcastle midfielder Matty Longstaff joined during the transfer window and he's netted four goals in 11 appearances so far.

But it's not just the goals. Drive and power in the central areas are complemented by more than a few ounces of ability, and he'll boss it if he's allowed to.

Definitely one we'll need to keep an eye on.


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to WATCH to this fixture via our match streaming service. 

This fixture is streamed live as part of the EFL midweek fixture agreement.

With match commentary provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through the season.

Match audio passes are available for ALL EFL league games - click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.


  Carlisle wins Draws Mansfield wins
League 29 18 32
Cup 0 0 1
FA Cup 2 1 0
Total 31 19 33

It was a close affair in Mansfield in November 2021, decided by a sixth minute goal from Stephen McLaughlin.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Carlisle were at Field Mill in March 2021 and it was Ozzy Zanzala who gave the Blues a lead on 66 minutes. Any thoughts of a win were wiped away when Stephen McLaughlin equalised with 10 minutes left to play.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

These two sides came together pre-Christmas in 2020 with the Stags heading north to Brunton Park. A neat pass from Jack Armer was complemented by a stunning finish from Omari Patrick, and that goal proved to be the difference between the sides on the day.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

A visit to Mansfield was on the cards just ahead of the Covid lockdown in February 2020. It turned into an exciting encounter as Nicky Maynard put the home side two goals to the good. Elliot Watt and Josh Kayode struck back late in the day to earn the Blues a hard-earned draw.

These teams met at the start of the 2019/20 season when the Stags came north to Brunton Park. It was a game where United struggled to get going and they were undone early in the game by a deep cross to the back post. Danny Rose arrived late to smash it into the net. The advantage was doubled on the stroke of half time, and that's how it stayed as the visitors went away with a 2-0 victory.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Carlisle United 3 - 2 Mansfield Town - Saturday 5 January 2019

Mansfield Town 1 - 0 Carlisle United - Saturday 1 September 2018


Referee - Ross Joyce (replacing Scott Oldham)
Assistant Referee 1 - Chris Isherwood
Assistant Referee 2 - Bradley Hall
Fourth Official - Conor Brown
Observer - Jeff Ward

Ross JoyceOur referee for this game is Mr Ross Joyce. Ross has taken charge of 31 games so far this season and has shown 91 yellow cards and six reds.

We saw Ross at the Globe Arena in November 2021 when goals from Kelvin Mellor and Jordan Gibson secured progression to the knockout stages for the Blues in the Papa John's Trophy. No Carlisle names were taken that night.

Prior to that he was the man in the middle for a tetchy encounter with Bolton Wanderers on Boxing Day in 2020. Aaron Hayden, Lewis Alessandra and Omari Patrick helped us to storm into a three-goal lead on what was a terrible day weather wise, but George Thomason, Nathan Delfouneso and Peter Kioso used the gale force wind to their advantage to peg us back. Kioso was sent off in time added on for the game, with Paul Farman, Rhys Bennett, Joe Riley and Jon Mellish having their names taken for the home side.

He was also at Brunton Park in October 2020 for our 3-1 home win over Morecambe. Jon Mellish and George Tanner added to an own goal from Songo'o as the Bues ran out as convincing 3-1 victors, and Joe Riley was the only home yellow to be shown. 

Ross was with us in March 2019 for our long away trip to Rodney Parade. Goals either side of the break sunk the Blues, and Anthony Gerrard had his name taken on the day.

He was in Cumbria for our December 2019 2-1 home win over Macclesfield. Hallam Hope and Jerry Yates scored our goals and Gerrard, Devitt and Yates were the Carlisle names which went in the book.

The first time we saw him that same season was for the Carabao Cup meeting with Blackburn Rovers in August. Hallam Hope scored United's goal, but it was an emphatic win for Rovers on the night as braces from Bradley Dack and Adam Armstrong were complemented by a neat finish from Kasey Palmer. Kelvin Etuhu was the only Carlisle yellow card shown.


Don't forget that ticket prices increase by £3 on a match day.

Click HERE for full home match ticket details, including prices and purchase options.

Click HERE to purchase your match tickets online.

Alternatively, you can purchase your tickets in-person here at our main ticket office during office hours (Pioneer Stand), online by clicking HERE, or over the phone by ringing 0330 094 5930 (option 1).

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 0 Stags

Report from the Monday afternoon home game

18 April 2022

United's Easter weekend of football was rounded off with a home game against promotion chasing Mansfield Town.

Manager Paul Simpson made four changes to his Good Friday team with Lewis Alessandra, Jack Armer, Danny Devine and Joe Riley in for Kristian Dennis, Rod McDonald, Tyrese Omotoye and Kelvin Mellor.

That meant a shuffle within the formation, with Armer on the left of a back three, and Dickenson and Riley providing cover left and right as the Blues went in search of the points they needed to secure League Two safety.

United attacked the Warwick through the first half, but it was Mansfield who looked to bite first as Hewitt burst through the midfield area. He cut it back for Quinn to shoot, but he dragged his effort and Bowery could only help it on its way.

The hosts earned a corner when Devine moved into space in front of the Paddock. His pass to Alessandra was put behind before the forward could pounce.

Carlisle came again as Gibson and Dickenson combined, and the latter forced another set piece as he tried to find the strikers, who had sprinted up in support.

It was a frantic opening, and a quickly taken away corner gave Quinn time to float it to the back stick from tight by the touchline. It was just too high for Perch and the moment was gone. 

Howard had to go full length to get a hand to a 24-yard grasscutter from Stirk when a half clearance came his way, and the stopper needed to gather when Hawkins nodded another flighted set piece at the target.

The United keeper was in top form and he reacted instinctively to beat away a fierce volley on the turn from Bowery, who initially controlled 10-yards out with his back to goal, in what was a good spell for the Stags.

But it was the Cumbrians who created the best chance of the opening 15 minutes when a high delivery from Armer was punched by Bishop, who was under real pressure. Alessandra returned it, and Simeu flicked it beyond the stranded stopper, only to see McLaughlin hook it to safety before it could drop over the line.

A huge ball forward from Mellish almost inadvertently opened the door on 20 minutes as Hawkins misjudged the flight. Alessandra was after it but it skipped off the surface and Bishop made it his.

The Stags showed patience in the build-up to their next attack as Akins and Bowery worked their way into the box. The shot from the latter was charged down and the Blues were able to regroup.

An end-to-end vibe was maintained when Gibson shielded the ball out for a corner, and there was a commotion as players dropped to the floor. It came back to Gibson, and he tried to find the top corner with a measured dipper. It curled late but it was always off target.

Devine and Armer popped deliveries into the mix as the game remained there to be grasped, and Devine won a free kick in a dangerous position when he was pushed to the floor. Gibson swept it in, but it was too far in front of the onrushing blue line.

The assistant referee in front of the away fans was under the spotlight on 41 minutes when Akins slid a beauty of a pass into the penalty box. Murphy drilled it from close range as he met it on the full, and it hit the underside of the bar before spinning away off the line. The visiting contingent screamed for a goal, clearly convinced that it had gone over, but play was waved on.

United had men forward when they broke from deep inside their own half in time added on, but the yellow shirts got back quickly to plug the gaps and the teams headed up the tunnel deadlocked.

A fantastic, surging run from Riley deserved a goal immediately after the break as he used pace and power to get to the byline. His low cross was cut out, and Mansfield shepherded it away as Alessandra and Patrick searched for scraps.

Carlisle sat deeper for a spell and McLaughlin then Murphy rattled crosses across the face of the target, without finding any purchase.

The Stags were close when Quinn overlapped to pull the ball back to Longstaff. His sidefooted shot was deflected, and Bowery couldn't find a touch.

It was given as a corner, and Murphy forced another cracker of a save out of Howard as he rifled a bullet at the target. The keeper jumped high to make an excellent one-handed intervention.

United made the most of that moment when they sprang forward, with Patrick having drifted out to the left wing. He was spotted by Devine, who showed wonderful composure with his through ball following excellent work by Alessandra, and the forward got his head down to take the ball to a tight angle. Bishop could do nothing as a thunderbolt zipped into the roof of his net, via a touch off his fingertips.

More good work from Patrick saw the ball eventually drop for Devine to volley, as he lurked on the edge of the box. It was a sweet connection but it swirled its way past the post.

Brunton Park's goal of the century was almost bagged on the hour when Riley set off on a 60-yard run from inside his own half. He left yellow shirts in his wake, but his shot was stopped at source as he got into the box.

The resulting corner from Dickenson had accuracy, and Bishop stretched out an arm to divert the clip from Feeney onto the bar. Simeu was disappointed to see his follow-up header loop onto the top of the net.

Centre back Morgan Feeney carved the defence wide open when he scythed a pass to Riley, who used the time he had to find Gibson. He took the slightest of pushes on his back as he met it on his head and that was enough to cause him to clip it high.

Mitch Roberts was on to replace Jack Armer with 20 minutes to play, and the left back showed real character and bravery when he slid, inside his own area, to stop Perch in his tracks. The timing had to be perfect, and it was.

Gibson had one deflected wide at the other end, and Simeu was thwarted by the woodwork when he got on the end of the Dickenson corner. His header had power and purpose, but the width of the post was the difference. Mellish watched in agony as the rebound hit his shin and went behind.

Patrick was next to have a go, when he was played clean through by Gibson, but he hesitated with the finish and a tackle was made. Gibson then sliced one wide as he tried his luck from distance.

The Carlisle crowd was celebrating when a Gibson corner was met at the back stick by Feeney. It was going in until Hewitt somehow got a stud there to divert it onto the post and to put a dampener on the noise.

There was all sorts going on in what was an intriguing second 45 minutes to watch, and an opportunity to wrap it up went begging when Gibson latched onto a through ball from Dickenson. He had options left and right but the move fizzled out.

Mansfield threw men forward and Longstaff whipped one past the target, as did Wallace, as the back line stood strong.

Patrick had a neat bottom corner finder chalked off for offside as the clock ticked down, and Howard was down to gather from Maris as time added on loomed large.

The final whistle came shortly after Bishop had caused panic in his own box, and it was a delighted crowd who greeted league safety that had been earned with a pulsating and extremely enjoyable win.


Match Sponsor - Local Independent Newsagents

We hope you all have a great day!

Match Ball Sponsor - Tyler Design Services

Have an excellent time with us!

Match Ball Sponsor - Wheatsheaf Inn, Wetheral

Click HERE for more information on the Wheatsheaf Inn.

Match Ball Delivery System - Ascott Transport Ltd

Click HERE to visit the ATL official website.



Carlisle United - Patrick (56)



Carlisle United - Armer (68), Simeu (78), Patrick (88), Dickenson (90)



Carlisle United - Howard, Devine, Simeu, Feeney (c), Armer (Roberts 71), Riley, Mellish, Gibson, Dickenson, Alessandra (Sho-Silva 86), Patrick. Subs - Norman, Mellor, McDonald, Omotoye, Dennis. 

Mansfield Town - Bishop, McLaughlin (Maris 80), Hewitt, Murphy, Bowery (Johnson 75), Hawkins, Perch (c), Quinn, Stirk (Wallace 68), Akins, Longstaff. Subs - Stech (gk), Rawson, Law, O'Toole.


Match officials

Referee - Ross Joyce (replacing Scott Oldham)
Assistant Referee 1 - Chris Isherwood
Assistant Referee 2 - Bradley Hall
Fourth Official - Conor Brown
Observer - Jeff Ward


Attendance - 5,496 (634)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account