Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
17 September 2019 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: A look at Tuesday night's opponents

United at home to Forest Green midweek

16 September 2019

Stubborn Forest Green head north on Tuesday night for what should be another tough encounter.

George WilliamsA solid start to the season - with no less than five 1-0 victories recorded - has seen Rovers float around the upper reaches of the division through the first month-and-a-bit of the campaign.

An attractive style of football has been matched by a hard work ethic and they come to Brunton Park with back-to-back league wins under their belts.

Goals have been spread about, but Joe Mills has been the stand-out performer with three strikes and two assists to his name. 

Good additions through the summer have made the squad stronger, but Tuesday's visitors were dealt a huge blow at the start of the season when Welsh international George Williams broke his leg, ruling him out for a long period.


From the manager

Steven PressleySpeaking ahead of the game, Steven Pressley said: "Forest Green are a team that in my opinion have improved year on year under Mark Cooper's management.

"They currently sit third in the table and are a team that have a definite style of play.

"That is reflected in the fact they have the highest passing stats in League Two this season thus far.

"They have also improved from a defensive perspective and currently have conceded the second lowest amount of goals.

"These statistics give an indication that tonight’s game will prove a real test, but it’s certainly one we look forward to."



  Carlisle wins Draws Forest Green wins
League 3 1 2
Total 3 1 2


Highlights from previous meetings

United came away from the New Lawn with a 1-1 draw in March this year, having largeky dominated the game. Nathan Thomas bagged the goal, bu there were a number of opportunities missed.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was Rovers who took the honours when they came north in November, earlier in the season, with goals from Ben Morris and Carl Winchester giving them a two-goal cushion. A late penalty from Jamie Devitt gave the Blues some hope, but the away side held out to take all three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The December 2017 away trip to the New Lawn brought an early Christmas present for the Blue Army as Richie Bennett headed home what turned out to be the winner just before the half hour.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was the same scoreline here at Brunton Park in January 2018 with the only goal of the game coming in almost the same minute. This time it was Jamie Devitt who found the back of the net when he arrived late to smash a volley into the bottom corner as the ball fell nicely at his feet.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


The man in the middle

Michael SalisburyOur referee for this game is Mr Michael Salisbury. Michael has taken charge of eight games so far this season showing 17 yellow cards and two reds.

The last time he was in charge of a United game was for our 2-1 defeat at Macclesield in October last season. Ashley Nadesan scored the consolation goal and George Glendon was the only name visiting name taken.

We saw him on three occasions the season before that, starting with a 2-0 home defeat to Stevenage last September. Second half errors from keeper Shamal George opened the door for Boro to win the game, and Danny Grainger, Luke Joyce and Richie Bennett had their names taken on the day.

He was back at Brunton Park in December when we lost 2-1 to Port Vale. Richie Bennett bagged our late consolation, but goals from Tyrone Barnett and Tom Pope had already done the damage. The referee's notebook stayed in his pocket that afternoon.

The last time we saw him was for our January 2-0 FA Cup defeat at Hillsborough when goals from Marco Matias and Athde Nuhiu secured progression for the Owls. It was another game without cards, but there was plenty of snow as the white stuff fell at an alarming rate causing problems both during the game and for the journey home.

Referee - Michael Salisbury
Assistant Referee 1 - Chris Isherwood
Assistant Referee 2 - Simon Clayton
Fourth Official - Daniel Woodward 


Is that a fact?

Forest Green reached the final of the FA Trophy in 1999, making them the first side to reach the final of both the FA Trophy and the FA Vase.


Match tickets

Full match ticket details are HERE.

You can purchase your tickets online HERE.


iFollow the Blues

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

This game is available on a match pass for live video streaming - click HERE to sign up to watch the game via our iFollow platform.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 0 Rovers

Report from the Tuesday night home game

17 September 2019

United went into their Tuesday night home game on the back of a run of two wins, a draw and just one defeat from their last four games, and with a determination to match home form to their away day exploits.

And manager Steven Pressley stuck with the 3-4-3 formation which had brought success at Stevenage on Saturday, with new arrival Gethin Jones given the nod to make his first home start for the club, and Mo Sagaf called up in place of Christie Elliott.

A high ball into the box caused problems for Kitching as he tussled with Olomola inside the first minute and it was the United striker who bullied his way onto it as Nathan Thomas came into view. The wide man took a touch and turned sharply on the spot but his instinctive toe-poke was gathered up comfortably by Lewis Thomas.

Carlisle broke from deep moments later with Bridge in good possession of the ball. He strode towards the box, looked up and slid a deft pass along the line of the 18-yard box. Olomola checked his run to strike it but a good block from Rawson protected the target.

Rovers got forward in numbers in response and Taylor showed good feet as he wormed his way through a number of challenges inside the 'D'. He tried to shoot but it came off Jones and spooned over the bar and into the Warwick Road End.

United thought they'd done enough with nine minutes on the clock when Mike Jones sparked a break from the edge of his own area with a lovely turn on the ball. Nathan Thomas set off on a 60-yard run leaving two defenders in his wake as he bore down on goal. It seemed to stick under his boot just as he shaped to shoot and that allowed Lewis Thomas the opportunity to spread himself and make the save.

An excellent inswinging free kick from Thomas had to be nodded behind, following a rash challenge by Mills on Olomola as Carlisle continued to chip away at the stubborn defence, and another low, wicked set piece delivery almost crept in at the front stick until the keeper put his leg in the way.

United stopper Adam Collin gave another example of the fine form he's in when he found himself as the last line of defence after Mills had slipped Aitchison into a dangerous position. A thumping close-range strike was somehow turned round the post by a diving outstretched hand.

Both sides looked to play a passing game, and Thomas drilled a 25-yarder over the bar after Bridge and Knight-Percival had moved it from back to front following what had been a patient spell from Rovers.

A stinger from Winchester was well handled by Collin as it came at him through bodies at head height, with the game ebbing and flowing, but Jack Iredale should have been off the mark at the other end when the ball spun his way.

Nathan Thomas had done the hard work when he skipped in to take the ball off Kitching, and he initially sent the delivery at McKirdy as the wide man angled a run. It took a touch off Rawson and that set it up nicely for the volley. Iredale connected firmly but it whipped just past the upright.

Carlisle came again as Thomas picked up the pace but he had to check his run and wait for McKirdy to come into play. He had plenty to do as he dropped a shoulder but he couldn't keep his effort down and it sailed over the bar.

The Cumbrians looked up for it and Olomola disguised a pass to outfox the defenders as he set off on a winding run. His cross found Sagaf in a very advanced area and his volley on the stretch wasn't too far away.

A superb pass from the halfway line from Mike Jones almost carved the Rovers defence apart, with the game very finely balanced, and Sagaf pulled away from his marker to try to make it his own. It needed a good touch but it was an inch too far away and Lewis Thomas scampered out to snaffle it up.

There was danger at the other end when a reverse pass found Mills on his own. He crossed early, and Collin had to dive aggressively to parry it away. Gethin Jones kept his concentration to complete the clearance.

Collin had more to do in time added on for the half when Bridge hesitated to clear danger on the angle of his own box. Taylor's eyes lit up as it squirmed his way but the in-form glovesman was equal to the task with another strong one-handed touch.

The second period started with Rovers seeing plenty of the ball, without quite managing to find a way through. A cross from Godwin-Malife on 50 minutes looked to have ricocheted its way to Mills, but Gethin Jones and Webster combined to close the door.

Midfielder Jack Bridge produced another incisive run from deep as clear-cut chances remained at a premium, and he was disappointed when his clipped attempt rose quickly and flew over the nets.

Rovers looked like they were about to celebrate on 57 minutes when a heavy touch from Sagaf brought an unexpected attack down the left flank. It was put on a plate for Aitchison but Collin stepped across to make another fine block.

The visitors appealed loudly for a penalty just after the hour when Mike Jones blocked a cross from Taylor, and there was more controversy at the other end when a ball into space from Sagaf set McKirdy free. The referee called play to a halt having judged that a foul had been committed during the build up.

Match official Michael Salisbury caused a real moment of confusion on 70 minutes when James Morton chopped Hallam Hope to the floor. He showed a yellow, and rightly so, but completely forgot that he'd already booked the offending player in the first half. He was eventually put straight by his fourth official, with a red correctly produced, and that was followed by a further booking for manager Steven Pressley as he vented his frustration at the strange goings on.

Carlisle now had the one-man advantage and they almost made it pay immediately as Mike Jones slipped a lovely pass through to Hope. The striker was pushed wide and his cross was blocked at source.

Untidy defending from Rovers brought Knight-Percival forward and he unleashed a rare shot as he bounced a one-two off Bridge. It hit two bodies as it pinged this way and that, and Olomola could do nothing as it rattled against his shin and sped behind to safety.

A well-worked free kick tight by the corner flag almost brought purchase for the hosts when Thomas sent it short to Bridge. His flighted cross clipped the bar and fell into the six-yard box, but it was a defender who got there first to swipe it high.

Substitute Christie Elliott almost scored with his first touch when he got onto the end of a cross from Bridge literally seconds after coming on, but his header zipped agonisingly over the bar.

A late appeal for a home penalty was ignored by the officials, when Hope appeared to be dragged to the floor, and Nathan Thomas was also given the cold shoulder as he went down heavily when he tried to get on the end of good work from Hope.

The whistle blew on a share of the spoils for the combatants, with both sides left to ponder what might have been.



Carlisle United - Pressley (71), M Jones (76), Webster (79), Iredale (83), N Thomas (86)

Forest Green Rovers - Morton (18 & 70 - sent off), Winchester (37)



Carlisle United - Collin (c) (gk), Sagaf (Elliott 86), G Jones, Webster, Knight-Percival, Iredale, N Thomas (Loft 90), Bridge, M Jones, McKirdy (Hope 67), Olomola. Subs - Gray (gk), Mellish, Branthwaite, Sorensen.

Forest Green Rovers - L Thomas, Bernard, Rawson, Winchester, Stevens, Morton, Kitching, Godwin-Malife (Shephard 57), Mills (c), Taylor (Adams 73), Aitchison (Mondal 75). Subs - Wollacott (gk), Grubb, Allen, McGinley.


Match officials

Referee - Michael Salisbury
Assistant Referee 1 - Chris Isherwood
Assistant Referee 2 - Simon Clayton
Fourth Official - Daniel Woodward


Attendance - 3,219 (76 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account