Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

RESERVES: United 3 - 1 Morecambe

18 December 2013

Stats and facts from the game

United saved their best football for the second half as as a devastating seven minute spell turned the game on its head and left them with a comfortable victory from the first of their round robin Central League Cup fixtures.

Visitors Morecambe started brightly and they were ahead with just five minutes on the clock when Dunleavy found space on the right. His deep cross was well controlled by Marcus Marshall and he checked his pass as he waited for Mwasile to arrive. A neat lay off left the striker with an open goal and the simplest of tap-ins.

Carlisle worked hard to get things going and Arestidou did well to block a low shot from Morris as the midfielder let one fly from the edge of the area. His parry fell nicely for Noble but the big stopper recovered quickly to make another vital save.

A flowing move down the right hand side left Potts with an opening to cross low and he picked a perfect pass as Noble held his hands in the air. It looked to be a certain goal until he took his eye off the ball and pushed his first-time shot wide.

Morecambe had their moments and Greg Fleming saved well as McGowan thumped a curling shot through a ruck of bodies. Danny Livesey then intervened in the nick of time to prevent Mwasile from rounding off another smart move.

United switched their formation to 4-3-3 after the break and the pressure increased on the visiting goal as Beck, Roddan and Noble all had efforts on target.

Patience was the key and the home side brought the scores level on 72 minutes when Josh Morris found space in the box. He bided his time and drew the keeper before slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

It was suddenly all about the home side and Brad Potts turned provider on 75 minutes with a curling cross. It eventually broke for the trialist [Faz] and he made no mistake as he stabbed the ball into the net.

A two-goal cushion was established to round off what had been a devastating spell when Morris lost his marker on the edge of the area. A crunching, rasping left foot shot zipped under the keeper's dive and smashed emphatically into the bottom corner.

"We started slowly but we moved things around in the second half and we were pleased with the response," assistant manager Davie Irons said. "Josh [Morris] took his goals well and our passing was much crisper.

"It was a good chance for a lot of our lads to get 90 minutes under their belts and it will have done them the world of good because Morecambe came here to work hard."

United - Fleming, Potts, Livesey, Edwards, Chantler, Morris, Roddan, Noble, Brough (Hodgson 83), Beck (Marshall 83), Guy (Trialist 46). Subs - Chisholm.

Goals - Morris (72, 79), Trialist (75).

Morecambe - Arestidou, McGowan, Hudson, Bailey, Doyle (Newby 28), Diagne, Dunleavy (Naylor 68), Akande, Woods, Mwasile, Marshall. Subs - Kitchen, Roberts.

Goals - Mwasile (5).

Advertisement block