Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

27 September 2022 Venue Blundell Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW: Grimsby away on Tuesday night

A closer look at our midweek opponents

25 September 2022

Last month's first attempt was cut short with just 34 minutes on the clock when heavy rain turned the pitch into a pool, so United go again on Tuesday.


Manager Paul Hurst and his assistant Chris Doig have extended their deals with the League Two side following a great start to the season and, of course, the club's retrun to the EFL.

Hurst and Doig were unable to stop the Mariners from being relegated but led them back to the English Football League at the first attempt in May.

Grimsby beat Solihull Moors in the play-off final to secure their step back into League Two, and quick moves were made to bolster the squad with the capture of Halifax defender Niall Maher on a two-year deal.

Harrogate striker Danilo Orsi was another who joined for two years, and defender Luke Waterfall extended his stay for the same length of time.

Full-back Michee Efete also extended for two seasons, as did striker Ryan Taylor. Midfielder Stephen Wearne signed for a year on his release from Sunderland, and current players Danny Amos and Jordan Cropper committed for a further 12-months.

Burnley defender Anthony Glennon made his move permanent, having enjoyed a successful loan spell at Blundell Park, and July kicked off with a two-year deal for midfielder Otis Khan, who came in from Orient.

The midfield area received more competition when Kieran Green and Bryn Morris joined from Halifax and Burton respectively, and winger Brendon Kiernan penned a half-season loan deal from Walsall just three weeks ago.

Hull's Andy Smith, a central defender, agreed a second spell and another season in Cleethorpes, and striker John McAtee was immediately loaned back to Grimsby by Luton, having completed a summer move to the Hatters.

The Luton link was in play once again when striker Aribim Pepple signed a loan contract until the end of this season.

The season opener was a difficult away trip to Leyton Orient, and two early goals after the break sunk the Mariners on their return to the EFL.

But there were four wins and three draws from the seven league outings that followed, leading into the home meeting with Swindon on Saturday.

That was a frustrating defeat with the Robins digging deep to hold on to their one-goal advantage, despite being reduced to ten men for over 30 minutes.

They haven't netted what could be described as a flood of goals in the league so far, but they have a knack of finding results, hence their currrent position on the edge of the play-off places.

who watch

Midfielder Harry Clifton is a one-club man with over 175 appearances for Grimsby to his name.

The 24-year-old has four goals from his last seven appearances which suggests that he's found a decent run of form.

He likes to get forward, but he'll also look to pull the strings in the middle of the park. 


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

Please note - if you bought a match pass for the original fixture it WILL BE VALID for Tuesday's game.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team, with audio coverage available for every game.


These two sides have met on a total of 48 occasions over the years - going all the way back to the 1907/08 campaign when the Mariners registered a 6-2 FA Cup home victory over the fledgling Blues.

This, of course, does not include the 34 minutes in August 2022 which were played in terrible conditions and which, of course, eventually led to the abandonment of the game as the rain continued to rattle down.

Grimsby hold the bragging rights by some considerable margin, with 24 victories compared to United's 11. 

  Carlisle wins Draws Grimsby wins
League 9 11 19
FA Cup 0 1 2
Cup 1 0 0
League Cup 1 2 3
Total 11 14 24

It was 1-1 at Brunton Park in March 2021 thanks to a very late equaliser from Ozzy Zanzala.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The first meeting of the 2020/21 campaign was a 1-1 draw at Blundell Park. Matt Pollock scored the opener but a James McKeown own goal meant it was a share of the spoils come full time.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The last time the teams met was at Brunton Park in December 2019. Both sides slugged it out, but it was clean sheets all round as the spoils were shared.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was a sunny Bank Holiday Monday at Blundell Park in April 2019, and the game appeared to heading to a draw until Joe Grayson grabbed a winner deep into time added on.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

United were left empty-handed at Brunton Park in October earlier in that season as a first half goal from Luke Hendrie proved to be enough to take the spoils. The Blues had chances, but it wasn't their night as the visitors shut up shop to frustrate the home crowd.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Our November 2017 trip to Blundell Park saw United give as good as they got in a tight game. Grimsby shaded the first half with the woodwork and some heroics from Jack Bonham to thank for a clean sheet. The deadlock was eventually broken when defender Clint Hill got on the end of a superb cross from Gary Liddle. 

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Things were more comfortable in the home game with Hallam Hope opening the scoring with just three minutes on the clock. It was the perfect thank you to the fans who had turned up as early as 8am on match day to help to clear snow from the pitch, and the surrounding areas, to allow the game to go ahead. Mark Ellis secured the points with a close range header with just over 15 minutes left to play.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Referee - Simon Mather
Assistant Referee 1 - Michael George
Assistant Referee 2 - Declan Ford
Fourth Official - James Westgate
Observer - Mark Brown
Senior Observer - Clive Oliver

Our referee for this fixture is Mr Simon Mather. He has taken charge of six games so far this season and has shown 26 yellow cards and no reds. 

He was in charge for our away visit to Sutton in September 2021. United lost by 4-0, Brennan Dickenson was booked and substitute Manny Mampala was sent off when he picked up two yellow cards within the space of just 18 minutes.

We saw him again in February 2022 when we went to Salford. Omari Patrick scored our goal in a 2-1 defeat with Morgan Feeney and Joe Riley going in the book.


We have been allocated 250 seated tickets in the Osmond Stand, which is covered.

Tickets will be available to purchase on match day, however there will be a £2 increase in price.


Adult £20
Senior 65+  £13
Young adult 18 - 22  £13
Student with valid NUS Card  £13
Junior Accompanied 3 - 17 £5
Junior Unaccompanied 14 -17 £7

Ambulant disabled and wheelchair supporters pay the relevant price with the carer free of charge.

Dates of sale 

Date Time
Mon 15 Aug 10am – 4pm

Methods of purchase:

  • In person – come to the main ticket office at the designated time.
  • Phone – ring the ticket office 03300 945 930 option 1 at the designated times and pay with a credit / debit card.
  • Internet – buy online HERE.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Grimsby 1 - 2 United

Report from the Tuesday night away game

27 September 2022

United were in Cleethorpes for the second time in the space of a month for their rearranged League Two fixture, with the first attempt having fallen foul of some heavy rain and a 34th minute abandonment.

And the away team starters were unchanged from the weekend trip to Newport, where a late goal from Corey Whelan had earned a draw.

Sonny Hilton didn't travel, as he suffered from a rolled ankle picked up at Rodney Parade, and that meant that second-year Ryan Carr was handed another call-up to the bench.

Callum Guy made his 100th appearance for the club, having notched his first goal in a blue shirt three games ago, with Whelan once again handed the captain's armband.

There were a few raised eyebrows as rain started to fall heavily half an hour before kick off but that was quickly followed by relief when it abated, taking away the threat of another waterlogged pitch.

United got themselves into a good position with just two minutes on the clock when Guy looked up in midfield. A rifled through ball set Stretton on a run, and he used pace to get into the area. His low cross was aimed at Dennis but Crocombe dived to cut it out.

The Mariners had a good spell of pressure with crosses from Efete on the right providing a test. Amos recycled a deep one and his delivery eventually came to Hunt. A drilled effort was picked up by Holy at the second attempt.

Carlisle countered with some neat touches and Stretton was once again in a good area out on the left flank. He droped a shoulder and stepped inside, and he calmly rolled it for Moxon to hit. The midfielder became the latest player to register his first goal for the club with a thunderbolt of a 23-yard thump.

It was the away side who were dangerous again when Dennis controlled with his chest with his back to goal. Armer was in space, but his cross-shot from an angle struck Waterfall, who had scampered to cover.

A wicked ricochet from a charged down Huntington clearance had Taylor interested for the home team as it skipped and spun its way into the area. Mellish was fouled as he won the race to get to the loose pieces.

A quieter period followed and Hunt tried to take matters into his own hands when he robbed the ball off Guy. His swiped connection from distance was always going wide.

United went on the break after Mellish had slid in to stop a shot, with the crowd screaming for a free kick. The visitors ignored that, and Stretton was sent on a sprint. He used pace to cover the distance, leaving the chasers in his wake, but Crocombe dived to make a two-handed save when the clipped shot came.

Grimsby were close on 29 minutes when Khan ghosted his way through a packed midfield. It was suddenly there to go for and he kept it low on the run as he aimed for the bottom corner. Holy was beaten, but it was always heading towards the backing boards.

Manager Paul Simpson switched to a back four, with Mellish pushed into midfield, as he looked to stifle the threat of a build in home momentum, and it was a tactic that worked, with the Holy nets largely protected. 

And it was an overload from the red shirts that nearly paid dividend as Dennis and Gibson used Moxon to edge their way forward. Armer came late in support, and Crocombe had to stretch to fingertip it away from the lurking Kris Dennis. 

The corner from Moxon went low to the front stick, and a touch on the lean from Huntington left the defence flat-footed. Mellish tried to control and shoot but he was judged to have handled as it came his way.

Khan sent one over from distance at the other end when he sprinted into space, and the same player popped a 28-yard free kick over the wall, but into the safe hands of the big United stopper with Grimsby struggling to make any real impact.

The lead was doubled on the stroke of half-time when Efete lost his bearings as he tried to get a pass back to Crocombe. Kris Dennis was on his toes and he netted his eighth of the season (his tenth for the club in total) as he touched the gift past the keeper before stroking it over the line.

Carlisle worked hard to keep things tight after the break, and it wasn't until the 55th minute that the Mariners had half a sight. Khan spun his marker and volleyed, but it sailed over the bar.

A corner on 58 minutes was nodded wide by Waterfall, with the visitors settled in their shape, but substitute Lewis Richardson injected some belief when he wormed his way into the box. The ball was put behind, and Moxon twice defended as the corner and the follow up came at his chest.

Grimsby threw more men forward, but a poor set piece delivery let some of the pressure out of the valve. But the hosts were right back in it when an initial clearance from a dipping corner left Khan with time. He wasn't closed down, and Michee Efete was able to make amends for his error as he bundled the ball over the line when it rumbled onto his boot.

The lively Richardson forged a run to the edge of the box moments later and he was tripped by Guy on the line of the 'D'. Khan took it on, but it was stopped the wall. A second foul by Armer, this time on the byline, gave Khan the chance to loft it in but Huntington leaped to nod it to safety.

Carlisle looked edgy and they caused their own problems with two rushed passes in midfield. Richardson took it on, but his cruncher struck a thigh and swirled behind.

United heads calmed, and a foul on Dennis gave Moxon the chance to swing it in from deep. Huntington got there, but his header was too close to Crocombe.

Intelligent game management came into play as the home team found themselves at arm's length, but Huntington was needed to clear at the near post deep into time added on when Richardson tried to squeeze it in from a tight angle.

Harris needed treatment when he was clattered inside the box as another ball was sent in there, and it was the 144 away contingent who celebrated as they watched their team see their first away win of the season to a successful conclusion.



Grimsby Town - Efete (65)

Carlisle United - Moxon (7), Dennis (44)



Grimsby Town - Simmonds (72)

Carlisle United - Guy (67), Armer (69)



Grimsby Town - Crocombe, Maher, Amos (Kiernan 84), Waterfall (c), Efete, Maguire-Drew, Clifton, Khan, Taylor (Orsi 60), Hunt, Simmonds (Richardson 60). Subs - Glennon, Smith, Green, Holohan.

Carlisle United - Holy, Whelan (c), Huntington, Mellish (Charters 79), Back, Gibson (Harris 70), Guy, Moxon, Armer, Stretton, Dennis. Subs - Kelly (gk), Ellis, Bollado, Carr, Idehen.


Match officials

Referee - Simon Mather
Assistant Referee 1 - Michael George
Assistant Referee 2 - Declan Ford
Fourth Official - James Westgate
Observer - Mark Brown
Senior Observer - Clive Oliver


Attendance - 6,447 (144)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account