Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
21 August 2018 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

BIG MATCH PREVIEW: We take a look ahead to Tuesday night's game

Port Vale are up next at Brunton Park

20 August 2018

It was very much honours even between these sides last season as they exchanged 2-1 away victories from their League Two meetings.

Having flirted with the bottom places for much of the second half of the last campaign, they’ll be looking for an improvement and a smoother ride this time round.

Up and running

Tom PopeThe Valiants kicked off the season with a worrying defeat as they went down 2-0 in Essex against Colchester but the bounce-back was immediate with a convincing 3-0 home win over Cambridge to get themselves up and running.

Forwards Rick Miller and Tom Pope (2) bagged the goals.

A dogged performance at the weekend earned them their second victory of the campaign as Luke Hannant found the back of the net midway through the first half.

This game brings a return to Carlisle for midfield favourite Luke Joyce. 'Joycey' bagged five goals - some stunners amongst them - in 161 appearances across two spells with the club and there's no doubt that he'll get a good reception when he takes to the field ahead of the game.


Manager’s thoughts

Speaking ahead of the game, United boss John Sheridan said: “I know Neil Aspin well John Sheridanand he’ll have his team very hard to beat.

“They’ve had two good results and they’ll want to keep that going, but they’re all tough games at this level, it doesn’t matter who you play.

“When we’re at home I expect us to win, and I’m not being disrespectful to anyone in saying that.

“I want us to be strong and believe that we can beat anybody in front of our own fans.”

Remember, you can purchase your tickets by telephone on 0844 371 1921* or buy online and print at home, or order for collection, by clicking HERE.  

Save £3 on match day prices by purchasing your ticket before 5pm today!

*Calls to this number are charged at 7p per minute from landlines. Charges from mobiles may vary. A booking fee of £1 applies to all online transactions.


Comments from Port Vale boss Neil Aspin

Neil Aspin“In the three league games we have now had one where we have played well, one where we have not played at all, and this one [against Crawley on Saturday] where we need to be better than we were today.

"So, it has been a mixture, but if you'd have asked me before the season if would I take six points from the opening three games, of course I would have said yes.

“Now we have the tough trip to play Carlisle and that’s never an easy place to go. They’ve had a good away win but we go there looking to improve on what we’ve been doing and to get some momentum going.”

Fancy a flutter on the game? Bet responsibly with our official betting partner and title sponsor Sky Bet by clicking HERE.


Did You Know?

+ The club were once called Burslem Port Vale, but dropped the ‘Burslem’ from their name in 1907.

+ Port Vale hold the record for the most seasons in the Football League without playingRobbie Williams top-flight football - 106.

+ Perhaps Port Vale’s most famous supporter is singer Robbie Williams, who even owned shares in the club until 2012.


Head to Head

The sides have met a total of 35 times with the Valiants holding slightly the upper hand. They have 13 victories in comparison to United’s 12.


Carlisle wins


Port Vale wins





League Cup








FA Cup








The last meeting between these teams was in April, at the end of last season. Tuesday’s referee, Ben Toner, was also the official for that game – see the referee section below for match details.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The Blues had made heavy weather of the game earlier in the season, just before Christmas, when they allowed Tyrone Barnett and Tom Pope to give the visitors an unexpected two-goal cushion. A late strike from Richie Bennett did little to prevent the way side from taking the spoils on the day.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Man in the middle:

Ben TonerThe referee for this game is Mr Ben Toner. We last saw him, coincidentally, at Vale Park in March last season when second half goals from Ashley Nadesan and Hallam Hope handed the Blues a hard fought victory. Dior Angus had given the home side a first half lead, but Antony Kay was sent off for the hosts as tempers flared late in the game.

He was with us at Brunton Park in November last season when we beat Yeovil Town by 4-0, with Danny Grainger (2), Hallam Hope and Shaun Miller getting the goals. Bevis Mugabi was sent off with 15 minutes left to play for the Glovers.

The Checkatrade Trophy had brought him north two months earlier when Layton Ndukwu scored for Leicester City’s under-21 side to register a shock defeat for the Foxes. No names were taken on the night.

Referee - Ben Toner
Assistant Referee 1 - Barry Gordon
Assistant Referee 2 - Richard Wild
Fourth Official - Andy Haines


Ticket information:

Don’t forget, you can save £3 on match day prices if you buy your tickets in advance of match day.

Click HERE to purchase your tickets online - remember you can print at home or use your ticket on your phone or tablet to gain entry to the ground.


iFollow United ... do you?

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

We're making history as this game will be streamed live in the UK on our iFollow platform for the first time. Match passes cost just £10 - click HERE for more details.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 1 Vale

Report from the Tuesday evening league game

21 August 2018

It was the first of two back-to-back home games for the Blues on Tuesday night as they welcomed Neil Aspin's Port Vale side to Brunton Park, and a determined performance resulted in back-to-back wins as the hosts saw it through despite a late revival from their visitors

Fresh from their first victory of the campaign at Cheltenham at the weekend, they went into the game in confident mood with improved home form high on the agenda for this season's campaign.

The visit of the Valiants brought a return to Carlisle for Blues favourite Luke Joyce who enjoyed two excellent spells in Cumbria in his midfield berth earlier in his career, the most recent coming to a close just three months ago.

United were on the front-foot from the off and they almost took the lead when a Devitt corner was met on the full by Bennett. His header was going in until Brown tipped it over the bar. 

A string of three more corners followed in quick succession but Vale guarded their lines as Bennett, Devitt and Yates threatened.

Hope was next to cause problems when he cut his run inside from the left flank. He went for the shot from 25-yards but Yates was in the way and his intervention took the bullet away from the target.

A clipped pass forward from Gerrard was flicked on by Devitt on the edge of the box as the pressure levels stayed high, and Nadesan sprinted across to try to get a touch. Brown was off his line quickly to smother the danger.

Great distribution from Fryer allowed Yates to get forward at pace but his direct run was cut short when the back line closed ranks. 

It was all about the home side in the opening minutes and Hope won another corner when his cross was blocked as he tried to get round his man. Bennett was pulled up for climbing on his marker as the high delivery came in.

A shot from Hannant went well wide at the other end, when he was picked out by Dodds, and Gerrard was brave when he bent low to clear a cross from the dangerous wide man as the visitors tried to get a foothold in the game.

The Blues kept tapping at the door, with a swiped shot from Hope which went over the bar and a drilled cross from Bennett that bent too close to Brown, but Fryer still had work to do when he plucked a measured volley from the edge of the area out of the night sky.

A free kick from Grainger was put behind before Bennett could connect, with Carlisle attacking at every opportunity, and the captain had his follow-up corner put behind as Parkes jumped to greet it. 

The good home work was nearly undone when Vale broke at pace with Hannant in acres of space. He took a touch and went for the far corner and Fryer was relieved to see it edge past his upright as it whipped along the floor.

United thought they'd finally picked the lock when a lovely, quick passage of play left Etuhu with a sight of the target. His shot hit Rowlandson and spun agonisingly just past the post with Brown well beaten.

The corner delivery saw Parkes pushed to the floor by Rowlandson and referee Ben Toner had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Danny Grainger placed the ball and he opened his account for the campaign with a sweetly struck spot kick.

The Valiants threw men forward immediately after the restart and Bennett had to put it behind as a free kick angled in at the back stick. The resulting set piece was rolled short to Joyce but he couldn't keep his punt down and it flew over the bar.

A Bennett header from a Devitt free kick looped high onto the roof of the net when he peeled away into space just before the break, and Nadesan appeared to have done everything right as he latched onto a poor back pass right in front of goal. He held it up, drew the keeper, but was thwarted by a block on the line by Legge just as it appeared that he was opening his Brunton Park account.

Vale were wasteful again when Joyce dragged another shot from distance into the advertising hoardings, and United slowed things down as they took their one goal advantage into the half time dressing room.

Carlisle survived an early scare at the start of the second period when a curled pass was diverted over the bar. They regrouped and cut forward with a lovely pass from Devitt, following strong work from Etuhu. Nadesan took it on, and he found Yates on the overlap on the right hand edge of the box. He dropped a shoulder and went for the top corner but it flashed an inch over the woodwork.

The visitors had more to say going forward and substitute Cristiano Montano was disappointed with himself when he sent a shot too close to Fryer. Miller then had a header blocked by Liddle and the hosts were let off the hook when Pope got on the end of a superb delivery just four yards out. His header had power but he somehow guided it into the Waterworks End.

A quickly taken throw caused another nervous moment as Miller suddenly found himself with time and space. He was at an angle, 12-yards out, and he miscued what turned into a poor effort. He was better moments later when he put his boot through a long range swipe, but Fryer stepped across to take it into his gloves.

It was good pressure from the visitors and a hopeful high ball had to be guided behind by Gerrard as Vale's big men lurked. Etuhu tried to relieve some of the mounting tension when he called for the ball in midfield. He stepped forward and caught it on the full, but Brown was comfortable in the save. 

A Carlisle break came to nothing when Hope scuffed his cross straight at Brown, following a direct run from Yates, and Etuhu skied one as Devitt made more space on the edge of the area.

Etuhu had his shooting boots on and he wasn't too far away when he took a lovely touch before winding his way past his man. His 22-yard crunch had power but it whisked just over the woodwork.

The improved home spell had Brown saving at full length from Devitt as he went for the top corner from the 'D' and Etuhu was there again with a beauty that needed another acrobatic save from the stopper to prevent him from finding the back of the net.

United were rewarded for their increased tempo when Tom Parkes stood strong to smash a firm header past Brown as he got on the end of Devitt's corner.

Striker Richie Bennett was close when he shot over late in the day, and Vale gave themselves a late lifeline when Hannant scored a superb free kick from distance. He struck it perfectly and Fryer had no chance.

A pull back from Glendon went behind everybody inside the area in time added on, and that allowed Vale to break, but the Cumbrians saw it through to claim their first home victory of the campaign.



Carlisle United - Grainger (30 pen), Parkes (84)

Port Vale - Hannant (88)



Port Vale - Legge (40), Clark (64)



Carlisle United - Fryer, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Grainger, Yates, Devitt, Etuhu, Hope, Bennett, Nadesan (Glendon 58). Subs - Collin, G Miller, Gillesphey, Slater, Campbell, Adewusi.

Port Vale - Brown, Joyce, Legge, Kay (Quigley 85), Pope, R Miller (Worrall 69), Hannant, Rawlinson, Smith, Dodds (Montano 46), Clark. Subs - Hornby, Gibbons, Tonge, Vassell.


Referee - Ben Toner

Attendance - 3,688 (175 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account