Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
14 August 2018 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English League Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

BIG MATCH PREVIEW: We take a look at Tuesday night's game

A preview of the Carabao Cup first round fixture

13 August 2018

United return to Brunton Park on Tuesday night for their second home game in the space of four days when they host Blackburn Rovers in the first round of this season’s Carabao Cup competition.

John SheridanCarlisle boss John Sheridan said: “Blackburn have shown already that they are going to be a very difficult team to beat. They have some good players who are involved at Championship level for a reason. I know Tony [Mowbray] well and I have no doubt he will send his team out to do a job.

“We showed on Saturday that we have our own players who can hurt teams, and this is another game we want to win. Our ladss aren’t there just for the sake of it, they’ll be competing and looking to progress in the competition.

“I think it’ll be a good game against a team from a higher division who like to get it down and pass it. That’s exactly how we want to do things, so I hope it will be entertaining to watch.”

Fresh from promotion last season, Rovers come into the new campaign looking to build on their success and push on. A strong team is expected to feature for this meeting of two sides who, as the respective managers say, like to do things properly.

Remember, you can purchase your tickets by telephone on 0844 371 1921* or buy online and print at home, or order for collection, by clicking HERE.  

*Calls to this number are charged at 7p per minute from landlines. Charges from mobiles may vary. A booking fee of £1 applies to all online transactions.


What Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray said about their last outing [Rovers 0 – 0 Millwall] ...

Tony Mowbray“I think ultimately I feel frustration again at the second half performance. The first half was a non-event for us, really. I just said in the dressing room that I think we got Millwall-ed in the first-half.

"Millwall play forward, keep it in, put it in your box, slow everything down - everything's like a set-play, really. It's like a slow build-up to everything and you have to play well, and unfortunately they could have scored a few goals.

"We pushed the reset button and went back to basics at half-time, and it was more like our team.”

Fancy a flutter on the game? Bet responsibly with our official betting partner and title sponsor Sky Bet by clicking HERE.


Did You Know?

Kenny Dalglish+ Rovers have won the FA Cup on six occasions and have been runners-up twice. They first lifted the trophy way back in 1884.

+ The attendance record is for an FA Cup sixth round meeting with Bolton Wanderers in March 1929. 62,522 people were at the game.

+ Blackburn, led by Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish, bucked the trend and broke the big club strangehold when they dramatically won the Premier League title on the last day of the 1994/95 season.


Head to Head

The sides have met a total of 29 times over the years, with an even split of 13 wins for United and 13 victories for Rovers.


Carlisle wins


Blackburn wins

League Cup




League Trophy








FA Cup








Our last meeting was in the Checkatrade Trophy here at Brunton Park two seasons ago when goals from Shaun Miller and Danny Grainger [penalty] were enough to give us a relatively comfortable second group stage victory.

We last met in this competition in what was a thrilling 3-3 encounter, as the game ebbed and flowed its way to a penalty shoot-out. Tom Cairney (who was later sent off in time added on), Alan Judge and Chris Taylor bagged for the visitors with David Amoo (2) and Lewis Guy hitting the net for the Blues. It was left to David Symington to seal our progression with a bullet of a spot kick.

Watch the highlights of that game here:


The Man in the Middle

Ross JoyceOur match official for this game is Mr Ross Joyce.

Ross has been the man in the middle for two games so far this season and has shown a total of three yellow cards.

He was last at Brunton Park for our 1-1 draw with Colchester last February. Jamie Devitt scored our goal and there were no names taken on the day.

That was the second occasion where he had been our match referee last season. We saw him first for our 5-0 demolition of Crewe at Gresty Road earlier in the campaign.

Goals from Danny Grainger [2], Reggie Lambe and Hallam Hope were complemented by an own goal from former Blue Michael Raynes. He was also the only player to be booked on the day.

Referee – Ross Joyce
Assistant Referee – David Avent
Assistant Referee – Graeme Fyvie
Fourth Official – Glen Hart


iFollow United ... do you?

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 5 Rovers

Report from the Tuesday night home game

14 August 2018

United were in Carabao Cup action on Tuesday night as they welcomed Championship side Blackburn Rovers to Brunton Park for the first round of this season's knock-out competition.

The Cumbrians may well have found themselves on the wrong end of a heavy defeat but the scoreline didn't quite tell the full story as the home fans yet again showed their appreciation for the nature of the football on show from their team.

Blackburn were out of the blocks quickly as Nyambe crossed from the right flank, when he overlapped during a spell of early pressure. Liddle hooked it clear, but the ball came back quickly and Armstrong was left all alone as he waited for a touch from Dack. The midfielder obliged and Fryer was left with no chance as a firm shot whistled past him from just inside the area.

United responded with a good move which saw Etuhu shield the ball before spreading it to Liddle. He came inside to use Slater and Campbell, before Etuhu called again when he found space. Hope was available, and his trademark run from wide brought a low shot which Raya had to watch closely.

The Cumbrians were left with what looked like it might be a mountain to climb when Rovers burst clear from deep with bodies to spare. A curled cross skipped off the surface and Fryer was caught by surprise as it bounced awkwardly off his chest. Bradley Dack was on the run and he had the simple task of tapping it into the gaping target from close range.

A 20-yard free kick from Devitt smashed into the wall as Carlisle kept going, and Gillesphey was even closer from a similar distance when he took charge following another foul on the livewire Jamie Devitt. Raya was a spectator as the set piece thunderbolt smacked into the angle of post and bar and then down onto the boot of a waiting defender.

United started to see more of the ball and one-touch stuff from Campbell and Devitt almost put Yates clean through. He eventually won control but his lobbed volley was easy for the keeper to deal with.

The Blues were right back in it midway through the first half when Hallam Hope took matters into his own hands as he bent his run away from his markers. He set Brunton Park alight as he pulled the trigger from 30-yards, with Raya well beaten as it nestled in his top corner.

Home tails were up and the hosts were almost level moments later when Devitt zipped a beauty of a free kick into the mix. Yates challenged, as did Gerrard, but Rovers stood strong and an outstretched boot eventually ushered it away.

United started to look the more likely as crosses came from left and right, but they couldn't quite find the finishing touch as Rovers defended deep. The visitors weathered the storm and they restored their two-goal cushion courtesy of a wonderful piece of skill from Dack. He took a touch with his back to goal, dragged the ball to one side, spun, and crashed a fierce effort into the top corner from just inside the box.

Carlisle had work to do to lift themselves again but they were guilty of making it an even tougher task just before the break when they hesitated to get the ball clear inside their own box. Kasey Palmer couldn't believe his luck as he picked it up, shifted it and then picked his spot.

Campbell and Liddle combined to create a good opening on the stroke of half time, but Devitt couldn't quite wrap his boot round it and Raya was grateful as it came at him at chest height. Adam Campbell then brought the crowd to its feet when he took a pass onto his toe end with a deft touch from Liddle. His shot had goal written all over it until it hit the underside of the bar and bounced away to safety.

Another good chance fell to Hope when he squirmed out of a challenge to steam into the area. He tried to place his effort but it screwed sharply off his toe and bounced wide of the upright. Devitt then had a go from a similar distance but he got his bearings wrong and Raya was able to let it pass safely on its way.

Excellent wok from Yates brought more applause from the crowd as he twisted and turned away from his marker. A reverse pass released Campbell, but the flag went up for offside to bring the move to an end.

The night was ended as a contest on 55 minutes when a fine through ball sliced the home defence in two. Adam Armstrong timed his run perfectly and he drew Fryer off his line before crunching it home.

Raya spilled a speculative shot from Campbell as the hosts, to their credit, refused to allow heads to drop, but there was nobody on the follow-up and the keeper was relieved to scoop it up.

Fryer denied Dack his hat-trick when he acrobatically dived high to get a fingertip to a deflected shot which came at him from a difficult angle. The touch was vital as the ball dipped angrily towards his top corner.

Hope kept asking for the ball and he brought a superb save from the Rovers keeper as he dropped a shoulder and curled his effort through bodies. It was spotted late but firm hands clawed it away at the very last moment.

It was suddenly all about the keepers and Fryer beat down another stinger from Dack as he kept trying to add to his tally, and Devitt was a whisker away when Hope rolled the ball into his path. He got over it well but it whisked just over the bar.

Rovers managed the remaining time well as they slowed the pace of the game right down, but Raya was needed twice in quick succession as he first pulled off an excellent one-handed save to deny Devitt, only to repeat the feat less than a minute later when Campbell thought he'd registered his first for the club. Substitute Richie Bennett then guided a looped header onto the roof of the net as he tried to make something from a dipping delivery.

More tenacious work from Campbell took him through a series of challenges in midfield and Bennett took over with a surging run before he played the ball off to his left. Campbell was there, but so was Raya, and the front man was denied the goal his performance more than deserved.

Fryer saved from Samuel deep into time added on, and that was that as Blackburn took their place in Thursday night's second round draw.



Carlisle United - Hope (22)

Blackburn Rovers - Armstrong (2, 55), Dack (6, 34), Palmer (40)



Carlisle United - Etuhu (81)

Blackburn Rovers - Palmer (13)



Carlisle United - Fryer, Liddle, Gerrard (Miller 46), Parkes, Hope, Devitt, Gillesphey, Slater (Bennett 62), Campbell, Yates, Etuhu. Subs - Collin, Grainger, Glendon, Adewusi, Egan. 

Blackburn Rovers - Raya, Nyambe, Armstrong (Nuttall 62), Rothwell (Whittingham 59), Mulgrew, Bell, Dack, Lenihan, Travis, Conway, Palmer (Samuel 59). Subs - Leutwiler, Smallwood, Downing, Evans.


Referee - Mr Ross Joyce

Attendance - 3,156 (645 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account