Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Welling 0 - 5 United

6 December 2015

Wyke hat-trick steals the show ...

Carlisle United put aside their concerns about the unbelievable flooding events up in Cumbria to produce a very professional performance which booked their place in Monday night's second round draw.

United fashioned their first chance of the day with just 17 seconds on the clock when McQueen sent a long ball forward to Ibehre. He chested it down and turned, and his cross invited Wyke to leap. A firm header had McEntegart beaten but it dropped wide of the upright.

A second attack followed quickly when Gilliead put McQueen clear on the right flank.  His low cross was cleared to Ibehre but his wild volley, on the run, flew high over the bar. 

United stayed forward and neat passing brought another touch from Ibehre inside the area. Sweeney called for it and he set himself before drilling the ball through bodies at the bottom corner. The keeper dived late but completed a fantastic save.

Carlisle controlled the territory and the Ibehre outlet was used to good effect as he looked to cause problems. A spin on the spot from him gave Grainger a crossing opportunity, and Chambers had to intervene before Wyke could finish it off.

Welling showed as an attacking force on 13 minutes when Wellard spread the play to Williams. His cross took a deflection before Kennedy recovered to hook it away to safety.

The visitors were gifted a goal on 18 minutes when Jabo Ibehre robbed possession in the middle of the park. He played a perfect through ball for Wyke to chase and the big striker made no mistake as he drew the keeper and picked his spot.

Blue tails were up and a succession of corners had Welling stretched as Sweeney and Wyke challenged for half clearances and loose balls.

Another chance was created from almost nothing when Kennedy stuck a toe out to take it away from Corne. Wyke took over and he was disappointed to see his shot fly straight at the stopper when he had options left and right.

Welling reminded Carlisle that there was still work to do when Wellard and Porter exchanged passes on the edge of the box. Bakare showed last but his long range volley was never going to trouble the target.

The Cumbrians survived loud penalty appeals on the half hour when Porter was bundled over inside the box by Ellis, but they reasserted themselves with two good runs from Gilliead which had the left side of the home rearguard extremely worried. 

The hosts enjoyed a good spell of pressure ahead of the break and a blocked shot from Wellard gave Porter a corner to work at. Ellis stood his ground and cleared as Chambers tried to poke it through.

Carlisle bided their time and doubled their advantage when a Gilliead cross was sent behind for a corner. Grainger dropped it into the mix and volleys from Ibehre and Kennedy were blocked before Ibehre's second bite of the cherry clipped off Sweeney and spun into the unguarded net.

Welling keeper Mike McEntegart earned himself hero status when he held his ground to save a Grainger penalty six minutes into the second half, after Ibehre had been toppled by Fagan, but the applause for his efforts had to wait until Wyke's header from the resulting corner spun past the angle of post and bar.

McEntegart was in fine form again moments later when an exchange of flicks between Gilliead and Wyke sent the former clean through. Pushed to a tight angle it still needed strong hands from the keeper when the shot came in.

A 24-yard free kick from Grainger dipped over the target as United asked more questions, and they were given a second penalty when a Wyke header put Sweeney through. Osborne pushed him over and was shown a straight rec card for his ungainly intervention. Danny Grainger made amends as he placed the ball on the spot and smashed it into the top corner.

The game was wrapped up on 71 minutes when Gilliead shot low from the edge of the area. McEntegart parried it and Wyke was there to double his personal tally for the day with a calm strike into an empty net.

Bakare could have netted a consolation goal as he arrived late for a Porter cross, and Raynes went close at the other end when he jumped highest to meet a cross from Joyce.

Substitutions affected the flow of the play but Kabba went close when he threw a leg out to meet a ball over the top. He got plenty of power into it but it was always heading for the advertising hoardings.

A wicked free kick from Corne appeared to have provided the consolation for the Wings as it dipped over Hanford at the back post. Time seemed to stand still as it rattled against the underside of the bar and bounced away to safety.

Forward Charlie Wyke claimed the match ball in time added on when he finished off a flowing move, and Kennedy almost added to the tally when he struck the post with a volley which caught the keeper flat-footed.



United - Wyke (18, 71, 90), Sweeney (44), Grainger (67 pen)



Welling - sent off - Osborne (67)

United - Sweeney (26), Ellis (76)



Welling United - McEntegart, Jefford, Fagan (Lee 57), Osborne, Chambers, Porter, St Aimie (Harris 61), Wellard, Corne, Williams, Bakare (Kabba 77). Subs - Aksoy, Adeyinka, Lokko, Vidal.

Carlisle United - Hanford, McQueen, Raynes, Ellis, Grainger, Gilliead (Brough 71), Joyce, Kennedy, Sweeney (Dicker 67), Ibehre (Asamoah 67), Wyke. Subs - Bacon, Hery, Archibald-Henville, Thompson.


Referee - Mr Simon Hooper

Attendance - 2,028 (550 away fans)

Advertisement block