Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

29 October 2022 Venue Prenton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW: The first of two quickfire meetings

United away in the Wirral at the weekend

27 October 2022

With these two sides being drawn out of the FA Cup hat to face each other this is now the first of two meetings within the space of eight days.


Tranmere went into Tuesday night's home game against Rochdale on a run of six league games unbeaten. 

Five of those had been wins - a set of results that had seen them motor their way up the table. 

They didn't get it all their own way though in midweek as Ian Henderson put Dale in front. Kane Hemmings levelled things up just four minutes later.

Tranmere dominated for long periods, but they had to settle for the point on what became a frustrating night.

who watch

Striker Elliott Nevitt has had to do things the hard way, by remaining patient as he kept his head down on the non-league circuit.

Three goals from the bench against Crewe (two in the league and on on the Papa Johns) earned him a start for last Saturday's 1-1 away draw at Harrogate.

He now has six goals for the season and will be looking to carry that on.

I think it also goes without saying that we're all looking forward to seeing Dynel Simeu.


Click HERE to purchase an audio match pass which will allow you to listen to this game via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through the season.

Match audio passes are available for ALL EFL league games - click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.


  Carlisle wins Draws Tranmere wins
League 31 17 32
Trophy 0 2 0
FA Cup 1 0 3
League Cup 2 1 2
Total 34 20 37

It was a game you couldn't take your eye off in April 2022 with Calum MacDonald and Kieron Morris sent off for the hosts. Kane Hemmings and Elliott Nevitt had twice put them ahead, with Omari Patrick and Tobi Sho-Silva doing the honours with the equalisers to make it a 2-2 outcome.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Carlisle were undone by an own goal just after half-time in October 2021 as Tranmere went away from Cumbria with a one-goal win.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

A game that could have gone either way saw James Vaughan grab a late winner as Tranmere took the spoils home in February 2021. Vaughan had also scored in the first half, as did Kane Woolery, with Josh Kayode and Nick Anderton bagging for the Cumbrians.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

These teams met at Prenton Park in November 2020 with Keith Hill newly-appointed as manager. It was a tight game, but Corey Taylor netted the only goal of the encounter just after the break.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was a comfortable three-goal home victory for Rovers in March 2019 when Ollie Banks broke the deadlock just before half time. Oliver Norwood and Manny Monthe completed the scoring after the break.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Tranmere took all three points home from their trip to Cumbria in September 2018. The Blues had 15 minutes to forget at the end of the game as a penalty miss was followed by an own goal from Tom Parkes, and a killer blow from Paul Mullin just before the final whistle.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Our last meeting prior to that was in February 2015, at Prenton Park, when a quickfire double from Charlie Wyke just after the break secured a 2-0 away victory for the Blues. It came at a price as Kyle Dempsey received his marching orders deep into time added on.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The league meeting at Brunton Park earlier that season was a tense affair, but a nice finish from David Amoo with just 20 minutes left to play proved to be the difference as the Cumbrians battled their way to a hard-earned three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The trio of meetings from that season was completed, again at Prenton Park, when the sides came together in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy. Brad Potts got on the end of a good move to cancel out a first half Max Power goal, but it was Tranmere who progressed as they got the better of the penalty shoot-out, winning by 5-4 at the end of a very long night.

Watch the highlights of that game here:


Referee - Carl Boyeson
Assistant Referee 1 - Abbas Khan
Assistant Referee 2 - Jake Topp
Fourth Official - Nik Barnard
Observer - Muhammed Matada

Our referee for this game is Mr Carl Boyeson. He has been the man in the middle for six games so far this season showing 17 yellow cards and no reds.

Carl was the referee for Paul Simpson's first game in charge of his second spell as gaffer at the club - a 1-0 away win at Leyton Orient. Omari Patrick scored with just five minutes on the clock and Theo Archibald was shown a red to make matters worse for the home team. Jack Armer, Joe Riley, Dynel Simeu and Corey Whelan were all booked for the Blues.

He was in charge for the home game against Oldham in February 2021 when a Josh Kayode opener was cancelled out and overtaken by three away goals. George Tanner and Nick Anderton were shown yellows on the day.

He was at Boundary Park in September 2020 for the Carabao Cup game where Nick Anderton, Aaron Hayden and Rod McDonald all went in the book.

A regular for Carlisle United fixtures, we saw him just once in 2019/20. That was for the August 2019 visit of Mansfield when Danny Rose and Nicky Maynard put the visitors two goals to the good before the break. That was how the game ended, but it was a day for cards as three of the away side were joined by Byron Webster for United with yellows to their name.

Season 2018/19 put him in charge of our games on three different occasions. He was the man in the middle for our 3-0 away defeat at Stevenage in April - a day which also saw Gary Miller and Tom Parkes go in the book.

Prior to that he was our match referee in January when he took charge of the home game against Cheltenham. Early second half goals from Jamie Devitt and Hallam Hope bagged us the victory, and there were no United names taken on the day.

Also, in November 2018, he officiated for our home game against Forest Green in November. Ben Morris and Carl Winchester had given the visitors a two-goal cushion, but a late Jamie Devitt penalty turned out to be nothing more than a consolation as Rovers claimed their victory. Anthony Gerrard was the only Carlisle name to be logged.

Think back a little further and he was in charge of a game that turned into a thriller for all the wrong reasons when we made the trip to face Wycombe in February 2018. A horrible first half saw the Blues go two goals behind as Matt Bloomfield and Luke O'Nien bagged quickfire goals either side of the half hour mark.

The tide changed at the start of the second half when O'Nien was sent off, and a penalty from Danny Grainger brought United right back into the game. Jamie Devitt and Cole Stockton turned it well and truly on its head, and the visitors appeared to have secured the three points as the clock ticked in to time added on.

That was when the world fell apart for the Cumbrians as Marcus Bean and Paris Cowan-Hall pounced within seconds of each other to leave the away side pondering what might have been.


We have been allocated seated tickets in the Cowshed Stand which is situated behind the goal.

There will be no ticket price increase on the day of the game.

You can pre-book parking at a reduced price of £6 by contacting Tranmere Rovers directly on 03330 144 452 or you can pay £7 on the match day which operators on a first come first served basis.


Adult  £22
Senior 65+ £17
Young Adult 23-24 £18
Young Person 18-22 £15
U18 £9
U12 £5
Ambulant Disabled  £15

Ambulant disabled supporters pay the reduced price of £15 with the carer free of charge. Wheelchair supporters pay the relevant price with the carer free of charge.

Dates of sale

Date Time
Thu 27 Oct 10am – 5pm
Fri 28 Oct 10am – 4pm

Methods of purchase:

  • In person – come to the main ticket office at the designated time.
  • Phone – ring the ticket office 03300 945 930 option 1 at the designated times and pay with a credit / debit card.
  • Internet – buy online HERE.


If you wish to purchase bus travel you can organise this by calling CUSAT on 07563 700 987.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Tranmere 0 - 2 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

29 October 2022

This will all seem very familiar when these teams meet again at Brunton Park in the Emirates FA Cup first-round next week.

But, for now, the focus was the on the three points and another important league fixture.

There were two enforced changes for manager Paul Simpson from Stockport on Tuesday night, making four in total, with Jordan Gibson missing out to suspension having picked up his fifth yellow card, and Fin Back absent through illness. Jack Stretton and Jack Ellis were in as replacements. 

Fit again Paul Huntington returned to the heart of the defence and Taylor Charters made his first league start of the season to make it four changes in total. Jayden Harris and Corey Whelan took a place on the bench.

That meant the side had four Cumbrians starting (Charters, Ellis, Huntington and Moxon), and a Cumbrian manager and assistant manager, giving it very much a local feel.

The last time there were four home grown players starting was back in April 2015 when Patrick Brough, Kyle Dempsey, Danny Grainger and Steven Rigg helped the Blues to a 2-0 win over Plymouth, a result that kept the club up. 

It took just 39 seconds for the Blues to open their account when Stretton got onto the end of a superb ball forward from Guy. It was a raking, 60-yard pass and the striker put it on a plate for his partner, who had followed the move, with a fizzing delivery. It was goal number nine of the season, this one from close range, for Dennis.

Midfielder Guy tried the same type of pass moments later, but Stretton's cut back was stopped by Merrie as he backtracked.

It was a really bright start from the away team and Mellish raced out of defence to control a touch from Charters on his chest with everyone looking to get onto the ball. Armer took over, and he quickly fed Mellish into space. A low cross was met by Dennis on the penalty spot but it was blocked by Simeu.

There was another half chance on 11 minutes when Feeney floated a free kick from deep into the mix. Charters nodded it down, and Dennis looked to connect on the volley. He was closed down just as he spun to hit it.

United thought they'd doubled their lead on 13 minutes when Charters, making his first league start since Newport away in October last year, got his head down to attack the box. He used Dennis as a bounce board, but his grasscutter was parried by Doohan. Stretton popped it over the line but the flag went up for offside.

A huge kick forward had Hawkes interested at the other end as it spun his way. A fierce shot hit Huntington on the chest and spun past the post.

More good football saw Moxon spread it wide after Ellis had recovered possession. He got it back from Armer, and Guy pulled off his man to make an option. He had two defenders on his case and the shot skewed off the top of his boot.

Carlisle were on their game through the early stages and Ellis linked up with Dennis to get to the byeline. His cross fizzed across the face of the target as Armer and Stretton launched themselves at it.

A firm interception in his own half from Moxon sent Stretton through as the ball sailed high. He was suddenly up against Doohan, with the keeper getting a boot to it just in the nick of time. 

The home side struggled to make an impact, but Morris demonstrated fleet of foot when he dropped a shoulder to ghost past two defenders. He pulled the trigger on the run but Feeney lunged in to get in the way.

United were dominant, and Guy was masterful in the way he wriggled away from three opponents before putting it into the box. Dennis had his back to goal, and he tried to bring Stretton into play with a light touch. The forward was muscled out of it before he could shoot.

Mellish was on hand to clear when Hawkes tried to cause problems with a clipped reverse pass inside the area, with Tranmere attacking in fits and starts, and Holy showed an excellent reaction when Morris got on the end of the resulting inswinging corner. It was going into the roof of the net until fingertips diverted it over.

The visitors came again when Stretton touched off a high ball for Guy to latch onto. A sprint opened things up but his curler could only find the side netting.

Hawkes tried his luck from distance just before the break, but Holy was able to dive comfortably to gather it in.

Moxon then bullied his way onto the ball from the clearance, and he looked for Armer with the teasing cross. The referee decided there was a push just as he tried to get a toe on it.

There was a Tranmere corner to deal with in time added on for the half, and Guy was flattened by Hemmings as he got the first contact. That was that at the end of what had been an immense 45 minutes from the away team.

A quick throw from Ellis put Dennis beyond the backline at the start of the second period, but he had to cross under pressure and Doohan took it in.

Guy had to be replaced by Harris when he went to ground on 52 minutes, and the substitute was involved immediately as he got the ball out to Ellis. A foul on the youngster brought a free kick, and that was delivered low by Moxon. Stretton was pushed to the floor by Nevitt as he looked to get there, and the whistle subsequently blew for a penalty. Kris Dennis took himself into double figures with an excellently placed finish.

United had long throws and crosses to contend with through a tighter spell of the game, but Huntington and Mellish met everything, and Feeney chimed in with a storming run from the edge of his own box to relieve the pressure.

Bristow was up to take a free kick from a dangerous area at a difficult angle midway through the half, but Holy came off the line to make it his.

Rovers came again as Dacres-Cogley overlapped, but Nevitt got his bearings wrong with the shot and it climbed wide.

Jack Ellis brought the away fans to their feet when he nutmegged Bristow and battled his way into the box right in front of them. He popped it across the goal line but it was agonisingly just in front of Charters.

Morris fired wide with a snapshot as Tranmere were kept out of the area, and Simeu put a cross straight at Holy as the home crowd started to turn and lose their patience.

Holy was commanding at the back, punching and catching as required, and he was backed up by a 'whole team' performance through every area of the pitch. 

Jon Mellish picked up his fifth booking of the season in time added on, meaning he'll miss a game, but even that couldn't put the dampeners on what was as good an away display as we are likely to see.



Carlisle United - Dennis (39 seconds, 54 pen)



Carlisle United - Dennis (66), Mellish (90)



Tranmere Rovers - Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Bristow, O'Connor, Merrie (Nolan 46), Morris, Hemmings (c), Hawkes, Turnbull, Nevitt (Burton 72), Simeu. Subs - Hewelt (gk), McAlear, Hughes, Jameson, Byrne.

Carlisle United - Holy, Feeney (c), Huntington, Mellish, Ellis, Moxon, Guy (Harris 52), Charters (Whelan 86), Armer, Dennis (Sho-Silva 83), Stretton. Subs - Kelly (gk), Carr, Bollado, Idehen.


Match officials 

Referee - Carl Boyeson
Assistant Referee 1 - Abbas Khan
Assistant Referee 2 - Jake Topp
Fourth Official - Nik Barnard
Observer - Muhammed Matada


Attendance - 6,756 (905)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account