Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

09 October 2021 Venue Memorial Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW: Long trip to Bristol at the weekend

Off down the M6 and the M5

7 October 2021

United head into Bristol on Saturday to face the Pirates of Bristol Rovers.


Striker Leon Clarke was ruled out for the long-term midway through September when he picked up a hamstring injury, just a fortnight after he'd joined the club. 

He'd arrived on the same day as experienced left back Junior Brown, who was with Scunthorpe last term, and former Everton Midfielder Antony Evans.

On the coaching side of things Clint Hill left the Pirates part way through August to be replaced by Kevin Bond, who has had managerial experience with Southend and Bournemouth.

With Rovers struggling for results veteran midfielder Glenn Whelan - who notched up over 200 Premier League appearances with Stoke and Aston Villa - was added to the ranks at the beginning of September having been released by previous club Fleetwood.


A tough first month saw the Pirates record just one league win - at home to Oldham - as the cloud of last season's relegation hung over them and as they struggled to settle with life in League Two.

September was better, with victories over Walsall and Crawley, but they suffered a disappointing home defeat last weekend as Swindon roared to life after the break to score three goals and take the points. More salt was rubbed into the wounds when Alfie Kilgour picked up a second booking and a red card with just over five minutes left to play.

Rovers became one of the first clubs this season to utilise the concussion sub clause when Connor Taylor had to be taken off in that Swindon game. The rule allows for an additional switch, which they used, should a player from either side suffer a head injury.

who watch

Winger Harry Anderson penned a two-year deal in the summer having spent an enjoyable spell with Lincoln City, where he was part of their promotion push from League Two.

He netted his first goal for his new club last Saturday, and is known for his direct and attacking style of play.

He's lively and backs himself to get assists, as well as weighing in with the odd goal or two. 


With it being an international weekend, you can WATCH this game via our iFollow streaming service.

Click HERE to purchase a video match pass. 

With match commentary provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through the season.

Match audio passes are available for ALL EFL league games - click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.


It was a tight encounter at Brunton Park back in March 2016 with Carlisle twice being pegged back before Jason Kennedy popped what proved to be the winner into the net late in the game. Jack Stacey and Charlie Wyke had already scored for the Blues, with Billy Bodin and Matty Taylor finding the nets for the visitors.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The Pirates took the honours at the Memorial Stadium in November 2015 with a brace from Matty Taylor.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Referee - Charles Breakspear
Assistant Referee 1 - Stephen Brown
Assistant Referee 2 - Michael Begley
Fourth Official - Andrew Laver
Observer - Rodger Gifford

BreakspearOur referee for this fixture is Mr Charles Breakspear. Charles has taken charge of 11 games so far this season showing 44 yeallow cards and two reds.

He was last in charge for one of our games when we went to the Beey in February 2020. Goals from Lewis Alessandra and Nick Anderton helped us to secure a 2-1 away win, but there were bookings for Byron Webster, Olufela Olomola, Harry McKirdy, Taylor Charters and Aaron Hayden along the way.

Vale Park in January 2019. Rick Miller was sent off just before half time for the home side, and United made sure the advantage counted as Connor Simpson bagged a late winner. Hallam Hope and Tom Parkes were booked for the Blues. 

Before that he was our referee in January 2018 when we travelled to Stevenage for what turned out to be a closely fought affair. No goals were scored on the day, and Richie Bennett had his name taken for a rash challenge late in the game.

He was also our man in the middle for the Colchester away game in October 2017, earlier that same season. A Jamie Devitt goal just after half time was enough to seal the three points for the Blues. Danny Grainger and James Brown went in the book that afternoon.


We have been allocated an initial 150 seated and 150 terrace tickets.

Tickets are available on match day at the same price from the away booth at the bottom of the car park next to the away turnstiles.



Wednesday 6 October

10am – 5pm

Thursday 7 October

10am – 4pm








Senior 65+












Disabled info: Wheelchair users pay the relevant concession, with the carer free of charge.


Methods of purchase:

In person – come to the main ticket office in the Pioneer Stand at the designated time. Ticket sales on home match days will be from the West Stand ticket office. 
Phone – ring the ticket office on 0330 094 5930 at the designated times and pay with a credit / debit card.
Internet – click HERE and follow the online instructions. 

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Rovers 3 - 0 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

9 October 2021

United made the long trip to the Memorial Stadium looking to bounce back from a disappointing home defeat last weekend which had seen them create chances only to be put to the sword by table toppers Forest Green.

Lukas Jensen was in for his first league start, with Magnus Norman sidelined through injury following the Saturday home fixture.

Also missing with niggles were Rod McDonald, Kelvin Mellor and Joe Riley, with Danny Devine drafted in at right back and Zach Clough recalled into the forward positions alongside Lewis Alessandra and Brennan Dickenson.

Jordan Gibson was back into the match day 18 having got rid of an illness, and the defensive reshuffle included a return to the heart of the back line for Corey Whelan at the expense of Jonathan Dinzeyi.

The Gas had the first attack of the day when Evans picked up a misplaced pass in midfield. He spread it to Anderson, who dropped a shoulder before dinking a cross to the back stick. Saunders challenged but Devine did well to get in the way.

A corner for the hosts on five minutes saw Brown trot over to deliver. It was low, and Clough cleared on the spin to release Dickenson. His early crossfield pass was latched onto by Alessandra, who had raced into the area. Devine helped, but his cross was cut out.

Space opened up for Evans unexpectedly when a long kick came his way, but he slipped as he was urged to shoot by the crowd. It skewed off his boot and curled well wide.

A foul by Feeney on Saunders over by the corner flag earned him a yellow card, and Evans sent the dead ball in at head height to the six-yard box. Taylor got a head to it but it went high and over the bar.

Harries was next to go in the book when he got hold of Young's shirt as the forward upped a gear, and that gave Clough the chance to test the resolve. He sent it long and Hoole got there ahead of Feeney.

A Devine clip on Brown as he went on a break brought another floruish of the yellow from referee Charles Breakspear, and Evans opted for power from what was a tight angle. Guy followed the sweep of the ball to guide it away.

Chances were hard to come by and Clough had a shot from distance charged down as he bent a run to try to make a gap.

The away side had a great opportunity to open their account when Alessandra controlled well from a fizzed pass from deep. The ball broke to Clough, but his fierce drive was quickly blocked. Dickenson was onto it but his snapshot was parried by the hands of the alert James Belshaw.

But it was Rovers who took the lead when an incisive move caught the black shirts flat-footed. Three passes from back to front released Evans and he jinked past Devine before thundering an unstoppable shot into the bottom corner.

Dickenson beat the offside trap as United looked to respond but his cut back went behind Young, and Anderton was able to clear.

Carlisle had a real chance to level things up on 48 minutes when a huge kick forward from Jensen was flicked on by Dickenson. Belshaw was off his line, and Clough went for the lob when he got there first. The keeper threw his hands up to make the save.

It was a good spell from the visitors as Mellish and Alessandra tried to pick a way through, and they came again when a half clearance from an Armer cross ricocheted to Guy. He fed it to Dickenson, and a whisked pass across the face of the target had Clough and Devine interested. They couldn't get the touch and Coutts intervened.

Dickenson then beat his man on the left flank before whipping one in, but yet again it was a boot from the Pirates that got there first.

Feeney headed over from a Clough corner just past the hour, but he was at a tight angle and it was always going to be difficult.

Another Clough corner went begging when it skimmed off Dickenson, as he leaped high to try to make it count inside the danger area.

The corners kept coming and Clough bent another into the ruck after a Guy pass had been diverted away. The clearance came to Guy, but his 25-yarder was straight at Belshaw.

Carlisle looked to show attacking intent and excellent skill from Gibson saw him lose his man on the halfway line but he was twice prevented from shooting as he reached the edge of the area.

Having enjoyed the bulk of the second half possession the Cumbrians were undone for a second time with four minutes left to play when substitute Luke Thomas turned a scrappy piece of tackling into a decisive run. He reached the byline, pulled it back, and fellow replacement Sam Nicholson was there to stroke the weighted pass into the back of the nets.

Abrahams nodded just past the upright when he got on the end of a Clough free kick as the clock ticked down, and Gibson swirled one past the post from distance.

And it got worse for United in time added on when Saunders suddenly found himself with just Jensen to beat. He kept his cool and smashed it into the roof of the net.



Bristol Rovers - Evans (35), Nicholson (87), Saunders (90+5)



Bristol Rovers - Harries (23), Saunders (76), Thomas (88), Whelan (90)

Carlisle United - Feeney (16), Devine (26), Alessandra (38), Armer (60), Guy (61), Mellish (74)



Bristol Rovers - Belshaw, Collins (Nicholson 78), Coutts (c), Taylor, Anderson (Thomas 68), Evans, Saunders, Harries, Whelan, Hoole, Brown (Anderton 37). Subs - Ward (gk), Westbrooke, Martinez, Pitman.

Carlisle United - Jensen, Devine, Feeney, Whelan, Armer (Charters 72), Dickenson, Guy (c), Mellish, Alessandra (Gibson 53), Young (Abrahams 63), Clough. Subs - Breeze (gk), Dinzeyi, Mampala, Toure.


Match officials

Referee - Charles Breakspear
Assistant Referee 1 - Stephen Brown
Assistant Referee 2 - Michael Begley
Fourth Official - Andrew Laver
Observer - Rodger Gifford


Attendance - 6,302 (292)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account