Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
15 January 2022 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW: We welcome Crawley on Saturday

Taking a look at this weekend's opponents

13 January 2022

United host the Red Devils on Saturday as the home games come at us thick and fast.


Prior to the 2-1 home win for Crawley in September, you had to go back to September 2012 to find the last time the Red Devils beat Carlisle - that was a 2-0 reverse up here at Brunton Park.

Some 15 meetings between the sides came and went between those two dates, with United having won nine and drawn six of the other encounters.

Joel Lynch committed his immediate future to Crawley last week when he penned an 18-month deal, having netted twice in nine appearances since joining in September 2021.

Tom Dallison left to join Colchester for an undisclosed fee, having spent three years at the Broadfield Stadium, and the capture of stopper Taylor Seymour until the end of the season completed a busy week of January activity for John Yems.


  Carlisle wins Draws Crawley wins
League 10 6 3
Total 10 6 3

The Red Devils had a tough start to the campaign with just a 2-1 home win against Salford in August to brighten an otherwise rocky spell.

But recent form is much better, and they have three wins and a draw from their last four league games, a run which has taken them into the middle reaches of the division.

Nine wins, four draws and nine defeats make up their league season so far, and 27 'goals for' suggests that they know how to find the back of the net.

who watch

We've gone for Ash Nadesan, who was a favourite with United fans through two separate loan spells that covered the whole of 2018 (he netted 13 goals in 43 appearances overall).

He became a real handful, and he kicked off this year in fine form with a brace in the 3-1 home win over Colchester.

Fast and strong, he'll be on the shoulders of the defenders as he looks to make things happen, and he can chip in with goals or assists. He has three of each so far in this campaign.


Click HERE to purchase an audio match pass which will allow you to listen to this game via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through the season.

Match audio passes are available for ALL EFL league games - click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.


United were in Crawley in September 2021 and the hosts took a lead into the break thanks to Tom Nichols. Jon Mellish equalised with just seven minutes to go, but Nick Tsaroulla netted a last-ditch winner with seconds left on the clock.

You can watch the highlights from that game here:

March 2021 brought Crawley to Brunton Park once again and they were put to the sword by goals from Joe Riley and Omari Patrick.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

United's trip to Crawley in November 2020 proved to be productive as a goal just before the break from Rhys Bennett provided a springboard. Josh Kayode and Aaron Hayden made it 3-0, and a bad day became worse for the Red Devils when David Sesay received late marching orders.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

These sides came together down in Crawley just before the lockdown, in February 2020. It was a tight, tense 0-0 draw, with both teams missing chances to snatch it.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Priot to that the Red Devils headed to Brunton Park for the opening game of the 2019/20 season. Harry McKirdy opened the scoring with just six minutes on the clock, but the Reds were back on terms just 10 minutes later when Beryly Lubala pounced. The lead was restored just before half time by Stefan Scougall, and that's how it stayed with the hosts holding on to take the three points. A feisty encounter saw Luke Young sent off in time added on.

Watch the highlights from that game here: 

Carlisle United 4 – 2 Crawley Town, 27 April 2019

Crawley Town 2 – 3 Carlisle United, 22 December 2018

Carlisle United 2 – 2 Crawley Town, 17 March 2018

Crawley Town 0 – 1 Carlisle United, 30 September 2017


Referee - Darren Bond
Assistant Referee 1 - Andrew Dallison
Assistant Referee 2 - Geoffrey Liddle
Fourth Official - Darren Handley
Observer - Simon Snartt

Our referee for this fixture is Mr Darren Bond. He has taken charge of two games so far this season showing 10 yellow cards and no reds.

It's been just under four-and-a-half years since we last met up with Darren, and that was for a Carabao Cup first-round meeting with Sunderland here at Brunton Park. Donald Love gave the Mackems the lead in the first half, but Danny Grainger restored parity bang on the hour mark. Lyndon Gooch won it for the away side late in the day, and there were no Carlisle United names taken in a game that saw four bookings in total.


Don't forget that ticket prices increase by £3 on a match day.

Click HERE for full home match ticket details, including prices and purchase options.

Click HERE to purchase your match tickets online.

Alternatively, you can purchase your tickets in-person here at our main ticket office during office hours (Pioneer Stand), online by clicking HERE, or over the phone by ringing 0330 094 5930 (option 1).

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 1 Crawley

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

15 January 2022

United were back at Brunton Park for a second weekend on the trot as they welcomed Crawley Town to Cumbria.

The Blues were looking to register their fourth consecutive league victory, with the previous three wins having been earned with clean sheets.

Keith Millen stuck with the starting 11 he'd used against Bradford last weekend, and that meant that Tyrese Omotoye made his second start.

Lewis Alessandra was a welcome return from injury, and he took a place on the bench.

Crawley sparked an attack from the kick off with a ball over the top that Nadesan kept in, tight by the left hand touchline. His low cross was touched on by Tsaroulla and Whelan hooked it clear. 

United responded with a decent move of their own when Dickenson put Armer on the overlap. His cross was challenged for by Gibson and Mellish but Lynch got a vital touch.

The Blues almost split the defence when Dickenson cut inside moments later. Omotoye dummied as it came his way and Armer, who had sprinted from deep, looked to control. It spun off his toe and Morris gobbled it up.

The Red Devils hit the woodwork on nine minutes when a training ground corner routine somehow made its way to Tilley. Francomb had completely sliced the initial 20-yarder, but that allowed Tsaroulla to bring the midfielder into play. A fierce effort from distance curled onto the post and the rebound was swept away to safety.

Another patient home build-up saw Gibson combine with Guy to feed Dickenson. He won a corner, and he cleverly sat deep to sprint from the halfway line when Guy rolled it out. The shot had power but it was always high.

Both teams tested and probed, but there was a scrappy period where passes went astray and touches were heavy.

But Crawley were gifted a goal on 25 minutes when Feeney miscontrolled on the edge of the area, with the ball stuck under his feet. Nadesan was on it in a flash and he left Howard with no chance as he smashed it into the bottom corner.

United looked to bite back and Dickenson robbed possession in his own half to set another attack in motion. Gibson received it, and he spun on the spot to find Mellish. Dickenson arrived on the edge of the box but he was under pressure and he dragged his snapshot wide.

Midfielder Jon Mellish looked to take matters into his own hands when he ran 40-yards with the ball at his feet along the left flank. He angled past the defender and let fly, but a block kept the keeper untroubled.

A superb save from Howard stopped Nadesan from doubling his tally when he got on the end of a cut back from Nichols. The first-time volley was heading for the top corner until a fingertip touch sent it onto the upright.

Nadesan then headed the ball a foot over the bar and into the Warwick from a Tilley cross from 10-yards out, in what was a good spell for the away team, but the Cumbrians had a half chance when Omotoye beat the offside trap to latch onto a ball over the top.

Morris was off his line, but the striker hesitated, and it was the red shirts who took the advantage into the dressing rooms.

A thunderbolt from Brennan Dickenson at the start of the second half brought a roar from the crowd. He took a touch, 28-yards from the target, and put his laces through a screamer of an attempt. Morris was beaten and relieved to see it strike the top of the crossbar.

Omotoye then showed good control when he backheeled a raking pass from McDonald into space. He beat his man and dinked a delivery, but Morris jumped to gather.

Matthews drilled a toe poke from a tight angle into the side netting when he went on an overlap, and the visitors won a corner as they stayed up in numbers. Matthews got on the end of it, but he swiped it over the target from close range.

Omari Patrick's introduction almost produced an immediate return when he took a high ball on his chest before turning his man. He stumbled, and that gave Craig the time he needed to mop things up.

Dickenson brought another save out of Morris on the hour when he sat deep to take over from Patrick. It was low, and arrowed, but the stopper parried and the rebound skipped just past Gibson, who was looking to snaffle up the loose pieces.

Tenacity from Tilley earned Crawley a corner as the game remained tight, but it came to nothing as the blue shirts regrouped.

A free kick from Guy bounced around inside the box, with Dickenson twice thwarted when shooting, and a cross from Patrick brought a frantic scramble when Omotoye trapped it with his back to the target. He went down, under pressure from three defenders, but the appeals for a penalty were ignored.

There was potential disaster on 73 minutes when a powerful shot from Tilley was parried by Howard. He hesitated as he expected Armer to clear, and Tilley skipped in to try to nick it. An outstretched leg from the left back caught the heel, sending him to the ground, and a spot kick was awarded.

Nadesan placed it, and he was left with his head in his hands as he crunched it high and wide.

Gibson split the defence to put Patrick into the area with just under 10 minutes left to go and a delivery with the outside of the boot took a red shirt by surprise. It ricocheted off a chest but straight into the hands of the keeper.

Abrahams and Alessandra came on late in the day as the hosts looked to take something, and it looked like it had paid off when Alessandra timed a great run to meet a flicked through ball from Dickenson. He chested it down and had just Morris to beat, but the keeper spread himself to make a vital block at close range.

Dickenson had another piledriver deflected in the second minute of time added, and Alessandra made immediate amends for his miss when he glanced his header from the resulting corner past the keeper to level the scores.

Mellor had to shadow a break from Grego-Cox with seconds left on the clock, and he closed the door well to help to make sure his side earned a point.



Carlisle United - Alessandra (90)

Crawley Town - Nadesan (25)



Carlisle United - Whelan (42), Omotoye (45)

Crawley Town - Nichols (41), Payne (68)



Carlisle United - Howard, Mellor, McDonald, Feeney, Armer (Alessandra 85), Gibson, Guy (c), Whelan (Patrick 56), Dickenson, Mellish, Omotoye (Abrahams 85). Subs - Norman (gk), Devine, Riley, Senior.

Crawley Town - Morris, Francomb (c), Craig, Powell, Nichols (Grego-Cox 72), Nadesan, Tilley, Matthews (Watts 63; (Davies 81)), Tsaroulla, Payne, Lynch. Subs - Seymour (gk), Frost, Marshall. 


Match officials

Referee - Darren Bond
Assistant Referee 1 - Andrew Dallison
Assistant Referee 2 - Geoffrey Liddle
Fourth Official - Darren Handley
Observer - Simon Snartt


Attendance - 4,350 (76)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account