Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

26 September 2020 Venue Sands Venue Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Glanford Park to round off the month

Another tough away fixture for the Blues

24 September 2020

The Iron were denied the opportunity to host a Covid-19 test event, where up to one thousand fans would have been allowed into Glanford Park, due to a spike in local cases and a worsening of the national situation, so it was back to behind closed doors football for United, who had made a little bit of history last weekend by becoming the first EFL club to have supporters in the ground post lockdown for a league encounter.

New boss Neil Cox joined the Iron at the beginning of August and he made himself busy in the transfer market in readiness for the new campaign.

Centre back Tyler Cordner was recruited on-loan from Bournemouth, and striker Myles Hippolyte joined for an undisclosed fee from Yeovil - on a two-year deal - just a few days later.

Former Leicester striker Ryan Loft, well known to United fans, was next to make his way to Glanford Park and the free agent was another who secured a two-year deal.

Completing the recent flurry was German forward Kenan Dunwald-Turan who, having once spent time with Bristol Rovers, was most recently with Bonner in Germany's fourth tier.


Scunthorpe fell at the first EFL Cup hurdle earlier this month when they exited the competition following a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of fellow League Two club Port Vale. 

They were at Sincil Bank for their first EFL Trophy group game three days later and they battled out a tough 1-1 draw, only to lose out in the penalty shoot-out.

Their first home league game brought a first league goal for Ryan Loft, and it was a much-needed second half point earning equaliser after Newport had taken a deserved lead midway through the first half.

Last weekend saw them make the mammoth journey to Crawley, and it'll have felt like an even longer journey home as the Red Devils scored early in the piece, and then succesfully saw it through to the end with that slender one-goal advantage.

The point from their home draw with the Exiles sees them occupy the division's 18th spot, and they'll be looking to kick on quickly as, along with every other team in the league, they search for consistency and points in a bid to get themselves going.


There can be only one - striker Ryan Loft.

A likeable character through his season-long loan spell with the Cumbrians last term he scored six goals in his 35 appearances, including the one detailed below against his current employers.

He's already notched twice in his three games for the Iron this season, having signed for his new club as pre-season was drawing to a close.

Tall, strong and direct, we saw first-hand that he can be a real handful for defenders.

Other familiar faces include Olufela Olomola, who was with the Blues last season, and midfielder Alex Gilliead who bagged five goals in 41 appearances on-loan from Newcastle back in 2015. 


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through these unprecedented behind closed doors fixtures.

Match passes are available for ALL EFL league games during this restricted attendance period. Click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.


The last time these teams met was in August 2019 and it was one of Scunthorpe's summer signings who proved to be the difference - a certain Mr Ryan Loft. he was on-loan from Leicester at the time and he struck bang on the hour mark to make sure the points went back to Cumbria.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Referee - Peter Wright
Assistant Referee 1 - David Hunt
Assistant Referee 2 - Joe Simpson
Fourth Official - Anthony Moore

Peter WrightOur official for this fixture is Mr Peter Wright

Mr Wright has taken charge of two games so far this season and has shown five yellow cards.

We last saw Peter just before the lockdown when we hosted Morecambe at Brunton Park. Cole Stockton and Aaron Wildig gave the visitors a two-goal lead, Omari Patrick struck back in time added on for the first half to get the Blues back into the game. Aaron Hayden completed the comeback midway through the second period. There were four yellows on the day, with Byron Webster, Elliot Watt and Nick Anderton going in the book for the hosts.

Prior to that we met up with him back in August 2019 when he was the man in the middle for our Carabao Cup game against Rochdale. Goals from Morley and Done in the first half left the Blues with a big job, but we lost 2-1 despite a decent spot kick finish from Jack Bridge. There were no Carlisle names taken on the night.

He made the step up from the national league for the 2018/19 season and we met him for the first time when he officiated our 1-0 away victory over Cheltenham in August 2018. Richie Bennett bagged the only goal of the game, just before the break, and Anthony Gerrard and Kelvin Etuhu had their names taken on the day.

His first visit to Brunton Park was for our 3-2 home defeat against MK Dons in March 2019. Stefan Scougall and Hallam Hope scored for the Blues and there were no Carlisle players booked that afternoon.


This is a behind closed doors fixture. 

Please see above for details on how to purchase a live streaming match pass to see all of the action via our iFollow streaming service.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Scunthorpe 1 - 0 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

26 September 2020

United were looking for back-to-back victories as they went to Glanford Park for their second league away game of the new season.

But it turned into a disappointing afternoon as they missed chances to put the points to bed only to be undone by a crunching drive from Jordan Hallam just past the half hour.

Manager Chris Beech was without Omari Patrick and Gime Toure, who had both picked up knocks, so that meant a return to the starting fold for Lewis Alessandra and a first start for the club following his loan move from Preston for Ethan Walker.

It was nip and tuck through the early exchanges with Carlisle enjoying a large amount of the possession. But the first moment of real pressure came when Hippolyte took charge of a 24-yard free kick.

It was bent towards the back post, but Mellish was there to shepherd it away. A poor corner was recovered quickly and Farman had to jump high to claim it before Loft could connect with his head.

The Iron sparked a scramble on 13 minutes when a long throw pinged around inside the box. It eventually came to Spence, on the edge of the area, but he was quickly closed down by McDonald and the shot whistled over the bar via the defender's thigh.

Carlisle thought they'd taken the lead on 17 minutes when Mellish executed a strong tackle tight by the right hand touchline. It was fed quickly inside to Kayode and it opened up for him as a defender lost his footing. The big forward kept his composure and awareness as he slid it across to the unmarked Ethan Walker, who was advancing on the penalty spot. The away side were set to celebrate until Watson somehow pulled off an unbelievable one-handed save.

The Scunthorpe response was a break through the middle which brought Gilliead into an advanced position. He went for broke from distance and his shot bent harmlessly away.

Another good visiting move came when Alessandra pulled wide to take a pass from McDonald. He brought Guy into play, and Kayode gambled on a near post cross. He got there but his touch was too close to Watson.

A long throw from Alessandra followed and the slightest of clips from Kayode caused real confusion. Walker was deep, and his first cushioned touch set up the volley, but Watson was there sharply once again to make a save.

It was all about Carlisle and a free kick from Tanner brought half sights of the nets for Hayden and Kayode. There was a shout for handball as a deflection struck Cordner, but the referee was quick to show he had no interest.

For all of their domination the orange shirts were almost undone when O'Malley went on the overlap. He fizzed an inch perfect cross across the face of goal but Loft somehow sent his close range touch the wrong side of the post as he came under strong and good pressure from McDonald.

It was a short-lived reprieve as Mellish misplaced a pass in midfield. Gilliead fed it on to Jordan Hallam and he thundered a low drive into the bottom corner, leaving Farman with no chance.

Striker Ryan Loft looked to extend the lead just before the break when he charged down a clearance from Hayden. He went for a curled effort from the angle of the box but it was always heading wide.

A dipping corner from Guy in time added on for the half was won by Hayden, and all Watson could do was beat it away as it threatened to cross the line. Carlisle shirts were lined up but the referee alleviated the pressure as he blew his whistle.

The second half started in much the same way as the first, with both sides probing and looking to cross, but it stayed tight with defences on top.

A bender from Gilliead had to be watched by Tanner though, as it bent deep. He put it behind and Bedeau was disappointed with his header from the resulting corner as he nodded it to towards the corner flag.

It was another fantastic save from Watson which denied Mellish an equaliser when he guided a great cross from Walker at the top corner. The stopper threw himself high and spectacularly clawed the goal bound headed effort away from the nets.

The Cumbrians almost picked the lock when a flighted pass from Furman found Walker on the sprint. He volleyed it over Watson and he was disappointed to see it loop onto the roof of the net.

Farman had to be off his line smartly at the other end to intercept a through ball from Loft, as Spence bore down, and the keeper was in action moments later when he stooped to stop Spence from making a delivery.

Carlisle maintained the tempo and more good work between Alessandra and Walker saw the latter go past his man with a deft touch off his toe. Watson was well placed to gather it in as it came from wide when it skipped up from the surface.

There was more chaos in the Iron area when a Guy corner was kept alive, but a clear route couldn't be found and the back line stayed strong.

A winding run from Kayode brought another corner as his attempt spun off a boot and wide of the mark. 

Teenager Ethan Walker thought he'd done the trick with 10 minutes left to play when he dropped a shoulder to leave his man in his wake. He pulled the trigger and the Carlisle contingent were left with their heads in their hands as it crept a whisker wide of the upright.

Hallam spurned a late chance to seal the points when he blazed over, having been sent through by another slide rule pass, and Alessandra was denied at the other end when he stayed on his own at the far post.

A header from Hayden was going in but Watson stayed big to beat it away. The vice-captain drilled a late shot from distance into the stands as the Cumbrians continued to push, but Farman had work to do as he tipped a 24-yard free kick over the bar in time added on.

United looked to get the ball back, but the Iron held out to take the three points.



Scunthorpe United - Hallam (36)



Scunthorpe United - Spence (73), Beestin (85)



Scunthorpe United - Watson, Bedeau, Gilliead (c), Loft, Hippolyte, Hallam, Spence, Vincent (Beestin 78), Cordner, Hornshaw (Butroid 88), O'Malley (Onariase 75). Subs - Kelsey (gk), Eisa, Green, Jarvis.

Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner (Hunt 85), Hayden, McDonald, Anderton (c), Furman (Reilly 71), Guy (Devine 77), Mellish, Walker, Kayode, Alessandra. Subs - Dewhurst (gk), Riley, Charters, Bell.


Match officials

Referee - Peter Wright
Assistant Referee 1 - David Hunt
Assistant Referee 2 - Joe Simpson
Fourth Official - Anthony Moore


Attendance - behind closed doors

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account