Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
19 September 2020 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Home campaign kicks off against Southend

United host the Shrimpers

18 September 2020

It’s just over six years since Southend were last at Brunton Park when a 1-1 draw was one of their first steps towards promotion during that 2014/15 season.


Fans who were at that game will remember that it was a 90 minutes full of chances – with a particularly interesting five-minute period just before half time.

Antony Sweeney struck with a stunning header to give the Blues a lead to take into the break, or so it seemed, until Conor Clifford pounced deep into time added on for the half to completely change the complexion of the team talk for both managers. His shot, from distance, somehow made it all the way through and into the back of the net.

Watch the highlights from that game here: 

A relatively small number of meetings over the years [35 in all competitions] has seen it edge the way of the Cumbrians, with 14 victories compared to 11 for the other Blues.


Carlisle wins


Southend wins





FA Cup









Relegated last season, with just four wins from 35 matches, it goes without saying that the Shrimpers will be looking to rectify the situation this time round.

Former Weymouth boss Mark Molesley was installed as manager early in August, having taken his previous club to the National League off the back of two promotions in two seasons.

Off-field troubles saw the club face an HMRC winding up petition in January, but this was dismissed when it was revealed at the hearing that all debts had been paid. Another petition has been raised, but it’s hoped that a move away from Roots Hall will keep the tax office at bay this time round.

On the transfer front defender Shaun Hobson came in from Bournemouth last week for an undisclosed fee, and Barnsley winger Jordan Green also signed the dotted line on a half-season loan deal.

The first game of the season was a trip to the Priestfield where hosts Gillingham scored the only goal of the game to dump Southend out of the Carabao Cup, and that was followed up by an EFL Trophy group game against West Ham United’s under-21 side, where the young Hammers worked hard to claim a 3-1 victory.

Sky Bet League Two kicked off at Roots Hall with the visit of newly promoted Harrogate Town, and it turned into a tough afternoon for the Shrimpers as they were beaten 4-0, courtesy of two goals either side of the break.

who to watch

Teenager Charlie Kelman burst onto the scene with the Shrimpers when he netted a ‘Goal of the Month’ winning strike on his league debut against Plymouth in January 2019.

Having progressed through the youth ranks at Roots Hall, he earned a professional deal off the back of 61 goals at under-18 level during the 2017/18 campaign.

Seven senior goals last season saw his reputation grow further, and he’ll be looking to kick on again this time round.


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through this unprecedented behind closed doors period / restricted capacity period.

Click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.

Click HERE for our handy iFollow 'How To' guide.


Watch the highlights from our last trip to Roots Hall, a Southend 2 – 0 United victory on 28 February 2015, here: 


Referee - Graham Salisbury
Assistant Referee 1 - Mark Cunliffe
Assistant Referee 2 - Graeme Fyvie
Fourth Official - Andrew Miller

The referee for this game is the very experienced Mr Graham Salisbury. He has taken charge of two games so far this season, showing three yellow cards.

Graham was our match official for the last game before lockdown in March 2020 - our 2-0 home victory over Newport County. Omari Patrick and Josh Kayode scored our goals, and Aaron Hayden and Nick Anderton went in the book. County had defender Ryan Inniss sent off just before the break.

Prior to that we last had him as the man in charge for the visit of Swindon Town in February 2020. Edmonds-Green put the Robins ahead, but Aaron Hayden pounced with the equaliser just after the hour mark. There were no names taken on the day.

He was also the referee for the November 2019 Trophy group game at Morecambe. Jarrad Branthwaite scored for United, but goals from Tutte, Wildig and Conlan kept the points at the Globe Arena. 

Prior to that he was the man with the whistle for our long trip to Forest Green in March 2019. Nathan Thomas bagged our goal in a 1-1 draw and Tom Parkes was the only name to be taken on the night. 

Back to 2018 and he was in charge for the 4-0 away victory at Swindon, just before Christmas. Ashley Nadesan, Regan Slater (2) and Jamie Devitt scored our goals and there were no United names taken on the day.

The first time we saw him in the 2018/19 season was on the opening day when we made the long trip south to face Exeter City. Nicky Law and Jonathan Forte put the Grecians two goals to the good with less than 30 minutes played, but Richie Bennett gave the Blues hope when he struck back just before the break. United battled away, but a late sucker punch from Tristan Abrahams kept the points in Exeter. Jamie Devitt was the only name taken on the day.

A regular referee of our games over the years [including the Wembley final against Southampton in 2010] still one of his busiest evenings with us was for the Checkatrade Trophy group game at Fleetwood in August 2017. A total of 10 cards were shown - including a red for Harvey Rodgers - with Danny Grainger, Mark Ellis, Jamie Devitt, Gary Liddle, Tom Miller and Hallam Hope going in the book for the Blues.


This is an official Covid-19 test event.

1,000 supporters will be in attendance at this fixture. 

Click HERE for full match ticket details - prioritised for our 2020/21 Season Ticket holders only.

Please see above for details on how to purchase a live streaming match pass to see all of the action on our iFollow streaming service.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 2 - 0 Southend

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

19 September 2020

United hosted Southend United in their first home league fixture of 2020/21 and it saw the welcome return of 1,000 season ticket holders with the club being chosen, along with six others across the EFL divisions, to stage Covid-19 test events.

An opening day defeat against Harrogate had left the Shrimpers licking their wounds, and Carlisle also had a point to prove following their frustrating result at Cambridge.

United boss Chris Beech made one change from the previous week, with midfielder Dean Furman stepping in for Lewis Alessandra.

Southend kicked off, attacking towards the Warwick, with experienced campaigner Alan McCormack added to their ranks just 24-hours before the game. 

The Blues fashioned a good attack when Patrick robbed possession midway inside the opposition half. Toure took over, and he pulled the ball inside as he reached the edge of the box. Ralph got a boot in the way and Oxley was able to scoop it up.

A low driven free kick from the right flank was the response from the Shrimpers but Anderton stood tall to divert it behind. 

United almost found a way through when McDonald turned the defence with a magnificent crossfield pass. Tanner took a touch and his cut back was blocked at source. Kayode sent a long throw into the mix but the yellow shirts did just about enough to clear the danger.

Hustling from Mellish had Hobson retreating and Patrick pounced to execute a snapshot. It hit Ralph and the moment was gone.

Carlisle stayed forward and Mellish took control of the ball in acres of space. Kayode and Patrick combined, but the delivery was too close to the stopper and he dropped smartly to make his claim.

The Kayode long throw was a useful tool and it had defenders scrambling once again midway through the half. But a kicked clearance from Oxley had the hosts turned and Kelman looked up to spot Hutchinson in support. McDonald did well to put his body in the way.

Southend caused themselves problems of their own making when an underhit backpass from Hobson had Oxley wrongfooted. Kayode was on the chase but the stopper got just enough on it to prevent a clear run at the target.

Carisle were an excellent save away from taking the lead just past the half hour when Kayode launched another throw at the penalty spot. Aaron Hayden did everything right, but Oxley dived high and long to get his hands to it.

A trip on Guy 24-yards out brought United's next opportunity, but the free kick was thwarted by Kelman as he ran out of the wall to get in the way.

Tails were suddenly up and the deftest of touches from Mellish on the halfway line put Guy into space. Patrick immediately sent a beauty of a grasscutter across the face of goal, and Toure had the presence of mind to pull wide to stop it from drifting out. He dropped a shoulder and forced a corner with a bullet of a shot.

Callum Guy took charge of that and it pinged around before eventually sitting up in front of Patrick. He was just outside the area, but he left Oxley with no chance as a deflected rasper skipped into the nets.

The shackles were off and the lead was doubled just three minutes later when a slick through ball from Toure, following a wonderful run from the big forward, sent Kayode on his way. He had people to beat, but he didn't let that bother him as he swept a crisp finish into the bottom corner.

United were reminded that there was still work to do on the stroke of half time when Egbri went for broke from distance. Farman parried it and Hayden ran across to get it away.

Carlisle picked up where they left off at the start of the second period with a corner, industriously won by Toure, which found Kayode on the jump at the back stick. It was a downward header but it was always heading towards the side netting.

A direct run from Goodship at the other end deserved better as he overlapped before angling his pass across the face of goal. McDonald got a vital first touch and Tanner did the rest.

The Cumbrians were denied a third when yet another long throw from Kayode was flicked by Hayden. Anderton had just Oxley to beat, but the keeper somehow got there to beat it away. The offside flag went up as United tried to make the loose pieces count.

Hayden popped a header wide as the Cumbrians continued to threaten from set pieces, and Toure sprinted after what appeared to be a lost cause as Hobson dallied inside his own box. Mellish called for it but his volley was wild.

More determination, this time from Anderton, saw him steal it off Bwomono before racing towards the target. He disguised his pass to Mellish and the midfielder was a whisker away as he clipped a first-time effort over the bar.

There was some very good football on display from the blue shirts as their combinations and passing movements came off, with Toure and Guy at the heart of much of the forward play. Supported by energy and neatness from Patrick and Kayode, it kept the heavily worked Southend back line busy.

Wide man Egbri didn't give up for the Shrimpers, but his attempts at picking the lock rarely found anything of purchase.

Substitute Lewis Alessandra brought the crowd to its feet with a thumping shot on the spin as the game settled into one of comfortable possession for the Blues. The keeper was rooted to the spot and mightily relieved to see it flash past the angle of post and bar.

There was real quality on show from Oxley between the uprights on 75 minutes when he twisted his body to pull off a fine one-handed save from a Hayden header. The ball was behind him when he got his palm to it and the big centre back had already turned away in readiness to start his celebrations.

Furman then sent one straight at Oxley, as he lost his footing at the optimum moment when he struck his shot, and Toure's last contribution was to have a header cleared off the line as he reacted first to a dipping inswinger.

A link up between Alessandra and Anderton took the skipper to the byline late in the afternoon, but his cut back was cut out as Reilly cut across to make it his.

And a perfect defence splitter from Furman had Reilly on the twist in time added on, but the Shrimpers gratefully cleared their lines as they accepted their fate.



Carlisle United - Patrick (36), Kayode (39)



Carlisle United - Anderton (16)



Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner, Hayden, McDonald, Anderton (c), Mellish (Alessandra 70), Furman, Guy, Toure (Reilly 84), Kayode, Patrick (Walker 74). Subs - Dewhurst (gk), Devine, Hunt, Riley.

Southend United - Oxley (c), Bwomono, Ralph, McCormack (Gard 60), Hobson, Green, Goodship (Kinali 81), Egbri, Hutchinson, Taylor, Kelman (Clifford 71). Subs - Seaden (gk), Phillips, Rush. 


Match officials

Referee - Graham Salisbury
Assistant Referee 1 - Mark Cunliffe
Assistant Referee 2 - Graeme Fyvie
Fourth Official - Andrew Miller


Attendance - 1,000

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account