Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

20 October 2020 Venue Boundary Park Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: A second trip to Boundary Park

United face the Latics on Tuesday

20 October 2020

United are back at Boundary Park for a second time already this season having been there just over a month ago for an EFL Cup first-round fixture.


The Latics bagged progression to the next round in that encounter courtesy of first half goals from Ben Garrity and Bobby Grant, with Conor McAleny sealing the deal with a late strike.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The six meetings between the teams prior to that had brought United five wins and a draw.

Boxing Day 2018 provided a memorable clash as the Cumbrians slogged their way through a tight first half, with goals from Hallam Hope and Jerry Yates providing them with a cushion that was more comfortable than the end-to-end nature of the action suggested it should be.

But then came the second half. Ashley Nadesan, Yates again, and Danny Grainger took advantage of a suddenly hesitant visiting defence to put the points beyond doubt, and Gary Liddle added real six-appeal as he rounded off an excellent day’s work with a rare goal in added time.

Another stunner of a meeting was the EFL Trophy encounter at Boundary Park in August 2016. The journalists covering the game were just as exhausted as the players who took part as a match that had absolutely everything unfolded before them.

Just 16 minutes in and Oldham’s Billy McKay opened the floodgates, only for Michael Raynes to equalise from a set piece in the very next attack. Reggie Lambe edged Carlisle in front four minutes later, and an unfortunate own goal from Cameron Burgess on the half hour gave United a 3-1 lead to take into the break.

The Latics kicked off the second period, and two goals in two mad minutes from Darius Osei had the score back at level pegging.

Oliver Banks celebrated wildly as he put the home side back in front with 25 minutes left to play, but Tom Miller and Charlie Wyke notched late to give Carlisle their win from what had been a rip-roaring encounter.

We should perhaps mention that Macaulay Gillesphey helped to make things even more interesting when he was sent off with 82 minutes on the clock.


Carlisle wins


Oldham wins





FA Cup








League Cup









The Latics picked up their first league victory in dramatic fashion on Saturday when Zak Dearnley came off the bench to grab the winner against Bolton in the 95th minute. 

It had been an entertaining affair as first half goals from Garrity and Delfouneso left the sides deadlocked until Dearnley took matters into his own hands with an incisive run and a net bulging finish.

The three points lifted Oldham away from bottom spot, and they'll be in a bouyant mood as they face us on Tuesday night.

Transfer activity started back in June for Oldham when Alex Iacovitti moved to Ross County on a free. A quiet spell followed, but rumours that Zak Mills was heading to Port Vale were eventually confirmed in the middle of July.

New faces started arriving in August, with Carl Piergianni making the short hop from Salford to join his new club. Cameron Borthwick-Jackson arrived from Manchester United the same day.

Bobby Grant was recruited from Wrexham a fortnight ago, and his team mate David Keillor-Dunn joined him just 24 hours later.

The influx of new blood continued as Conor McAleny left Fleetwood to become a Latic, with new manager Harry Kewell stating that he was looking to complete more business before the new campaign kicked off.

That has most definitely been the case with what has been another busy spell. 21-year-old midfielder Callum Whelan returned to the Manchester area when he joined on a two-year deal on his release from Watford 10 days ago, and the defensive ranks were bolstered with a double signing on the first day of this month.

Kyle Jameson left Fylde to head to Boundary Park and Jordan Barnett, who can also play in midfield, was most recently with Barnsley before he made his switch.

Ben Garrity came in on a season-long loan deal from parent club Blackpool, and that was followed by the arrival of Leeds youngster Alfie McCalmont on a season-long loan with a view to adding midfield options.

Italian left back Andrea Badan capped off a good trial spell with a two-year deal just after our last meeting, and their most recent acquisition was that of Congo international Dylan Bahamboula. The forward signed a one-year contract at the start of October.

who watch

Conor McAleny has exploded on the scene with his new club having notched six goals in his eight games so far. 

Also the designated penatly taker, he'll be looking to add to his tally on Tuesday night.


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through this unprecedented behind closed doors period.

Match passes are available for ALL EFL league games. Click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.


Oldham 1 – 1 United 18 Jan 2020

Carlisle 1 – 0 Oldham 28 Sep 2019 

Carlisle 6 – 0 Oldham 26 Dec 2018

Oldham 4 – 5 Carlisle 30 August 2016


Referee - Matthew Donohue
Assistant Referee 1 - Robert Merchant
Assistant Referee 2 - Steven Meredith
Fourth Official - James Wilson

Matt DonohueOur referee for this game is Mr Matthew Donohue.

He has been in charge of three games so far this season showing nine yellows and one red.

We saw him for our 0-0 away draw at Huish Park in May 2019. Mike Jones and Anthony Gerrard went in the book during that end of season fixture.

He came north for the first time when we hosted Tranmere back in September 2018. The goals came late, with Tom Parkes turning the ball into his own net with 10 minutes left to play, and the points were sealed when Mullin doubled the advantage just before the full time whistle. Parkes and Jamie Devitt had their names taken on the day. 

He was also at Brunton Park for our 1-1 draw with Exeter in February 2019. Jamie Devitt scored our late equaliser, and he went in the book, along with the Tom Parkes, in what was a very tight game.


This is a behind closed doors fixture. 

Please see above for details on how to purchase a live streaming match pass to see all of the action on iFollow.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics 1 - 1 United

Report from the Tuesday night away game

20 October 2020

United were back at Boundary Park for the second time this season, having faced the Latics in the Carabao Cup at the beginning of September.

And there was shock news ahead of kick off as Oldham boss Harry Kewell was diagnosed with Covid-19, leaving assistant manager Alan Maybury in charge of the team.

United boss Chris Beech went with an unchanged starting eleven from the home win over Colchester, with Jack Armer and Magnus Norman back on the bench.

Carlisle's recent excellent performances had seen them take their winning run to three in a row on Saturday, and Oldham were buoyant following their first league win at Bolton the same afternoon.

The first test for either defence came on two minutes when Tanner overlapped on the right wing. He sprinted forward and delivered an excellent cross, which Kayode jumped to meet. Lawlor had to take three spaces backwards before he tipped the dipping ball over the bar.

United were the width of the woodwork away from taking the lead three minutes later when strength in midfield from Mellish saw Kayode peel away. Alessandra helped out, and Toure arrived on the scene to stroke a firm effort at the target from just outside the box. The diving stopper was relieved to see it scrape off the top of his bar.

Carlisle came again when Kayode held the ball up on the edge of the area. Mellish was running from deep but the ball got stuck under his boot as he stretched to take the pass under his control with just Lawlor to navigate. That brought a stumble and the moment was gone.

A 25-yard free kick from Tanner earned the orange shirts a corner, and Guy's delivery brought a diving header from Toure. Barnett was positioned by the upright and he gratefully hooked it away before it crossed the line.

Farman had work to do at the other end when McCalmont found himself in unexpected space. He drilled it low but the keeper was comfortable as he gathered it up.

It was still Carlisle asking the main questions and a huge throw from Kayode was flicked on by Toure. Anderton was ready to pounce but the clearance was made.

Another outswinging set piece from Guy was met on the full by Mellish, but he couldn't keep his connection down as he came under pressure and it sailed over the bar.

Oldham were better on the quarter hour when they got down the flanks, with McAleny at the heart of it. His cross found Barnett, but the header hung high and Farman ran out to grasp it.

The Kayode long throws were a real threat and another flick from Mellish took the ball across the face of goal. Toure spun on it but his contact was skewed and his volley was dragged well wide.

It was head in the hands time for the away side again on 24 minutes when Tanner went on a run, unguarded, as he latched onto a second ball. His cross picked out Alessandra, and Lawlor was beaten as the volley skipped off the surface and wide of the post. It looked from the stand viewpoint that it was going in.

A 24-yard thumped free kick from Guy had Lawlor palming it away as it angled at his near post, but Anderton was on hand to crunch another superb delivery into the mix when he recovered it quickly. Toure and Kayode were there but they couldn't quite make it happen in their favour at the front stick.

Hearts were in the mouth at the United end when Barnett curled a free kick from wide at Grant. His header was weak, and Farman and Hayden converged to deal with the loose pieces.

There was a huge chance for Toure when Jameson went sprawling on the floor, leaving the marauding striker with a clear run through. With just the keeper to beat he appeared to have done everything right until his measured attempt smacked the outside of the post.

Oldham almost nicked the lead on the stroke of half time when Garrity quickly fed the ball forward to Dearnley. He took a touch and dropped a shoulder but his snapshot had bowler's off spin on it, and that took it away from the bottom corner.

It took just 20 seconds of the second half for Carlisle to show their intent as the ball was worked forward to Toure. He had his back to goal, but Lawlor was needed to make another diving save as a fierce shot arrowed at his nets.

The Latics responded with an attack in decent numbers but Hayden watched the cross closely, and he got across to head it away. Farman had to punch the inswinging corner off his line, and the defence closed ranks as a high ball was clipped towards the penalty spot.

That sparked a good spell of away pressure with Alessandra and Kayode pressing, and it was a shot from the latter which earned the visitors a corner as it deflected off a defender. Guy whipped the set piece in at shoulder height and Aaron Hayden notched his second goal of the season with a thundering accurate header.

Orange shirts continued to press after the advantage had been gained, giving Oldham no time to regroup, but a Barnett cross midway through the half had to be guided behind by Anderton as it bounced awkwardly. 

The corner was taken short and quickly, and it was Barnett again who find himself in space. He beat his man and sent it low, but McDonald stood tall to swipe it clear.

There was frustration for Garrity as a quality free kick from Barnett found a way through. The midfielder was just two yards out but it was a poor header and he sent it wide.

More quick thinking from Hayden saw him fizz a free kick to Reilly as Carlisle looked to reassert their authority, and the cross from the striker begged to be knocked in. Piergianni got there first, but the visitors came again as Alessandra controlled a deflected pass. His cruncher was parried and Mellish was flagged offside on the follow up.

An equaliser came against the run of play on 80 minutes when Danny Rowe squeezed a pass through to Dearnley. He steadied himself and picked his spot from just outside the area.

Gav Reilly was trying to make things happen and he ripped another delivery in from deep when he worked himself away from a challenge. It was just too far in front of Kayode and Lawlor took it into his chest.

A long ball forward was then flicked by Kayode, and that put Reilly beyond the back line. He was forced wide and a touch off McCalmont made it easy for the stopper.

More fantastic football followed as Alessandra and Kayode combined to bring Tanner into the equation. The right back rattled his cross into the six-yard box but Mellish just couldn't quite get there.

Hayden then went on a run from just inside the opposition half which took him into the box. His cross/shot was too close to the keeper.

There was danger at the other end when a Hamer run ended as he overstretched, but there was hesitation as the ball rolled towards the penalty spot. Hayden eventually put his boot on it.

Back at the other end and Reilly surged on, with two in support. The pass was picked up by Alessandra, but the Latics had regrouped.

Added time ticked away without further incident, and it was a frustrated Carlisle outfit who had to contemplate their missed chances as they left with just a point to show for another good performance.



Oldham Athletic - Dearnley (80)

Carlisle United - Hayden (54)



Oldham Athletic - Barnett (61)



Oldham Athletic - Lawlor, Piergianni (c), Garrity, Grant (Rowe 62), Jameson (Clarke 85), Ntambwe (Bahamboula 46), Barnett, McAleny, Dearnley, McCalmont, Hamer. Subs - Bilboe (gk), Jombati, Whelan, Keillorr-Dunn.

Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner, Hayden, McDonald, Anderton (c), Guy (Furman 74), Mellish, Riley (Malley 85), Alessandra, Toure (Reilly 71), Kayode. Subs - Norman (gk), Hunt, Charters, Armer.


Match officials

Referee - Matthew Donohue
Assistant Referee 1 - Robert Merchant
Assistant Referee 2 - Steven Meredith
Fourth Official - James Wilson


Attendance - behind closed doors

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account