Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

24 October 2020 Venue Blundell Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: The Blues head to Grimsby

United at Blundell Park at the weekend

21 October 2020

You don't need us to tell you that this was the "fixture that wasn't" last season.


The kit was packed and ready to be loaded on the team bus, the lads were heading in to work and ready for the journey, but the Covid-19 crisis was about to strike in earnest, with the EFL rightly making the decision to suspend all football fixtures that March weekend.

But that was then, and this is now, and Grimsby have overcome their own recent coronavirus issues to turn a sluggish start to the season into a decent run of form. 


An opening day defeat at Walsall was followed by a very disappointing home reverse at the hands of Salford who, in what became a bizarre game, were awarded three penalties - all of which were duly despatched. 

An away draw at Bolton was a welcome start to October, and the first victory came when Owura Edwards, James Tilley and Owen Windsor scored the goals at Cheltenham to see the Mariners throught to a deserved 3-1 win.

Another thriller last weekend saw Montel Gibson keep his cool to bag an injury time penalty winner down at Leyton Orient, with the sides having been deadlocked at 2-2 in the run-up to full time.

They hosted Harrogate on Tuesday night, and two goals from Jack Muldoon for the visitors proved to be enough, despite the fact that James Tilley had equalised within a minute of Muldoon's opening strike.

who to watch

The spread of goals across the team through these early fixtures suggests that Grimsby have a dynamic and fluid method of attack, but we've gone for West Brom's rising star Owen Windsor as our man to watch.  

The youngster is in on-loan from the Baggies, recruited just two weeks ago, and he's already amde an impact by getting his name on the scoresheet and in the assists column.

Tipped for a bright future, he'll be looking to build on his good start at Blundell Park.


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through this unprecedented behind closed doors period.

Match passes are available for ALL EFL league games. Click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.


These two sides have met on a total of 46 occasions over the years - going all the way back to the 1907/08 campaign when the Mariners registered a 6-2 FA Cup home victory over the fledgling Blues.

Grimsby hold the bragging rights by some considerable margin, with 24 victories compared to United's 11. 

  Carlisle wins Draws Grimsby wins
League 9 9 19
FA Cup 0 1 2
Cup 1 0 0
League Cup 1 2 3
Total 11 12 24

The last time the teams met was at Brunton Park in December 2019. Both sides slugged it out, but it was clean sheets all round as the spoils were shared.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was a sunny Bank Holiday Monday at Blundell Park in April 2019, and the game appeared to heading to a draw until Joe Grayson grabbed a winner deep into time added on.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

United were left empty-handed at Brunton Park in October earlier in that season as a first half goal from Luke Hendrie proved to be enough to take the spoils. The Blues had chances, but it wasn't their night as the visitors shut up shop to frustrate the home crowd.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Our November 2017 trip to Blundell Park saw United give as good as they got in a tight game. Grimsby shaded the first half with the woodwork and some heroics from Jack Bonham to thank for a clean sheet. The deadlock was eventually broken when defender Clint Hill got on the end of a superb cross from Gary Liddle. 

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Things were more comfortable in the home game with Hallam Hope opening the scoring with just three minutes on the clock. It was the perfect thank you to the fans who had turned up as early as 8am on match day to help to clear snow from the pitch, and the surrounding areas, to allow the game to go ahead. Mark Ellis secured the points with a close range header with just over 15 minutes left to play.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Referee - Christopher Pollard
Assistant Referee 1 - Simon Clayton
Assistant Referee 2 - Stephen Wade
Fourth Official - Conor Brown

Our referee for this game is Mr Christopher Pollard.

He has refereed six games so far this season showing 23 yellow cards and one red.

Having joined the EFL ranks last season, this is the first time he has been the man in the middle for a Carlisle United fixture.


This is a behind closed doors fixture. 

Please see above for details on how to purchase a live streaming match pass to see all of the action on iFollow.


Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Mariners 1 - 1 United

From the Blundell Park away game

24 October 2020

United were away for the second time in the space of five days as they made the cross country trip to Blundell Park.

And manager Chris Beech went for an unchanged starting eleven following another good midweek performance at Oldham.

A blustery wind and heavy rain greeted the players, but United were presented with an early chance when Taylor misjudged a header as he tried to guide it back towards his own goal.

Toure was on it in a flash and he took it under control as he shaped to shoot. He lost his footing as he made his connection on the edge of the area and he scuffed the effort wide.

There was a scare at the other end when Waterfall touched a chest high pass with his boot. He spun away and suddenly had just Farman to beat from very close range. The keeper spread himself to smother the shot, and McDonald hooked it clear as it screwed into the six-yard box.

Carisle had more defending to do as a high delivery caught on the wind, causing problems for the back line. McDonald kept his eye on it, and Farman was out sharply to help. His clearance was charged down but Tanner was back to assist with an important intervention.

Midfielder Callum Guy picked out Nick Anderton with a deep free kick at the other end and the skipper did well to put it back into the mix. Toure took over, and he clipped a cross past his marker as he dropped his shoulder. McKeown was well placed to pluck it out of the air.

There was easy work for Farman when Pollock got on the end of an inswinging set piece from deep. His touch was nothing more than a glance and the stopper dealt with it comfortably.

And the man in green was smartly off his line again when a recycled free kick was nodded back towards the box. His quick movement ensured he got there first.

United thought they'd taken the lead when good pressure from the orange shirts saw Toure and Kayode combine to break through. Alessandra allowed the delivery to drop over his shoulder, and he then whisked one in as he left his man in his wake. Kayode was up to meet it but his header, from eight yards out, went the wrong side of the upright.

A corner followed, and Toure's initial connection was blocked. A weak clearance came to Tanner but his shot from distance was always going wide.

The Mariners took the lead somewhat against the run of play on 24 minutes when a low corner somehow made its way through a ruck of bodies. Pollock was waiting, and he left Farman with no chance as he rattled his volley into the net.

Carlisle saw plenty of the ball following the goal, but both teams were guilty of sending set pieces too long or too low through what was a short, scrappy period.

But Toure did well on the half hour when he looked after the ball as he came under pressure. He managed to do enough to open a gap, but his shot was too close to McKeown.

More good pressure from the orange shirts saw Guy keep an attack live as a clearance spooned high. Toure won a header, Kayode shielded it, and Alessandra was disappointed to see his snapshot take a deflection, which took the sting off the drive.

A Tanner free kick from wide caught on a gust as the visitors looked to restore parity ahead of the break, and McKeown had to scramble back to make sure it landed on the roof of his net.

More good pressing from United saw Mellish pick the ball up 24-yards out and he cut inside before pulling the trigger on a left-footed shot. McKeown dived but it took an awkard bounce and smashed into the side netting.

Carlisle were close in time added on for the half as a huge throw from Kayode ws flicked on. Mellish got a second touch, and the ball bounced free, but a clearance off the line prevented the goal.

An absolute howler from keeper James McKeown gifted the away side a goal when Luke Waterfall, who had been pushed out wide, rolled the ball back towards his keeper with just 40 seconds on the second half clock. McKeown took a swipe, but it clipped off his boot and bobbled slowly and agonisingly, from his point of view, over the line.

Trickery from Toure carved out a decent chance just after the hour when his stepover created space. His delivery found Kayode but the downward header was cleared at the back post, with McKeown beaten.

Both teams worked hard to close each other down, but a patient build up from the visitors saw Tanner and Alessandra exhange short passes. The cross, when it came, was deflected and Kayode trapped it before letting fly. A block meant McKeown had no work to do.

Toure went on a run from the halfway line when he combined with Mellish to rob possession, but he was stopped at the last hurdle as he tried to get his shot past Pollock.

The better of the attacking play came from United and Alessandra put Tanner on the overlap as they pushed on in numbers. Toure bounced another pass to the right back, and his cross was sitting up for Anderton to blast, but Kayode couldn't get out of the way.

Another direct run from Toure took him past three, and he fed it on for Reilly, who had taken up a good position. He was closed down by two as he tried to find the target.

Carlisle had to concentrate when a free kick arrowed into the area, to be nodded on by Hanson. It pinged around, but Farman was able to jump on it as McDonald closed things down.

Guy almost helped to unlock the door when he floated a deep free kick to the back stick. It bounced high for Alessandra, but his touch was taken away from the onrushing Reilly by Kayode, who had stretched out a boot.

Hayden had to shadow Windsor as he made a surge into the area late in the day, but the defender stayed tall to bring the run to a close.

The visitors sent one last set piece into the mix, in time added on, but the wind held it up and the whistle blew on a hard-fought share of the points.



Grimsby Town - Pollock (24)

Carlisle United - Waterfall (og 46)



Grimsby Town - Taylor (36), Waterfall (76), Starbuck (82), Pollock (90)

Carlisle United - Anderton (19)



Grimsby Town - McKeown (c), Hendrie, Pollock, Waterfall, Preston, Clifton (Starbuck 60), Morton, Taylor, Tilley (Hanson 53), Williams (Green 71), Windsor. Subs - Battersby (gk), Mohsni, Idehen, Gomis.

Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner, Hayden, McDonald, Anderton (c), Riley (Reilly 66), Guy, Mellish, Alessandra, Kayode, Toure. Subs - Dewhurst, Devine, Hunt, Charters, Furman, Malley.


Match officials

Referee - Christopher Pollard
Assistant Referee 1 - Simon Clayton
Assistant Referee 2 - Stephen Wade
Fourth Official - Conor Brown


Attendance - behind closed doors

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account