Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
17 October 2020 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: U's up next at Brunton Park

We take a look ahead to the weekend game

14 October 2020

The U's were our last Saturday home fixture prior to the March lockdown earlier this year in a season which saw them battle their way into the play-off reckoning.


They lost out to Exeter, when the two-legged semi-finals were eventually staged in June, and they've come back this season very difficult to beat as they look to mount another assault on the upper reaches of the division.

So much so, in fact, that four of their five league fixtures have been stalemates, with their only League Two victory coming in their first home game of the season against Bolton.

Last weekend saw them take a first half lead against the Saddlers but a second half equaliser from Elijah Adebayo left the U's facing an onslaught, and they had to dig deep to keep hold of their point.


The play-off defeat saw the end of John McGreal's tenure at Colchester and former player and assistant manager Steve Ball was handed the reins midway through July.

Ball, who had worked closely with McGreal, immediately insisted that he'd be 'putting his own stamp on things' as he set about looking for new recruits.

Former-Carlisle loanee keeper Shamal George was captured on a two-year deal and, at the other end, striker Martell Taylor-Crossdale came in from Fulham on a season long loan deal.

More recently, forward Josh Bohui terminated his contract with NAC Breda as he made the move back to England to join the Colchester ranks, having previously spent three years on the books with Manchester United.

who watch

Stats tell us that Callum Harriott, who has two goals to his name so far, has a shot accuracy of 50%, which means that he's likely to test the keeper if he gets half a sight of the target.

He's also popped up with an assist when he slotted a pass through to Ben Stevenson, who opened the scoring in the 3-3 draw with Oldham at the beginning of this month.

With eight shots on target through his appearances so far, it gives him a 25% conversion rate to goals scored.


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through these unprecedented behind closed doors fixtures.

Match passes are available for ALL EFL league games during this restricted attendance period. Click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.

Codes will be issued to those who are eligible to watch this fixture free. More details on free codes, and how to redeem them - and on how to purchase a match pass - are HERE.



Carlisle wins


Colchester wins





League Cup








Colchester's visit to Brunton Park in March 2020 saw them pick up a 3-0 victory as they maintained their push for a top seven spot.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

We were at their place just before Christmas in 2019 and it was a day where Colchester took their chances and claimed the victory.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The February meeting during the 2018/19 season brought a hard-fought draw, with Hallam Hope giving the Blues the lead just after half time. The U's upped their game and they got their reward with an equaliser from Frankie Kent with just six minutes left to play.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Colchester were at Brunton Park just before Christmas that season for a game that went the way of the home side thanks to a blistering second half display. Hallam Hope had set the tone with a goal just before the break, and Jerry Yates, Jamie Devitt and Danny Grainger wrapped things up as they hit the back of the net in a second period which was all about the Blues.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The first meeting of these teams during the 17/18 season was for our October visit to Essex. It was a tight game, with both sides creating good chances, but a superb finish from Jamie Devitt proved to be the difference when he got on the end of a long ball forward before calmly slotting it beneath Walker's dive to find the bottom corner.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Back up at Brunton Park in February 2018 and Courtney Senior gave the visitors the upper hand with a well taken goal just before the break. The Blues came out for the second half in determined mood and Jamie Devitt pounced once more to claim a point for his side with just 10 minutes left on the clock.

Watch the highlights from that game here:



Referee - Martin Coy
Assistant Referee 1 - Daniel Woodward
Assistant Referee 2 - Scott Williams
Fourth Official - Peter Gooch

Martin Coy

The referee for this fixture is Mr Martin Coy. 

He's refereed five games so far this season showing 13 yellow cards and two reds.

He was last in charge of us for the 3-0 home defeat against Plymouth in January. Aaron Hayden was sent off in the final minute of that fixture as tensions ran high. 

Prior to that he was here for the 2-1 defeat at the hands of Port Vale back in November 2019.

Ryan Loft put us ahead with just one minute on the clock, but second half goals from Worrall and Cullen took the points the way of the hosts. Loft and Canice Carroll had their names taken on the day.

We saw him twice in the 2018/19 season, with our first meeting for the home defeat against Grimsby in October. The goal came in the first half from Luke Hendrie, but there were no United names entered into the book.

He was back here a month later for the 1-1 Checkatrade Trophy meeting with Stoke City under-21s. Jack Sowerby scored the goal and Gary Liddle was shown a yellow card. 

He was with us three times during the 2017/18 season, with his first visit up north coming in August 2017 for our 3-0 home victory over Cheltenham. Tom Miller and Reggie Lambe added to a fifth minute own goal from Harry Pell, and Mark Ellis was the only Carlisle booking on the day.

We saw him again for our November Checkatrade Trophy group game against Fleetwood, where a certain Jack Sowerby opened the scoring on the night. Wes Burns doubled the lead just before half time, and a late Shaun Miller goal did little to affect the outcome as the visitors took the win come full time. Tom Miller and Jamie Devitt received yellow cards that night.

His last trip to Brunton Park during that campaign was for our 2-2 draw with Crawley in March. Richie Bennett and Hallam Hope appeared to have done the job with goals to give us a 2-0 lead, but the Red Devils recovered and claimed their point courtesy of a brace from Kalen Grant. United names taken were Clint Hill, Hallam Hope and Tom Parkes.


This is a behind closed doors fixture. 

Please see above for details on how to purchase a live streaming match pass to see all of the action via our iFollow streaming service.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 3 - 2 U's

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

17 October 2020

United were back at Brunton Park with a good run of form to protect on Saturday as they came up against hard to beat Colchester United.

Boss Chris Beech made just one change from the side that beat Port Vale last weekend with Josh Kayode, back from international duty with Ireland, in for striker Gav Reilly.

United started on the front-foot, attacking the Waterworks End, with Gime Toure showing good skill as he danced through two challenges. Anderton took over as he overlapped, and he spotted Alessandra making a move outside the box. The striker crossed towards the back stick and Gerken watched in horror as it evaded everybody before bouncing into the corner of the net to give the hosts an early lead.

Carlisle kept it tight at the back, and a determined sprint from Hayden saw him intercept a through ball before releasing Tanner. His cross came off Brammall before going behind for a corner. 

A fantastic attack was initiated by Toure as he defended possession tight by his own corner flag. The ball was moved quickly up the pitch until Riley unleashed a stunner of a delivery across the face of the target. It had just too much on it and Kayode couldn't finish it off. 

It was all about the home side as they peppered the box with crosses from Riley, Anderton and Alessandra, and a long throw from Kayode caused real issues when it was allowed to bounce. Bramall had to put it over his own bar before Tanner could get something on it.

The deserved second goal came when Callum Guy timed a tackle to perfection on the halfway line. He fed it to Alessandra, and he showed poise to nick it past a sliding challenge before carrying it to the edge of the area.

Jon Mellish was in support, and the outcome was never in doubt as he rifled the cut back past the dive from Gerken to make it five goals in four games from the marauding midfielder.

Carlisle continued to press and push and they kept the visitors at arm's length whenever they tried to venture forward. The influence of Guy and Mellish in midfield was backed up well by energy from Riley as the Blues stayed well on top.

But Hayden had to head from inside his own six-yard box as a whipped delivery from Harriott angled towards Norris with the U's finally finding their feet.

It was a good spell for the away side and Farman had to dive full length to palm a curler from Harriott beyond the upright as it threatened to creep in.

And the U's got their lifeline moments before the break when the corner from that save was nodded high into the air. It was quickly recovered, and touched on by Pell, and that left Luke Norris with the simple task of nodding it into the net from close range.

A blistering shot from Poku was parried by Farman deep into time added on, and the closing stages of the first period had served as a real warning sign for United as a more confident looking away team headed down the tunnel.

Carlisle fired the first shot in anger after the break when a hooked clearance from Hayden inside his own half was nodded on by Mellish. Kayode applied another touch, and Toure took over as he went on a winding run. Kayode had tracked him and he stepped in to drill a shot from distance, but it was always heading high.

Kayode and Toure combined again, with the former peeling wide, and his low cross just needed a boot to connect as it fizzed past Gerken. 

But it was Colchester who were celebrating when a rasied hand from McDonald prevented Norris from getting a clean header as a high ball came in. The referee pointed to the spot, and Norris placed the ball before stroking it home.

Carlisle looked to reassert their authority, but a header from Hayden from a Guy free kick looped high over the bar.

A thunderbolt from Joe Riley whistled just over the angle of post and bar as the Blues worked hard to regroup, but Hayden had to intervene to get a free kick delivery diverted away from goal at the other end as it skipped awkwardly off the surface.

The Cumbrians should have retaken the lead on 67 minutes when Anderton trapped the ball before giving it to Alessandra. He dropped a shoulder, twisted his man and clipped it inside for Riley to latch on to. He did just that, with a deft and neat touch, and he had just Gerken to beat as he burst clean through. He kept it low but he was disappointed to see it shave the wrong side of the post.

Sub Gav Reilly almost made an immediate impact when he went on a run before delivering a tasty outswinger. Gerken was rooted to his line as it bounced out of his reach, but it didn't threaten the target.

A series of crosses had the away defence stretched, but the ball just wouldn't drop as blue shirts tried to get the decisive touch, only to be crowded out at the vital moment.

Guy produced another beauty with 15 minutes left to play, and the slightest of glances from Kayode spun an inch too high.

And United were left with their head in their hands following more good work from Reilly. He picked out the onrushing Jon Mellish but the midfielder had to throw himself at it and that forced his toe poke wide.

But the pressure was finally made to tell on 81 minutes when another corner was kept alive. Hayden's initial header was hooked off the line, but Reilly, Kayode and Alessandra refused to allow the clearance to be made. 

Captain Nick Anderton but his boot through it as he tried to bulge the net, but a partial block set it up nicely for Aaron Hayden who kept his cool as he picked his spot with his header.

Reilly was clean through and unlucky as he set himself to find the nets moments later, but he dragged his attempt just past the upright.

The lively Reilly had a penalty claim waved away in time added on, and Kayode blazed high as he tried to write his name in lights.

Farman and Hayden combined with a save and clearance in the final seconds, as Harriott came inside to shoot. The keeper parried it and Hayden slid in to complete the goal-saving action as Norris arrived with the full intention of finishing it off.



Carlisle United - Alessandra (4), Mellsh (29), Hayden (81)

Colchester United - Norris (44 & 52)



Carlisle United - Riley (21), Mellish (61), Guy (64)

Colchester United - Harriott (61), Pell (68)



Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner, Hayden, McDonald, Anderton (c), Guy, Mellish, Riley (Furman 86), Alessandra (Malley 90), Toure (Reilly 68), Kayode. Subs - Dewhurst (gk), Devine, Hunt, Charters.

Colchester United - Gerken, Bramall, Smith, Pell (c), Norris, Brown (Senior 78), Harriott, Chilvers, Scarlett (Welch-Hayes 78), Eastman, Poku (Bohui 83). Subs - George (gk), Sowunmi, Gambin, Marshall.


Match officials

Referee - Martin Coy
Assistant Referee 1 - Daniel Woodward
Assistant Referee 2 - Scott Williams
Fourth Official - Peter Gooch


Attendance - behind closed doors

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account