Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
03 October 2020 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Barrow return to Brunton Park

Eagerly anticipated Cumbrian derby

1 October 2020

There was all sorts going on at the top of Division Four in April 1964 when these two sides last met in a competitive fixture.

Things were so tight that five teams, Carlisle amongst them, were neck-and-neck for the right to take one of the four promotion spots, with the title also still up for grabs.

Things were a little bit more academic at the other end. A system of re-election was still in place, but the Bluebirds were doing everything they could to avoid bottom spot.

In the end Carlisle held their nerve, finishing second behind Gilingham despite having recorded a whopping 113 league goals.

Unfortunately a run of poor results, particularly at home, meant that Barrow did indeed pick up the dreaded wooden spoon.


Carlisle wins


Barrow wins





FA Cup









That was 56 years ago, with goals from Joe Livingstone (2) and Jonny Evans (2) easing United to a 4-1 win in that last encounter, despite a fine finish from Tommy Thompson in reply.

Fast forward to now, and newly installed boss David Dunn brings his side to Carlisle looking for their first league victory since his club returned to the ranks of the Football League courtesy of their National League title-winning push last term.

It was a busy summer for the Bluebirds, with striker Luke James, midfielder Mike Jones and defender Tom Beadling all joining on two-year deals before the end of July. 

Forward Scott Quigley was rewarded for his efforts (20 goals as part of the promotion surge) with a new three-year deal that same week, and Dunn used his Blackburn contacts to bring defender Matty Platt in on an undisclosed fee.

Into August and Altrincham defender James Jones put pen-to-paper, with former Manchester United midfielder Callum Gribbin also signing up just a few days later. 

The procession continued as defenders Kgosi Ntlhe and Bobby Burns headed to Holker Street, from Scunthorpe and Hearts respectvely, along with Harrison Biggins who came in from Fleetwood on-loan.

Burnley youngster Scott Wilson went to Barrow following his release from Turf Moor, and the latest recruit was keeper Josh Lillis who joined the club as a player-coach, completing the backroom line up with Rob Kelly having been appointed as assistant manager.


Barrow will probably hope never to see a penalty shoot-out again having been dumped out of the Carabao Cup at Pride Park following a more than creditable 0-0 draw in their first outing of the 2020/21 season. The spot kicks ended 3-2 in Derby's favour.

Three days later and their first EFL Trophy group game was a trip to Blackpool. That also ended 0-0, with the Seasiders winning 5-3 on penalties. 

Into the league and a 12th minute Dior Angus penalty looked to have given the Bluebirds their first victory following their 48-year absence, but Stevenage grabbed a point as Inih Effiong netted a late equaliser. You guessed it - it was from the spot. 

Goals either side of the break for Newport were enough to consign Dunn's men to their first away defeat a week later, so it was back home last weekend for a tough game against Colchester. 

A first senior goal for Noah Chilvers gave the U's the lead, but a stunner from Mike Jones made it a second share of the spoils of the season.


Midfielder Mike Jones needs absolutely no introduction. 

He made 158 appearances for the Blues, scoring three absolute beauties along the way, and became a real favourite with the fans thanks to his hard-work ethic. 

Steady and reliable in midfield, he left Brunton Park in the summer to join the Bluebirds on a two-year deal.


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through these unprecedented behind closed doors fixtures.

Match passes are available for ALL EFL league games during this restricted attendance period. Click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.

Codes will be issued to those who are eligible to watch this fixture free. More details on free codes, and how to redeem them - and on how to purchase a match pass - are HERE.


Referee - Ben Toner
Assistant Referee 1 - Paul Newhouse
Assistant Referee 2 - Gary Hilton
Fourth Official - Chris Isherwood

Our referee for this fixture is Mr Ben Toner.

Ben has taken charge of five games so far this season showing 17 yellow cards and no reds.

A regular with us over the years, he was with us for the festive visit to Walsall in December 2019. All of the goals came in the second half, with Nathan Thomas and Harry McKirdy [with an injury time winner] doing the real damage as the Blues won 2-1. Jamers Clarke was sent off for the Saddlers and Aaron Hayden went in the book for us.

He was our main match official at the start of the 2019/20 campaign for our Carabao Cup meeting with Barnsley at Oakwell. Goals from Harry McKirdy, Jack Bridge [pen] and Nathan Thomas sealed a comfortable victory and no Carlisle names were taken on the night.

Our first meeting with him during the 2018/19 season was for the 2-1 victory over Port Vale at Brunton Park in August. A Danny Grainger penalty and a Tom Parkes header were enough to see the Blues earn the three points with no cards shown

The Checkatrade Trophy fixture at the Stadium of Light was the second United game he oversaw that term, with the Black Cats running out as 3-1 winners. Ashley Nadesan got the United goal and, once again, the cards stayed in his pocket.

New Year's Day 2019 took us to Morecambe, Jamie Devitt and Jack Sowerby got the goals, and Kelvin Etuhu and Anthony Gerrard had their names recorded in the book.

And last, but not least, was our 2-1 home victory over Swindon in March 2019. Hallam Hope and Callum O'Hare scored our goals with Gary Liddle going in the book for a late challenge. 


This is a behind closed doors fixture. 

Please see above for details on how to purchase a live streaming match pass to see all of the action via our iFollow streaming service.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 0 Barrow

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

3 October 2020

The last time these teams met in competitive action was on 17 April 1964, as the Blues were heading into Division Three by way of a promotion, an achievement helped by a 4-1 victory over the Bluebirds here at Brunton Park on that Friday night.

Barrow finished bottom of the Football League that year, but better was to come as they rebuilt and forged a path to Division Three for themselves at the end of the 1966/67 campaign.

By then, Carlisle had become a solid Division Two side, and a dramatic Barrow decline saw them eventually voted out of the league in the summer of 1972. 

Having won promotion as National League champions last season, the Bluebirds were back at Brunton Park looking to register their first league victory since losing their place some 48 years ago.

Forward Gime Toure was back from his dead leg, so he stepped up to make the only change to the starting line up from last weekend as he replaced Dean Furman.

United attacked the Waterworks End from the off and it was an interception by Mellish which sparked the first attack. He fed it to Walker, and support arrived for him from Anderton. A deep cross was eventually cleared as Toure tried to find space.

An excellent opening was created on 9 minutes for the Blues when McDonald pinged a raking pass to Walker on the left flank. He turned his man then delivered, and Mellish was a whisker away from finishing it off as he arrived late.

Heavy rain beat down on the players as both sides worked hard to gain the upper hand, and it was Carlisle who enjoyed the bulk of the early pressure as they sent a string of crosses into the area from wide.

Good work from Alessandra saw him shrug off a challenge as he worked his way along the edge of the box, and he looked to see Mellish steaming in. The midfielder connected well but he couldn't keep his effort down and it rose just over the angle of post and bar.

A long kick from Farman brought a neat flick from Kayode which gave Walker room to work. He dropped a shoulder and drilled it low but it was hooked away before Alessandra could wrap it up.

An excellent piece of football saw Alessandra thread a dinked pass through for Kayode to latch on to, and he slipped it through Brough's legs before bearing down on goal. Dixon was off his line quickly to make a superb save as he dived low to palm it away.

The deserved lead was claimed on 24 minutes when Toure feinted to cross leaving Brough on the floor. A clipped pass found Mellish, eight yards out from the target, and he didn't disappoint as he guided his header into the bottom corner to register his first goal for the club.

Barrow looked for a response and a run and grasscutting cross from Brough made its way across the face of the target. Barry put his boot through it from a tight angle but Farman dropped smartly to make a save.

More trickery from Toure earned a free kick tight by the touchline at the other end, and Tanner picked out Kayode with a flighted ball. His downward header was smothered by Dixon as Toure slid in.

Carlisle should have doubled the lead on 36 minutes when Mellish made a vital interception in his own half. Toure had switched wings, and he mesmerised two before bending it towards Kayode. The forward twisted his neck to make the header but it dropped a millimetre the wrong side of the upright.

Farman was in action again when Angus pulled away from his marker just before the break, but the keeper was well set to deal with the stinging drive that came his way as the forward burst through.

An early second half misplaced pass from Biggins sent Toure free, as he took it on his instep, but a heavy touch meant that his run came to an end when the ball smashed into the side netting.

Brown fizzed an effort well wide when Barrow broke in numbers, as a United attack crumbled, and Tanner had a volley charged down as a long throw from Kayode came his way. The ricochet fell to Alessandra but his volley climbed high. 

Carlisle carved the visitors open on 54 minutes when Kayode popped a pass for Alessandra to meet. His cut back was put behind just as Kayode set himself to make the finish.

Disaster struck for the hosts moments later when Aaron Hayden got in a tangle with James Jones as the corner went deep. The whistle blew and the United man was shown a straight red card. Jones received treatment and was substituted to be replaced by Josh Kay.

United reshaped as Mellish dropped to left back and Anderton stepped inside, and the defence was tested when Biggins took charge of 26-yard free kick. It had power but it was always too high.

The hosts almost found a way through when Toure was sent on an overlap, and he thought he'd picked out Alessandra until Hardcastle got in the way.

Barrow had a real chance to equalise when slick passing left Quigley with just Farman to beat. The big stopper spread himself to make a fantastic save, and he was up quickly to deal with the follow up drive from Barry.

Barry was twice involved again on 80 minutes for the away side as he first saw a piercing cross tipped high by Farman. The recovered ball came his way but he was under pressure from Mellish and he could only head wide.

A whopping 12 minutes of added time had to be played, which brought much nail biting for the Carlisle contingent, and a long-range shot from Mike Jones had to be tipped wide as the away side sent everyone forward.

Hardcastle was booked as he went to the floor looking for a penalty, as the clock ticked on, and a goalmouth scramble somehow stayed out when the ball spooned off Farman and over Quigley's head as he stood in space on the line.

A late header from Kay went wide, and there was another almighty scramble to deal with inside the six-yard box, but Carlisle had weathered the storm to well and truly claim the bragging rights.



Carlisle United - Mellish (24)



Carlisle United - Mellish (10), Anderton (69), Guy (90)

Sent off - Hayden (54)

Barrow - Quigley (75), Brough (80), Hardcastle (90), Kay (90)



Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner, Hayden, McDonald, Anderton (c), Guy, Mellish, Alessandra (Devine 84), Walker (Reilly 73), Kayode, Toure (Charters 90). Subs - Dewhurst (gk), Hunt, Riley, Malley.

Barrow - Dixon, Brown, Brough, M Jones, Quigley, Hardcastle (c), J Jones (Kay 65), Beadling, Angus, Biggins (James 77), Barry. Subs - Lillis (gk), Taylor, Hird, Wilson.


Match officials

Referee - Ben Toner
Assistant Referee 1 - Paul Newhouse
Assistant Referee 2 - Gary Hilton
Fourth Official - Chris Isherwood


Attendance - behind closed doors


Advertisement block

Advertisement block