Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:30 (UK)

Buy tickets
29 November 2020 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 13:30 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Second round Emirates FA Cup action at Brunton Park

United host Donny in a televised game on Sunday

27 November 2020

League One side Doncaster Rovers are the visitors to Brunton Park for this Sunday's televised FA Cup second-round meeting.


Rovers breezed past FC United of Manchester in what could have been a tricky tie in front of the TV cameras in round one, with Fejiri Okenabirhie settling any nerves with an early goal for the away side.

Ben Whiteman, Josh Sims and James Coppinger added to the tally before the break, and Sims bagged another shortly after the restart to make it an emphatic victory.

The lively Sims was an October loan signing from Southampton, and he joined the club on the same day as Matt Smith, on-loan from Manchester City, to complete what had been a busy transfer period.


This weekend's visitors strung together an impressive run of results last month as they put Portsmouth, Ipswich and Lincoln to the sword in the league action.

But there was also frustration through that period as Crewe, Wigan and Plymouth ensured that they didn't get it all their own way.

Into November and it's now four league games unbeaten, with the win in the FA Cup making it a five-game unbeaten run (setting aside a blemish against the Wolves under-21 team in the Papa John's Trophy).

The upturn in results has put them in a very healthy tenth spot in the table. But that doesn't tell the full story with just five points between themselves and third-placed Lincoln making it a keenly contested division.

who watch

Goals are spread evenly around the team, with Ben Whiteman and Fejiri Okenabirhie leading the way, and Madger Gomes and Josh Sims have also weighed in with important strikes.

But can you really look any further than James Coppinger?

Over 600 appearances for the club he calls home, the evergreen 39-year-old is an influence whether he starts or comes off the bench. 

On from the off in round one, it'll be no surprise if that's the case against the Blues again on Sunday.


It's just under four years since these sides last met and it was United who ran out as winners here at Brunton Park. Nicky Adams set the Blues on their way in the first half, and Nial Mason put the ball into his own net to double the advantage with five minutes left to go. Tommy Rowe got a late consolation for the away side deep into time added on.

Watch the highlights from that game here: 

The visit to the Keepmoat earlier that season had seen the Blues battle their way to a 2-2 draw. Shaun Miller drew first blood, but Tommy Rowe and John Marquis struck to put Donny ahead leading into the break. The Cumbrians came out all guns firing and they got their reward when Jabo Ibehre levelled things up late in the day.

Watch the highlights from that game here: 


Referee - Scott Oldham
Assistant Referee 1 - Chris Isherwood
Assistant Referee 2 - Paul Newhouse
Fourth Official - David Mcnamara

Scott OldhamThe referee for this game is Mr Scott Oldham. Scott has taken charge of 11 games so far this season and has shown 19 yellow cards and no reds.

We met Mr Oldham in October 2019 for our home defeat at the hands of Northampton. Two second half goals left the Bkues with nothing to show from that had been a dour game, but there were no United names taken on the day.

He was also here at Brunton Park for our home game against Crawley Town during the 2018/19 season. The Blues romped to a four-goal lead courtesy of Nathan Thomas (2), Callum O'Hare and Hallam Hope, but the Red Devils pulled two back either side of the break to make things slightly more interesting. There were no Carlisle names taken on the day.

Prior to that he was our man in the middle for our 2-0 defeat at the hands of MK Dons. Early second half goals for Jordan Houghton and Kieran Agard were followed by bookings for Regan Slater and Macaulay Gillesphey.

Earlier that season he was here at Brunton Park for the game against Stevenage in September. A Ben Kennedy goal early in the second half was enough to give the Boro a one-goal victory, and Hallam Hope's was the only Carlisle name taken on the day.

He was at Brunton Park on three occasions during the 2017/18 campaign, the first in September when we drew 1-1 with Barnet. Shaun Miller scored our late equaliser, with just five minutes left to play, and it was a game where the notebook stayed firmly in the pocket.

We saw him again at the end of December when Coventry were the visitors to Carlisle. Danny Grainger and Jamie Devitt went in the book as Marc McNulty bagged a second half winner.

His last trip to see us in the last campaign was for our 2-0 victory over Grimsby. Hallam Hope and Mark Ellis scored the goals and Clint Hill was the only yellow card shown on the day.


This is a behind closed doors fixture. 

The game is available to watch via BBC Digital Platforms, and is live via the BBC Red Button.


Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 2 Rovers

Report from the Sunday afternoon game

29 November 2020

United hosted League One side Doncaster Rovers on Sunday afternoon in the second round of this season's Emirates FA Cup competition.

Rovers had safely negotiated a potential first round banana skin with a comfortable victory over FC United of Manchester, meanwhile the Blues went all the way to penalties to get past Hayes & Yeading in what was a tense encounter with the non-league outfit.

Manager Chris Beech made one change from the midweek game, with Omari Patrick stepping up for Lewis Alessandra.

United defended the Warwick Road End in the first half and it was a tight opening as both teams held their shape and made the tackles.

An early chance came the way of Carlisle when Patrick robbed possession from Amos close to the half way line. He set off on a run but his cross was too close to Lumley and the keeper pulled it in.

Rovers replied with a measured build up which saw Amos overlap. His delivery brought a swing of the leg from Hayden, as he tried to clear his lines, but it scuffed off his boot and bobbled invitingly across the face of goal.

The pace of the game quickened and Toure stepped inside to beat one challenge as he made his way to the edge of the area. He shaped to shoot but it was blocked at source.

Defender Rhys Bennett was needed on 19 minutes when Okenabirhie was released by Amos. A precise sliding tackle stopped the move in its tracks.

Riley sent one wide from distance at the other end, and Doncaster broke quickly with former-Blue Reece James timing his run to beat the offside trap. His cross was comfortable for Farman to grasp.

United thought they'd grabbed the lead midway through the half when a long throw was flicked on by Toure. Mellish suddenly had just the keeper to beat but he somehow scooped his volley over the bar from just five-yards out.

The hosts defended well again as Guy, dropping deep to help out, took the ball off Okenabirhie when he raced clean through, and Lumley had to parry as the blue shirts flooded forward in response. Patrick tried to take him by surprise with a snapshot that flew through bodies, but he got there just in time.

Athleticism from Toure saw him jump high to meet a diagonal from Tanner, and his cushioned header invited Mellish to react. He got it under control but another block from Wright protected the target.

There was half a shout for a penalty as Mellish and Anderson tussled, with the former tumbling to the floor as he wrapped his boot round the ball, but the referee waved play on with just the quickest of glances in the direction of the incident.

Rovers were close on the half hour when Anderson got his head down to carry the ball forward. An incisive pass put Okenabirhie on the way but he dragged a weak shot well wide as Farman closed the angles.

That sparked a good spell for the away side and Amos put one right at Farman as he supported the attack, but there was better from the red and white shirts when Sims bent a run to feed the ball to James. He held it up, with his back to goal, and that allowed Ben Whiteman the time he needed to move into space. It came his way and he picked his spot with an accurate finish.

Carlisle refused to sulk and crosses from Guy and Anderton had to be dealt with. One such dipper from a Guy corner looked perfect for Anderton, who was unmarked at the back post, but Toure stretched for it and his header went high.

Farman had to go full length to push a toe poke from James away as it bounced towards the bottom corner, but the United stopper was beaten for a second time by Whiteman moments later as the away captain controlled a fizzed pass before letting one fly on the spin. Fingertips got there but it buried itself in the back of the net.

United were incensed just before the break when Kayode fell inside the area as he twisted away from Whitehead. He asked for a penalty, but the referee decided that it was simulation, much to the disgust of the host contingent.

A miscued effort from Mellish signalled attacking intent from Carlisle after the restart, but Hayden had to get his boot to a pull back from Okenabirhie as James sniffed for pieces. Amos followed up with a cross but the big number nine glanced that wide.

United had the bulk of the possession and their enterprising play was almost rewarded when Hayden pulled wide, beat his marker and crossed on the sprint. Kayode set it for Patrick to shoot and Lumley had to beat the stinging drive away as it angled at the nets.

Another testing Kayode throw ricocheted its way to Riley who, 23-yards out, pulled the trigger. It had venom but it edged just a yard too high.

But Doncaster still presented a danger, and they reminded everybody of that just past the hour when a slick move up the right wing left Sims with room to work in. He set himself to shoot but he put it just past the post.

United opened the away defence up with a floated free kick that saw Patrick pick out Toure after he'd got it under control. The angle was slender and Lumley was well placed to take it in.

A shot that was almost the perfect cross followed from Mellish, but Kayode was on his heels and the ball rolled harmlessly away. Mellish then put a difficult volley into the side netting as Anderton nodded a Guy free kick his way, and he showed his disappointment with his heads in his hands as he clearly felt he should have done better.

The dream was kept alive with 12 minutes left to pay after Lumley had pulled off a superb save from a Bennett header which appeared to be about to bulge the net. An acrobatic dive and an outsretched hand pushed it over.

Guy was quick to take the corner, and Lumley had to save from a powerful Hayden header as it came at his feet. The predatory Jon Mellish was there in a flash to sweep the ball home and to register his twelfth goal of the campaign.

Patrick flashed a header on the run just wide as Mellish broke through to cross, and the blues shirts kept pressing as they looked for that all-important second goal.

A half chance came the way of Reilly deep into time added on, but it wasn't to be as it flashed wide and Doncaster saw the time out to take their place in the third round draw.



Carlisle United - Mellish (78)

Doncaster Rovers - Whiteman (32, 40)



Carlisle United - Kayode (43)



Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner, Hayden, Bennett, Anderton (c), Riley (Dixon 70 (Reilly 90)), Guy, Mellish, Patrick, Toure (Alessandra 69), Kayode. Subs - Dewhurst (gk), Devine, Hunt, Furman.

Doncaster Rovers - Lumley, Halliday, James, Anderson, Wright, Whiteman (c), Okenabirhie, Smith, Amos (Lokilo 52), Richards (Gomes 62), Sims (John Jules 75). Subs - Jones (gk), Butler, Coppinger, Hasani.


Match officials

Referee - Scott Oldham
Assistant Referee 1 - Chris Isherwood
Assistant Referee 2 - Paul Newhouse
Fourth Official - David Mcnamara


Attendance - BCD

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account