Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
09 March 2021 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: United host the Mariners

Another Tuesday night home fixture

9 March 2021

As well we all know it's almost a year ago to the day that we were supposed to head to Grimsby for our March 2020 away fixture.


The kit was packed and ready to be loaded on the team bus, the lads were heading in to work and ready for the journey, but the Covid-19 crisis was about to strike in earnest, with the EFL rightly making the decision to suspend all football fixtures that March weekend.

And, 12-months further on, the pandemic still has a tight grip with supporters still locked out of games, and players subjected to twice-weekly tests in a bid to defeat the hidden enemy.

This is the corresponding night where we played our last pre-lockdown fixture (against Newport) before the plug was pulled ahead of that Saturday game at Blundell Park.


The Mariners don't need anybody to tell them that their current situation is perilous. 19 defeats and just six wins has seen them drop into the dreaded relegation zone, and just 23 goals scored is another symptom of a difficult season.

51 goals have been shipped at the other end, leaving them with the added headache of a sizeable goal difference of -28 to contend with.

A morale boosting home win against Crawley last month has thus far been the only victory of 2021, with a similar run before Christmas complicated yet further when boss Ian Holloway resigned amidst rumours of a potential takeover by London-based businessman Tom Shutes.

Paul Hurst returned as first-team gaffer - he had previoulsy managed Grimsby between 2011 and 2016 - just in time to undertake some January transfer comings and goings.

Defender Sam Habergham arrived from Lincoln until the end of the season as midfielder James Tilley headed out of the door to join Crawley.

And that was just the start of it as defender Rollin Menayese (Mansfield), midfielder Jay Matete (Fleetwood), striker Stefan Payne (Tranmere), midfielder Idris El Mizouni (Ipswich), striker Lenell John-Lewis (Hereford), keeper Jake Eastwood (Sheffield United), winger Joe Adams (Brentford), defender Joe Bunney (free agent), winger Julian Lamey (free agent) and midfielder Giles Coke (Hereford) all made their way to the east coast (roughly in that order). 

Time for settling in is now at a premium, but the belief at Blundell Park is that they'll click. Interesting times are ahead.

who watch

The arrival of striker Stefan Payne from Tranmere on a half-season loan deal has given the Mariners an attacking focal point that perhaps wasn't there prior to him putting pen-to-paper.

He's lively, mobile and already has a goal for his new club to his name.

A player who had to come back into the professional game via a spell on the non-league circuit, he has since built up a good level of experience with Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury and Tranmere.

He'll be looking to make a mark with this latest loan, so we've gone for him as our man to keep an eye on.


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through these unprecedented behind closed doors fixtures.

Match passes are available for ALL EFL league games during this restricted attendance period. Click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.

Our handy 'How To' guide for season ticket holders and match pass purchasers is HERE.

Over 1,000 fans subscribe to our home games and over 1,500 fans subscribe to this service for our away fixtures - don't miss out ... sign up now to back the Blues!


These two sides have met on a total of 47 occasions over the years - going all the way back to the 1907/08 campaign when the Mariners registered a 6-2 FA Cup home victory over the fledgling Blues.

Grimsby hold the bragging rights by some considerable margin, with 24 victories compared to United's 11. 

  Carlisle wins Draws Grimsby wins
League 9 10 19
FA Cup 0 1 2
Cup 1 0 0
League Cup 1 2 3
Total 11 13 24

The first meeting of the 2020/21 campaign was a 1-1 draw at Blundell Park. Matt Pollock scored the opener but a James McKeown own goal meant it was a share of the spoils come full time.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The last time the teams met was at Brunton Park in December 2019. Both sides slugged it out, but it was clean sheets all round as the spoils were shared.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was a sunny Bank Holiday Monday at Blundell Park in April 2019, and the game appeared to heading to a draw until Joe Grayson grabbed a winner deep into time added on.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

United were left empty-handed at Brunton Park in October earlier in that season as a first half goal from Luke Hendrie proved to be enough to take the spoils. The Blues had chances, but it wasn't their night as the visitors shut up shop to frustrate the home crowd.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Our November 2017 trip to Blundell Park saw United give as good as they got in a tight game. Grimsby shaded the first half with the woodwork and some heroics from Jack Bonham to thank for a clean sheet. The deadlock was eventually broken when defender Clint Hill got on the end of a superb cross from Gary Liddle. 

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Things were more comfortable in the home game with Hallam Hope opening the scoring with just three minutes on the clock. It was the perfect thank you to the fans who had turned up as early as 8am on match day to help to clear snow from the pitch, and the surrounding areas, to allow the game to go ahead. Mark Ellis secured the points with a close range header with just over 15 minutes left to play.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Referee - Christopher Sarginson
Assistant Referee 1 - Ivan Stankovic
Assistant Referee 2 - Graeme Fyvie
Fourth Official - Paul Marsden
Observer - Edward Tarry

Chris SarginsonThe referee for this game is Mr Chris Sarginson.

He has taken charge of 25 games so far this season showing 64 yellow cards and three reds.

We have to go back to April 2019 for our last game with Mr Sarginson, and that was an action packed 3-2 home victory over Bury. Jamie Devitt, Callum O'Hare and Hallam Hope scored the goals, and the Blues saw the victory through despite Mike Jones having received his marching orders on the stroke of half time.

He was also at Brunton Park for our November 2018 victory over Newport. Early goals from Jamie Devitt put Carlisle in the driving seat, but a late Butler strike levelled things up following a first half reply from padraig Amond. Danny Grainger snatched the last minute winner with a goal of the month volley to keep the points in Cumbria, and his was the only name taken on the day.

We saw him three times last season, with our first meeting with him for our Tuesday night away game at Luton last November. The home side scored twice in the first half and once after the break to take a 3-0 win, and Hallam Hope, Luke Joyce and Danny Grainger had their names taken for the Blues.

He was here at Brunton Park in January when a first goal for the club for Sam Cosgrove earned us a 1-0 victory over Crewe. Richie Bennett's name was the only one taken for the home side that day.

The last time we met was for our February away day in Barnet. The Bees took the lead just after the break but Ashley Nadesan [2] and Richie Bennett [1] came off the bench to change the game and make sure United went away with a valuable three points. Richie Bennett also went in the book late in the game.


This is a behind closed doors fixture. 

Please see above for details on how to purchase a live streaming match pass to see all of the action on iFollow.

Alternatively click HERE to go directly to our iFollow United information page where you can also purchase your match pass - match passes cost £10 per game.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 1 Grimsby

Report from the Tuesday night home game

9 March 2021

United went into their Tuesday home game with five changes from the weekend away trip to Morecambe as they embarked on the search for a return to winning ways.

Jack Armer, Rhys Bennett, Taylor Charters, Brennan Dickenson and Callum Guy all stepped up, with Nick Anderton, Dean Furman, Josh Kayode, Jon Mellish and George Tanner replaced in the eleven.

United had a 4-1-4-1 starting formation with Guy as an anchor in midfield and Alessandra leading the line.

The Blues made the first chance of the night as they attacked the Waterworks End when Charters pulled wide to chase the ball. His cross was excellent but Patrick couldn't quite get there as he challenged beside Menayesse.

Grimsby responded with a cross from Morais that was blocked for a corner, and there was a real scare as the inswinger came in from Habergham. Farman was impeded by Menayesse and the assistant flagged for a foul as it hit the beck of the net.

Habergham won his side another corner on 10 minutes when he had a cross charged down, and John-Lewis looked to get a touch when he threw himself at it. McDonald stood tall and the clearance was made.

United worked a way down the right with Alessandra and Riley exchanging passes, and a high delivery was completely missed by Eastwood. Dickenson got his head to it but it bounced well wide.

The Mariners took the lead on 16 minutes when Lamy found space to cross from the left flank. Lenell John-Lewis made an angled run and he made no mistake with a 10-yard header that flashed into the bottom corner.

Grimsby were buoyed by the goal and the blue back line had to concentrate as Hanson was targeted to hold the ball up. 

A deep free kick from the halfway line was met by Menayesse in what was a good away spell but his connection lacked power and Farman gathered it in.

Carlisle looked to pick up the pace and a long throw from Dickenson just past the half hour was touched on by Hayden as he made it his to meet at the front post. Patrick took the clip on the volley but an outstretched boot squeezed the sting out of it and it fell kindly for the keeper.

Joe Riley then cushioned the ball out of the air as a half clearance came his way, 22-yards out, and he controlled a stinging drive that whistled through bodies. Eastwood was well-placed once again to make the save.

Striker Omari Patrick showed skill in time added on for the half when he beat two before sending a delivery long. Dickenson spun on it as he turned away from his man and he put it back to Patrick, who crossed once again. Dickenson was on his heels as the ball skipped off the surface and made its way behind to safety.

The Blues won a corner at the beginning of the second period when Alessandra shielded a high ball on the edge of the area. Charters took over, and his run eventually brought a shot from Armer which was deflected behind. Guy sent the set piece deep but the header back across the face of goal from Hayden fell just the wrong side of the target.

A high ball forward at the other end bounced nicely for John-Lewis to strike and he fizzed a powerful shot low as he spun to get on it. He had his head in his hands as it shaved the outside of the post.

Carlisle won a free kick when Hayden was toppled 25-yards out but Dickenson's piledriver struck the wall. Riley's follow up suffered a similar fate, and the move came to an end when Armer's cross went too far.

The hosts probed, without managing to find a way through, and they suffered an injury blow when Hayden went to ground. Nick Anderton was immediately on to replace him.

A dipping Guy corner deserved better but Zanzala was under pressure when he jumped to meet it. His header angled the wrong way and Matete completed the clearance.

Grimsby had a moment when Clifton overlapped on the right wing, but Armer was there to calm things down. John-Lewis hooked a volley wide when it came back his way.

A run from Matete followed as he robbed possession on the halfway line, but Bennett got in the way as he pulled the trigger.

Substitute Ethan Walker showed great skill to pick a path at the other end, and there was relief for Hendrie when Eastwood dived to pick up his wayward intervention.

A real chance to equalise came in the first minute of added time when Armer rattled a ball into the mix. Eastwood saved the point-blank header from Dickenson and the midfielder somehow swept the parry wide of the mark from very close range.

But the home side got their goal when McDonald centred after a half clearance came his way. Ozzy Zanzala was there to rifle it into the roof of the net as he bagged his first goal for the club.



Carlisle United - Zanzala (90)

Grimsby Town - John-Lewis (16)



Carlisle United - Hayden (31)

Grimsby Town - Coke (55)



Carlisle United - Farman, Hayden (c) (Anderton 68), McDonald, Bennett, Armer, Patrick (Walker 80), Riley (Mellish 80), Guy, Charters (Zanzala 64), Dickenson, Alessandra. Subs - Norman (gk), Furman, Toure.

Grimsby Town - Eastwood, Hendrie, Coke, Hanson, Morais (Waterfall 90), Matete, John-Lewis (Green 90), Hewitt, Menayesse, Habergham (Bunney 46), Lamy (Clifton 72). Subs - McKeown (gk), Payne, Adams.


Match officials

Referee - Christopher Sarginson
Assistant Referee 1 - Ivan Stankovic
Assistant Referee 2 - Graeme Fyvie
Fourth Official - Paul Marsden
Observer - Edward Tarry


Attendance - BCD

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account