Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

03 April 2021 Venue Roots Hall Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Southend up next for the Blues

United head to the coast to kick off their April fixtures

2 April 2021

It feels like forever ago, but United's first league home game of the season was when we hosted Southend back in September.


Relegated last season, with just four wins from 35 matches, it goes without saying that the Shrimpers headed into the new season in League Two looking to put that right.

Former Weymouth boss Mark Molesley was installed as manager early in August, having taken his previous club into the National League off the back of two promotions in two seasons.

Off-field troubles saw the club face an HMRC winding up petition in January, but this was dismissed when it was revealed at the hearing that all debts had been paid.

As happens with a number of teams who drop down a division, the Shrimpers have struggled to readjust and they've found themselves sucked into another relegation battle, albeit with a much better recent record.

January saw Molesley act decisively with the early capture of Pompey forward Reeco Hackett-Fairchild. 

Centre back Tyler Cordner also arrived from Bournemouth, and midfielder Nathan Ferguson came in from Crawley.

Deadline day activity saw Gills midfielder Jacob Mellis pen a deal, and free agent Ricky Holmes also arrived to bolster options on the wing.

A stir was caused midway through February when Nile Ranger returned to Roots Hall on what was described as an 'incentivised deal' - but sadly he was ruled out for the remainder of the campaign at the start of this month when he picked up a nasty groin injury.


A relatively small number of meetings over the years [36 in all competitions] has seen it edge the way of the Cumbrians, with 15 victories compared to 11 for the other Blues.


Carlisle wins


Southend wins





FA Cup








Early season form was hard to come by for Southend as they opened the campaign with three straight league defeats.

In fact, they had just three points on the board when they finally registered their first win - that came away at Walsall in November. 

They became much harder to beat through December, and just three defeats from their last 12 games has seen them close the gap as they make a real fight of it. 

They head into Saturday's fixture unbeaten in four, and have drawn their last two home games 0-0. 

who watch

Experienced defender Jason Demetriou is edging towards 200 appearances for the Shrimpers and he's been a near ever-present this season.

Keep an eye on him as he looks to control the forwards and compete for every loose ball, whether it comes high or low.

He's our one to watch this Easter weekend.


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through these unprecedented behind closed doors fixtures.

Match passes are available for ALL EFL league games during this restricted attendance period. Click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.

Our handy 'How To' guide for season ticket holders and match pass purchasers is HERE.

Over 1,000 supporters subscribe to view our home games and over 1,500 fans subscribe to this service for our away games - don't miss out ... sign up now to back the Blues!


Billed as a Covid test game, the September 2020 meeting between these two sides saw 1,000 Blues fans gain admittance on the day.

And they were rewarded with first half goals from Omari Patrick and JJ Kayode which secured a good 2-0 victory.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Prior to that it was just over six years since Southend were last at Brunton Park when a 1-1 draw was one of their first steps towards promotion during that 2014/15 season.

Fans who were at that game will remember that it was a 90 minutes full of chances – with a particularly interesting five-minute period just before half time.

Antony Sweeney struck with a stunning header to give the Blues a lead to take into the break, or so it seemed, until Conor Clifford pounced deep into time added on for the half to completely change the complexion of the team talk for both managers. His shot, from distance, somehow made it all the way through and into the back of the net.

Watch the highlights from that game here: 


Referee - Alan Young
Assistant Referee 1 - Louis Marks
Assistant Referee 2 - Andy Bennett
Fourth Official - Matthew Lee
Observer - Mick Russell
Coach - Paul Taylor

Alan YoungOur referee for this game is Mr Alan Young.

So far this season he has shown 112 yellow cards and two reds from 26 games.

Now in his third season as a Football League official, this is just the third time he's taken charge of a game involving Carlisle United.

Our first meeting with him was at Home Park in October 2019. Plymouth won the game 2-0, and Jack Iredale and Jarrad Branthwaite had their names taken for the Blues.

We also had him at Forest Green in December 2020. A late Jamille Matt goal won the game for the hosts, and United had four names taken on the day - Paul Farman, Joe Riley, Lewis Alessandra and Taylor Charters.


This is a behind closed doors fixture. 

Please see above for details on how to purchase a live streaming match pass to see all of the action on iFollow.

Alternatively click HERE to go directly to our iFollow United information page where you can also purchase your match pass - match passes cost £10 per game.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Southend 0 - 2 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

3 April 2021

United made the long trip into Essex with an unchanged starting line-up from Tuesday night's home victory over Crawley.

A minute of silence was held before kick off for Yeovil captain Lewis Collins, who sadly passed away during the week, and the players also took the knee ahead of the first touch of the ball.

Left back Tom Clifford executed an excellent challenge early in the game when Patrick threatened to break clear when he surged into the box. The defender lunged and hooked it off the toes of the attacker just as he was about to shoot. 

A ball from deep followed from the away team and Hobson was relieved to see his touch take the cross beyond the far post.

Carlisle came again when Riley picked it up in midfield before spreading it to Armer. He had two attempts at putting it into the mix, with the first one cleared and sent back his way. The second came tamely off McCormack's jump and Oxley was able to gather it in.

More good approach work gave Zanzala space on the angle of the box and he went for the bottom corner as he released a shot on the turn. Oxley dived but he pulled his hand away and allowed it to drift by.

Striker Ozzy Zanzala was there again in the next attack and he bagged his fourth of the season in some style when he expertly controlled a ball forward from Hayden. He had room, which he exploited, and Oxley could do nothing as a drilled effort on the run ripped into the bottom corner.

The game was played mostly in midfield as United dictated the pace and tempo, and experienced campaigner Alan McCormack had to leave the field of play as he went down clutching his calf 10 minutes before the break. Kyle Taylor was on to replace him.

Southend were given a potential lifeline on 37 minutes when Akinola was chopped to the floor by Guy, just as he stepped into the area. The striker placed the ball on the spot, but his bizarre stuttering run-up gave keeper Paul Farman the opportunity to weigh the angles up. He went the right way, down to his left, and completed a very good save.

The Shrimpers kept going ahead of the break and a hooked pass for Hackett-Fairchild brought Farman off his line. The big front man got there first but he lost his balance and United were able to regroup.

An outswinging Clifford free kick from the left flank was cleared as far as Taylor as the hosts relied on set pieces, but Armer held his position to make a vital block as the midfielder tried to wind a way through. 

And the half closed with a cross from Clifford that was met by Cordner on the jump. His header sailed high and it dropped harmlessly behind for a goal kick.

The second half took a while to get going, but a run from Nathaniel-George invited Clifford to overlap. His delivery went deep, and Akinola was pulled up for handball as the ball was recovered.

There was half a chance for United from a Riley long throw as it popped awkwardly in the area. It was cleared, but the orange shirts showed first with the ball being lobbed towards Mellish. His initial cushion was followed by a fierce volley, but Oxley had covered the angles and he beat it away.

A Carlisle break saw Zanzala use his toe to turn his man on the halfway line. Pace and strength took him into the box, but his shot was charged down. 

An offside flag stopped celebrations from Akinola at the other end when he met a curling Clifford free kick. His miscued volley went over the line, but the flag had been raised for some amount of time.

Southend had a spell where corners and throws entered the box, but the visitors were never troubled as the deliveries lacked quality.

Substitute Gime Toure got to a clipped Mellish cross after good work from Alessandra had caused an overload, with United edging back on top, but it lacked power and Oxley was able to sweep it up.

The away points were wrapped up when Alessandra lost the ball, then immediately won it back. He spotted Toure in close attendance, with a deft reverse pass, and the forward didn't disappoint as he set himself before rattling an unstoppable effort beyond the dive of the keeper.

A fizzed cross from Tanner came in the next attack, and it had to be guided behind as Toure arrived late on the hunt again. 

The Cumbrians almost signed off with a fantastic goal as Alessandra fed it to Walker on the 18-yard line. His back heel took everyone out of the game, but Alessandra's follow-up shot was thwarted when Hobson got there just in the nick of time.



Carlisle United - Zanzala (17), Toure (79)



Southend United - Taylor (38)

Carlisle United - McDonald (31)



Southend United - Oxley, McCormack (Taylor 35), Hobson, Cordner, Akinola (Goodship 74), Clifford, Hackett-Fairchild, Acquah (Holmes 59), Nathaniel-George, Demetriou (c) (Bwomono 74), Ferguson (Mellis 74). Subs - Seaden (gk), Halford.

Carlisle United - Farman, Tanner, Hayden (c), McDonald, Armer, Riley, Guy, Mellish (Anderton 88), Alessandra, Zanzala (Walker 80), Patrick (Toure 74). Subs - Norman (gk), Charters, Furman, Scott.


Match officials

Referee - Alan Young
Assistant Referee 1 - Louis Marks
Assistant Referee 2 - Andy Bennett
Fourth Official - Matthew Lee
Observer - Mick Russell
Coach - Paul Taylor


Attendance - BCD

Advertisement block

Advertisement block