Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

13 April 2021 Venue Rodney Parade Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Tuesday night in Wales for the Blues

Midweek at Rodney Parade

12 April 2021

United are at Rodney Parade on Tuesday night as the fixtures continue to come thick and fast.


The Exiles were given permission to play two of their home games in Cardiff in March as they battled against a hectic rugby and football fixture schedule on an increasingly battered surface.

The condition of the pitch was so bad, in fact, that manager Michael Flynn described it as 'the worst he has ever seen it' when bad weather combined with an almost continual run of games from both disciplines to turn it into something that resembled a ploughed field at the turn of the year.

  Carlisle wins Draws Newport County wins
League 4 2 7
Total 4 2 7


Newport literally roared through the opening two months of the season, suffering just one defeat in their away game at Cambridge in September.

The confident approach adopted by County saw them knock Championship clubs Swansea City and Watford out of the Carabao Cup back in September.

Their reward was a home game against Newcastle United, and that one went all the way to penalties with the Magpies holding their nerve to take the win.

It was a record breaking start to the campaign, but things started to get a little bit stickier after their defeat up here at the beginning of the November.

They remained in touch with the top spots into 2021, but March was as mixed a bag of results as you could get, with a run of three wins bracketed by three defeats.

Into April and Good Friday saw them lose in dramatic fashion at Barrow before hosting in-form Bolton Wanderers on Easter Monday. Nicky Maynard scored the only goal of the game to give the exiles a just-about deserved win.

They remain hopeful of a play-off spot and Joss Labadie thought he'd more than helped that cause when he scored with just 15 minutes left to go at Mansfield on Friday night. Tyrese Sinclair had other ideas though, and he grabbed an equaliser as the clock tocked down, leaving the visitors with just the point to show for their efforts.


The almost ever-present Padraig Amond has eight goals from his 41 games played and he remains the proverbial pain in the backside with the way he plays his game.

He's admitted himself recently that he feels he should have more goals to his name, but he leads the line well and gives the defensive line plenty to think about whether he's on the scoresheet or not.

Having missed out in the more recent fixtures, he'll be chomping at the bit if he gets his recall tomorrow night.


Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through these unprecedented behind closed doors fixtures.

Match passes are available for ALL EFL league games during this restricted attendance period. Click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.

Our handy 'How To' guide for season ticket holders and match pass purchasers is HERE.

Over 1,000 supporters subscribe to view our home games and over 1,500 fans subscribe to this service for our away games - don't miss out ... sign up now to back the Blues!


These teams met in November 2020 with United breezing into a three-goal lead with goals from Lewis Alessandra and Jon Mellish (2). But it was to be a nervy ending as Jamie Devitt and Josh Sheehan bagged late strikes to keep things interesting.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The March 2020 trip to Brunton Park for Newport was the last fixture to be played bfore the Covid-19 lockdown was imposed later that week.

United were ahead with just five minutes on the clock when Omari Patrick nodded the ball into the net. JJ Kayode doubled the lead from the spot, and the night got worse for the visitors when Ryan Innis was sent off on the stroke of half time.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

We were down in Newport in October 2019 when a last-minute goal from George Nurse condemned the Blues to an away defeat.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Prior to that we came together at Rodney Parade in March 2019 and it turned out to be a day for the home side as Ade Azeez and Padraig Amond netted either side of the break to send the Blues home with nothing to show for their efforts.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Our meeting with the Exiles in November 2018 looked comfortable as Jamie Devitt netted twice to give the Blues a two-goal cushion. Padraig Amond had something to say about that as he pulled the visitors right back into it just before the break. Dan Butler thought he'd earned his side a point with just three minutes left to play, but Danny Grainger bagged himself a goal of the month award and a victory for his team with almost the last kick of the game.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Both of the 2017/18 season games were draws, with the December trip to Rodney Parade seeing the sides having to settle for a share of the spoils off the back of a 3-3 stalemate. Luke Joyce sparked a much better second half for United when he scored from very close range immediately after the break, but it was nip and tuck and strikes from Tom Miller and Kelvin Etuhu were needed to make sure Carlisle had something to show for their efforts.

Watch the highlights from that game here ...

The 17/18 league season ended when these two came together in May right here on our own patch. Mark Ellis put us ahead with less than a quarter of an hour gone, but Padraig Amond restored parity just before the break, and that was just about that as the teams played their way to full time and a well earned summer break.

Watch the highlights from that game here ...


Referee - Lee Swabey
Assistant Referee 1 - Mark Derrien
Assistant Referee 2 - James Vallance
Fourth Official - Ravel Cheosiaua
Observer - Rodger Gifford

Lee SwabeyOur referee for this game is Mr Lee Swabey. Lee has taken charge of 26 games so far this season showing 59 yellow cards and no reds.

He was the man in the middle for our 1-0 away win at Crewe in November 2018. A feisty game saw Jerry Yates, Anthony Gerrard, Richie Bennett and Jamie Devitt receive yellows for the Blues, but Devitt was later in the book for the right reasons when he notched the injury time winner.

Prior to that we last saw him for our away trip to Newport in December 2017. A thrilling encounter saw the sides eventually settle for a share of the spoils off the back of a 3-3 stalemate.

Luke Joyce sparked a much better second half for United, after the Exiles had taken the lead just before the break, when he scored from very close range.

But it was nip and tuck the rest of the way and strikes from Tom Miller and Kelvin Etuhu were needed to make sure Carlisle had something to show for their efforts. No Carlisle names were taken on the day.


This is a behind closed doors fixture. 

Please see above for details on how to purchase a live streaming match pass to see all of the action on iFollow.

Alternatively click HERE to go directly to our iFollow United information page where you can also purchase your match pass - match passes cost £10 per game.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Newport 0 - 0 United

Report from the Tuesday night game

13 April 2021

Midweek took United to Rodney Parade to face Newport County in the latest of the rearranged fixtures which have left the Blues with a packed itinerary.

The versatile Danny Devine was back into the starting eleven, with right back George Tanner taking a place on the bench. That was the only change from the starters at Barrow.

Newport attacked early with a long ball forward and Maynard took it on his chest with his back to goal. 22-yards out he tried his luck, but he couldn't keep it down.

Both teams tackled hard and kept it tight through the opening 10 minutes, but a clip forward from Lewis found Taylor on the rise. His cushioned nod down was struck by Maynard on the edge of the area, but Hayden closed in quickly.

United responded with a neat move which saw Armer find space on the left. He picked out Zanzala, and the striker looked for a shot as two defenders converged. It had power but Townsend dived to save it.

The Exiles looked to use the right wing as they pushed on in numbers and Shephard put a decent delivery into the mix when he found a yard. Devine got across Collins and that was enough to wrongfoot the forward as he miskicked and completely missed the ball.

It was end-to-end and the away side's turn to attack saw Guy feed Armer on the halfway line. He strode forward to strike it, but it was blocked at source.

United started to gain the upper hand and they came again as Patrick trapped a pass with Lewis at his back. He turned away, and Armer was in space once again as he moved on in support. There was a sight of goal but yet again the amber defensive wall did its job.

A cross into the Newport box from Riley needed to be cleared on 27 minutes but the connection from Labadie invited Guy to volley. He set himself, and he caught it cleanly, sending Townsend on a full length dive. The keeper was relieved to see the 28-yarder skip past his post.

More good work from United took Devine past Lewis as he won a 50:50 challenge. His cross was hooked away, but Riley took the throw for Hayden to contest. His header lacked the direction it needed.

The Cumbrians should have been in front on the half hour when Guy sent a beauty of a free kick into that undefendable zone between the keeper and his back line. Rod McDonald dived to meet it, but he somehow squeezed it past the target as he met it with a diving header from just five-yards out.

It was a good spell for the visitors and Alessandra did well when he recovered a header from Labadie. His cross from the corner flag found Hayden beyond the far stick, and the header was angling at the top corner until Townsend threw out a hand. That took it away from Zanzala, who was waiting on the line, and Patrick was then pulled up for a foul as he tried to win it back.

United had a goal chalked off for a foul on 40 minutes when Mellish and Alessandra opened up a gap for Armer to cross. The troublesome Zanzala was up with the keeper, but the referee blew as the net bugled when he indicated that a push had been used to take the stopper off-balance.

Carlisle were the team in the ascendancy and a patient build up was once again orchestrated by Alessandra. Devine arrived at the sprint, and his shot from distance almost became the perfect through ball. Bennett stuck a boot out to stop it just in the nick of time as both Zanzala and Patrick lurked.

Newport went close to making the Blues rue their misses in time added on for the half when Collins bundled his way along a 40-yard run to get into the area. Maynard crossed his path, and the striker was presented with a shooting opportunity, eight-yards out and at the angle of the six-yard area. Farman was off his line to close the space down and to make the much-needed block.

The pace of Patrick caused all kinds of problems with just seconds on the second half clock when he won a tussle of strength in the middle of park before showing a clean pair of heels. He bent his run at the nets but Shephard lunged to make a vital intervention as the trigger was pulled.

It was another very tight period of the game which followed, with no quarter given or received, but it was Carlisle who dominated the territory with the away area rarely troubled. 

But there was a shot from nowhere from Lewis on 60 minutes after a Taylor long throw had been cleared his way. It was a clean connection but it dipped late and bounced harmlessly on the roof of the net.

Another Taylor launch from the touchline found Bennett on the move, but Farman was well placed to pluck the tame header out of the air.

A miscued kick from keeper Towsend was controlled on the chest by Riley 35-yards out as the balance of play nipped and tucked. He checked one way, then ducked back, then popped it to Patrick, who was in space. He drilled it low, but it was dragged well wide.

Zanzala won a corner when he made a direct run into the area, only to be stopped by Collins. The away team regained possession from the clearance, and Patrick had a rasper ricochet wildly and into the area. It spun horribly, and Alessandra had to wait for it to settle before he could lift it over his shoulder to where his team mates were doing their thing. Once again, it just wouldn't settle, and another Patrick steamer was foiled.

The Exiles had half an opening when Taylor crossed, but Labadie swiped a poor attempt wide. Carlisle broke, with Alessandra protecting it inside the area. He fed it for Mellish to turn and strike, and Townsend could only parry as he saw it late. Zanzala was first to react, but he couldn't squeeze it past the challenge from Sheehan. Guy took the corner, but Patrick couldn't keep his instinctive effort on line.

United had another golden opportunity to take the lead on 79 minutes when Patrick showed strength and guile to ghost past his man tight by the touchline. He fizzed it low, and Zanzala stretched to try to get the decisive touch, right in front of the nets. It somehow made its way agonisingly under his boot.

Farman was in action at the other end when substitute Padraig Amond took the ball out of the air on his thigh. His second touch was a dipper of a volley, but the big keeper was across to beat it away.

There was a late scare in time added on when Ellison robbed possession off Devine deep inside visiting territory. He tried to play Amond through, but Farman committed to closing the space. The striker wheeled away to deliver the loose ball, but the defence had recovered to ease the tension.

Demetriou crashed one over the angle of post and bar as the seven minutes of added time were eaten away, when a long throw landed at his feet, and Patrick was thwarted once again when he tried to break through after Guy had floated a pass his way.

But the score sheet remained clean as Carlisle recorded their first 0-0 of the season despite it being a very good and entertaining encounter to watch.



Newport County - Dolan (55)

Carlisle United - Alessandra (24), Mellish (70)



Newport County - Townsend, Lewis, Demetriou, Dolan (Ellison 88), Shephard, Bennett, Labadie (c), Collins, Sheehan, Maynard (Amond 72), Taylor. Subs - King (gk), Longe-King, Ledley, Gambin, Telford.

Carlisle United - Farman, Devine, Hayden (c), McDonald, Armer, Riley, Mellish (Anderton 75), Guy, Patrick, Zanzala (Kayode 88), Alessandra. Subs - Norman (gk), Tanner, Furman, Toure, Walker.


Match Officials

Referee - Lee Swabey
Assistant Referee 1 - Mark Derrien
Assistant Referee 2 - James Vallance
Fourth Official - Ravel Cheosiaua
Observer - Rodger Gifford


Attendance - BCD

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account