Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 12:30 (UK)

Buy tickets
17 April 2021 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 12:30 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: The Valiants head to Brunton Park

United return to their home patch this weekend

16 April 2021

As a mark of respect to HRH Prince Philip, this game will kick off at the earlier time of 12.30pm on Saturday.


This game now kicks off at 12.30pm

It was a difficult start to 2021 for the Valiants as they parted company with manager John Askey, and his assistant Dave Kevan, early in January as they plunged to 17th spot after going six games without a win.

There was more upheaval when interim boss Danny Pugh tested positive for Covid-19 but, having recovered by the end of the month, he confirmed that he wasn't in the running for the job on a permanent basis.

David Flitcroft was appointed as the club's director of football at the beginning of February, and he moved quickly to secure the services of Darrell Clarke once a compensation package had been secured with Walsall.

Clarke, 43, has signed an initial deal until the summer of 2024. 

The Valiants were also part of football history on 5 April when Rebecca Welch became the first female official to take charge of a men's professional game. For the record, Dave Worrall and Kurtis Guthrie scored the goals that secured a 2-0 away win for Vale.


This game now kicks off at 12.30pm

In-form Port Vale were without a midweek fixture, so they head up the M6 with a six-game winning streak that has seen them surge their way away from the bottom reaches of the division.

They've conceded just two goals during that run, with their three April wins so far bringing three clean sheets.

Midfielder Dave Worrall has been in overdrive with his assists, notching up 11 as he continues to be a key player in their team.

who watch

This game now kicks off at 12.30pm

Port Vale have a good spread of goals throughout the squad, but Devante Rodney leads the way with 11 strikes.

A real handful, he's enjoying a good season and has been a key part of the recent good run.

He's our one to keep an eye on.

As for faces that will be more than familiar - David Amoo, Shaun Brisley, Mark Cullen, Luke Joyce and Harry McKirdy are all at Vale Park and will, no doubt, all be ready to make an impact, should they be selected.


This game now kicks off at 12.30pm

Click HERE to purchase a match pass which will allow you to watch this game in full HD via our streaming iFollow service.

With match commentary also provided by BBC Radio Cumbria, this is a fantastic way to follow your team through these unprecedented behind closed doors fixtures.

Match passes are available for ALL EFL league games during this restricted attendance period. Click HERE to find out more about this season’s iFollow United service.

Our handy 'How To' guide for season ticket holders and match pass purchasers is HERE.

Over 1,000 supporters subscribe to view our home games and over 1,500 fans subscribe to this service for our away games - don't miss out ... sign up now to back the Blues!


This game now kicks off at 12.30pm

The trip to Port Vale in October 2020 brought a 1-0 away win for the Blues courtesy of a second half goal from Jon Mellish.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

These sides met just once in the 2019/20 season as the Covid-19 outbreak wiped out their April meeting here at Brunton Park.

Vale took the honours at their place in November 2019 as Dave Worrall and Mark Cullen cancelled out a first minute strike from Ryan Loft.

Watch the highlights from that meeting here:

The last meeting between these teams prior to that was in January 2019 when United put the 10-man Valiants to the sword courtesy of a late goal from striker Connor Simpson.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

We were at Brunton Park in August 2018 when the Blues secured a 2-1 home victory. Goals either side of the break from Danny Grainger and Tom Parkes gave United a comfortable cushion, but Luke Hannant had hearts fluttering when he bagged a Valiant consolation with just two minutes left on the clock.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Back at Vale Park in March 2018 and second half goals from Ashley Nadesan and Hallam Hope handed the Blues a hard fought victory. Dior Angus had given the home side a first half lead, but Antony Kay was sent off for the hosts as tempers flared late in the game.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The Blues had made heavy weather of the game earlier in that season, just before Christmas, when they allowed Tyrone Barnett and Tom Pope to give the visitors an unexpected two-goal cushion. A late strike from Richie Bennett did little to prevent the away side from taking the spoils on the day.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


This game now kicks off at 12.30pm

Referee - Peter Wright
Assistant Referee 1 - Robert Atkin
Assistant Referee 2 - Ivan Stankovic
Fourth Official - Paul Newhouse
Observer - Mick Brown

Peter WrightOur official for this fixture is Mr Peter Wright

Mr Wright has taken charge of 28 games so far this season and has shown 85 yellow cards and three reds.

We saw Mr Wright in December 2020 when he came to Brunton Park for our 1-0 win over Mansfield. Omari Patrick scored our goal, but it was a busy day for bookings as Rhys Bennett, Paul Farman, Aaron Hayden, Jon Mellish and Joe Riley had their names taken.

Peter was our official at the beginning of the 2020/21 season when he took charge of the whistle for our trip to Glanford Park. A first half goal sunk the Blues, but there were no Carlisle names taken on the day.

He was also the referee just before the lockdown when we hosted Morecambe at Brunton Park. Cole Stockton and Aaron Wildig gave the visitors a two-goal lead, Omari Patrick struck back in time added on for the first half to get the Blues back into the game. Aaron Hayden completed the comeback midway through the second period. There were four yellows on the day, with Byron Webster, Elliot Watt and Nick Anderton going in the book for the hosts.

Prior to that we met up with him back in August 2019 when he was the man in the middle for our Carabao Cup game against Rochdale. Goals from Morley and Done in the first half left the Blues with a big job, but we lost 2-1 despite a decent spot kick finish from Jack Bridge. There were no Carlisle names taken on the night.

He made the step up from the national league for the 2018/19 season and we met him for the first time when he officiated our 1-0 away victory over Cheltenham in August 2018. Richie Bennett bagged the only goal of the game, just before the break, and Anthony Gerrard and Kelvin Etuhu had their names taken on the day.

His first visit to Brunton Park was for our 3-2 home defeat against MK Dons in March 2019. Stefan Scougall and Hallam Hope scored for the Blues and there were no Carlisle players booked that afternoon.


This game now kicks off at 12.30pm

This is a behind closed doors fixture. 

Please see above for details on how to purchase a live streaming match pass to see all of the action on iFollow.

Alternatively click HERE to go directly to our iFollow United information page where you can also purchase your match pass - match passes cost £10 per game.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 0 Vale

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

17 April 2021

United were unchanged from Tuesday night's impressive performance at Newport as the division's form team Port Vale came to town.

The Valiants were on a run of six victories, with United five games unbeaten, so it was always going to be an intriguing encounter.

Striker Lewis Alessandra made career appearance 500 - coincidentally his 50th league appearance for the club - having started his journey at Oldham as a teenager.

The Blues attacked the Warwick in the first half, and an early heavy tackle on Guy from Joyce handed the hosts a free kick 25-yards out with three minutes on the clock. The midfielder dusted himself down to go for goal, and he bent it round the wall, with pace, and keeper Scott Brown had to dive low to beat it away.

Hayden had to clear a looped cross from Gibbons when Vale got forward after a stagnant spell, and Mellish was on hand to help with the sweeping up of the bits.

The Blues probed at the other end when Alessandra threw long, and Hayden was able to head the ball back into the area as it came his way. It rolled out to Riley, but his effort was charged down. 

Another great ball into the mix followed from Riley, and Hayden and McDonald were both there to challenge. The offside flag was up before the move could develop.

Things became tight, but a raking pass from Alessandra to Patrick earned a corner as Montana got in the way. A short routine brought Riley into play, and his cross was cleared to Patrick. He volleyed, but the slightest of touches off Brisley took it wide.

Another good set piece brought a challenge from McDonald, and the ricochet sat up for Riley to strike. He kept it low from the edge of the area but it was just wide of the upright.

A miskick from Robinson as he raced towards the penalty spot at the other end greeted a drilled corner from Worrall, and McDonald covered until Mellish hooked it long and out of the red zone.

Guy picked out McDonald with another free kick from wide just past the half hour, but he was on the stretch as he jumped and it dropped harmlessly behind.

The Valiants had a real chance to take the lead when an inswinging corner was met by Brisley, just four-yards out. He put his laces through it and it sailed high over the bar.

An overlap from Rodney saw him take over from Robinson as Vale tried to increase the tempo, but his cut back was clipped by McDonald and then Mellish. Worrall picked it up with a corner, but Rodney was off target with a weak header.

United responded with a measured pass from Armer that was taken away from Patrick. But it was a poor clearance and Mellish was onto it sharply. He crossed early, but Smith cleared through his own legs as he lost his balance. The resulting corner saw Zanzala tussle with Montana, but the referee calmed things down with some stern words.

The Cumbrians were close just before the break when Armer used Alessandra and Guy to work space. His cross was perfect for Devine, who had arrived late with an intelligent run. His crunching header left Brown rooted, but it zipped just over the nets.

The second period started with a cross from Gibbons when he was picked out by Conlon, but McDonald did enough to avert the danger. Worrall took the corner, and it was McDonald again who did the defending. The ball was kept alive by Amoo, but Legge guided his header wide.

There was a real scramble in the Vale box as Armer opened things up with a neat through ball. It wouldn't quite settle for Patrick, or Mellish, and Devine was also denied a shooting opportunity when it came his way.

Kayode's long throw was an interesting addition to the attacking repertoire, but both defences were proving to be stubborn with very little in the way of clear-cut chances being given up.

But Farman was needed when Robinson let one fly from absolutely nowhere, when the ball span his way. 19-yards out he got it through legs, but the keeper was able to get a hand to it and palm it wide.

Guy had a 25-yarder smothered before it could trouble Brown midway through the half, and Patrick nearly put himself clean through when he stopped Brisley from clearing. Brown was alert and quickly out to cover.

The Valiants had a moment when a Worrall cross somehow wound its way to Gibbons. His instinctive poke was on target but Alessandra put his body in the way.

And Smith was next to go close as the visitors came again when a short set piece routine drifted into his path. He turned to shoot at close range but Hayden got enough of a touch to divert it away from the top corner.

Striker JJ Kayode launched another bullet of a throw into the box as the home team reasserted themselves, and the flick from Hayden dissected the defence. Toure was there but he couldn't make the connection it needed.

It was tense as the final 10 minutes saw the teams remain in deadlock, but a cross from Riley was begging to be finished off as it pinged around in the box. Toure stayed wide, and it came his way, but he decided to check back before taking the shot. That allowed the black shirts to close the door.

Alessandra tried his luck from distance just before the 90 was up, but it lacked power and Brown was comfortable with the catch.

Toure then delivered on the run, and Kayode was there, but he had his back to goal and he couldn't turn his boot enough to find a way through.

United had all of the possession in time added on, and Toure angled a run from wide to try to get into the area. Mellish crossed, as did Toure, and a corner was won as everyone camped forward.

Guy whipped it in, and it bounced awkwardly, asking to be finished off. The home attackers couldn't get there and that was the last chance of the day.



Carlisle United - Toure (86)

Port Vale - Worrall (52)



Carlisle United - Farman, Devine (Toure 68), Hayden (c), McDonald, Armer (Anderton 90), Riley, Guy, Mellish, Patrick (Tanner 68), Zanzala (Kayode 52), Alessandra. Subs - Norman, Furman, Walker.

Port Vale - Brown, Gibbons, Joyce, Legge, Smith, Worrall (Pope 90), Conlon (c), Montano (Amoo 46), Robinson (Cullen 76), Brisley, Rodney (McKirdy 75). Subs - Scott (gk), Burgess, Olagunju.


Match officials

Referee - Peter Wright
Assistant Referee 1 - Robert Atkin
Assistant Referee 2 - Ivan Stankovic
Fourth Official - Paul Newhouse
Observer - Mick Brown


Attendance - BCD

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account