Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

30 November 2019 Venue The New Lawn Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Second round FA Cup action on Saturday

United head to the New Lawn to face Forest Green Rovers

28 November 2019

Carlisle face Forest Green in the second round of the Emirates FA Cup competition on Saturday and they know they're in for a stiff test as they go up against one of League Two's high-flyers.

Joe MillsBoth teams had potential banana skins to deal with in round one, with Saturday's hosts making easy pickings of Billericay Town on their own patch. United, of course, kicked things off in the last round with a Friday night victory over Dulwich Hamlet in front of the TV cameras.

Forest Green have made themselves a tough team to beat this season, as demonstrated by the fact that they've lost just four games in the league so far, but they missed out on the chance of going top of the pile on Tuesday night when they were held to a goalless draw by Crewe.

They've lost just one of their last five games and in Joe Mills, Jack Aitchison, Matt Stevens and Ebou Adams they have a string of dangerous options when it comes to the attacking areas of the pitch. The quartet have bagged 18 goals between them.

An attractive style of football has been matched by a hard work ethic and the summer addtions have strengthened the squad, and they'll be looking to add a cup run to their early season claim to a top three place. 


From the head coach

Chris BeechSpeaking ahead of the game, Chris Beech said: “It’s a great way for me to start at this club. It’s a place I’ve never been to so I’m looking forward to seeing it for the first time.

"It’s a place I’ve missed out on with them being a little bit lower, but obviously they’re in the ascendancy now.

“The pitch will be brilliant, the opponents will be brilliant, so we’ll have to be extra brilliant to make sure we beat them. I know Coops, he’s a good lad, he’s been manager a long time, I have a lot of respect for Mark Cooper.

“Obviously we’d all enjoy a cup run. I want to go on one and I’m sure the Carlisle supporters and players do. But I’m sure everyone attached to Forest Green also wants that. That’s why we have to make sure we’re ready to fight and battle and play our game.”



  Carlisle wins Draws Forest Green wins
League 3 2 2
Total 3 2 2


Highlights from previous meetings

It was a stalemate here at Brunton Park when these sides met in league action in September. Chances came and went, but the feisty encounter went without goals as five players were booked and one sent off (James Morton).

Watch the highlights from that game here:

United came away from the New Lawn with a 1-1 draw in March this year, having largely dominated the game. Nathan Thomas bagged the goal, but there were a number of opportunities missed by the Blues as they battled, but ultimately failed, to take all three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was Rovers who took the honours when they came north in November, earlier in that season, with goals from Ben Morris and Carl Winchester giving them a two-goal cushion. A late penalty from Jamie Devitt gave the Blues some hope, but the away side held out to take all three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The December 2017 away trip to the New Lawn brought an early Christmas present for the Blue Army as Richie Bennett headed home what turned out to be the winner just before the half hour.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was the same scoreline here at Brunton Park in January 2018 with the only goal of the game coming in almost the same minute. This time it was Jamie Devitt who found the back of the net when he arrived late to smash a volley into the bottom corner as the ball fell nicely at his feet.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


The man in the middle

Trevor KettleOur referee for this game is Mr Trevor Kettle. Trevor has taken charge of 15 games so far this season and has shown 44 yellow cards and four reds.

He was last in charge of one of our games when we faced Colchester United at the Weston Homes in February last season. The U's equalised late in the day, after Hallam Hope had put the Blues ahead early in the second half, and Anthony Gerrard, Stefan Scougall and Mark Cullen all went into the official's notebook.

Prior to that he was our man in the middle for our trip to Coventry City at the Ricoh Arena in September 2017. Second half goals from Duckens Nazon and Peter Vincenti gave the Sky Blues a comfortable two-goal victory and Danny Grainger, Luke Joyce and Hallam Hope had their names taken on the day.

Referee - Trevor Kettle
Assistant Referee 1 - Steven Plane
Assistant Referee 2 - Darren Wilding
Fourth Official - Mark Derrien


Is that a fact?

Forest Green reached the final of the FA Trophy in 1999, making them the first side to reach the final of both the FA Trophy and the FA Vase.


Match tickets

Full match ticket details are HERE.

You can purchase your tickets online HERE.


iFollow the Blues

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Rovers 2 - 2 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

30 November 2019

Head coach Chris Beech took charge of his first game with the Blues on Saturday afternoon as they went up against Forest Green Rovers in the second round of this season's Emirates FA Cup competition.

Teenager Jarrad Branthwaite was missing through illness, and that meant a call-up to the starting eleven for Aaron Hayden.

Completing the trio of changes was Byron Webster for Jon Mellish and Stefan Scougall for Harry McKirdy.

United went with a 4-1-2-3 formation, with Carroll sat in front of the back four, and with Olomola given the central striking role.

It was a bright start from the visitors, as they pressed with Scougall and Olomola on the left flank, but things stayed tight as both teams defended well.

But disaster struck for the Blues on 11 minutes when the first meaningful attack of the day brought a cross from Bernard. Gethin Jones got there first, but the ball looped high into the air before dropping onto the bar. Collin tried to push it away but Collins steamed in to head the dropping ball into the net.

Rovers came again when Bernard overlapped and called for the ball. His cross was met by a leap from Stevens but he couldn't keep his 10-yard header on target.

Carlisle were a whisker away from drawing level on 18 minutes when Carroll came away with the ball in midfield. He used Loft, who needed just one touch before picking out Olomola on the edge of the area. The forward teased his marker before sending a low drive through his legs, and Wollacott was relieved to see it creep past his upright.

More good football from the visitors saw Thomas spin his man before releasing Olomola. He was forced wide, but the cut back was perfect for Mike Jones to strike. He seemed to hesitate but his 18-yard effort lacked the power it needed to really test the target.

It was United who looked the more likely to get the second goal of the day but they wasted another great opportunity when Thomas worked space for Iredale to cross. Olomola made a near post run but he got his bearings wrong and a heavy touch saw him send his volley into the stands.

But Forest Green found a way through on 35 minutes when Aitchison slipped the ball past Webster, with options either side. Shephard was beside him, and a neat lay-off invited the right back to shoot. Adam Collin pulled off a superb save, to push the thunderbolt onto the bar, and blue shirts were back in numbers to complete the clearance as it fell onto the sticky surface.

United got their goal on 40 minutes when Forest Green dithered when they should have cleared. Iredale robbed it and gave it to Thomas who was in acres of space. He took his man on, fed the ball onto his right foot and left Wollacott with no chance as he crunched it into the net via the underside of the bar.

Stopper Adam Collin was in action again when he dived at the feet of Matt Stevens to prevent him from converting a Shephard cross. The punch went as far as Aitchison, but his air shot took the pressure off the stretched defence.

Thomas was the hero at the other end in time added on for the period when he cleared a Stevens header from a Mills corner off the line, and the teams headed into the half time break with it all still to play for.

Aitchison rattled a volley wide just 25 seconds after the restart, and Carlisle had a moment when a Thomas corner was volleyed by Loft. The connection was untidy and Wollacott scooped it up easily.

Keeper Adam Collin showed his quality again as the second half battled to get going, when Collins twisted and turned his way into a shooting position. It took a wicked deflection but the stopper readjusted to make a fine block.

Rovers probed just after the hour, with Shephard sending one over the bar from wide, and Stevens wheeled away in disappointment when he skewed a shot into touch when it looked easier to test the nets.

But it was Carlisle who took the lead for the first time on the afternoon when Carroll sparked an attack after some wonderful play in midfield. His strength and poise released Hope, and his first-time delivery was met on the run by Thomas. Wollacott had no chance as a stinging volley bulged the net right in front of the away fans.

The lead was short-lived as the hosts whipped a set piece into the mix. It pinged around but Stevens kept his eye on it before toe-poking it towards the bottom corner. Gethin Jones stuck a boot out but his touch took it past a full length dive from Collin.

A late goalmouth scramble saw United block twice as Stevens and Rawson tried to finish off a pass from Collins, and Stevens was guilty of a terrible miss when he popped at free header straight at Collin. 

Both sides closed the door inside their resepctive penalty areas and they'll have it all to do again in 10 days time for the right to take the third round place.



Forest Green Rovers - Collins (11), G Jones OG (78)

Carlisle United - Thomas (40, 76)



Forest Green Rovers - Adams (53)

Carlisle United - G Jones (20), Webster (29), Thomas (76)



Forest Green Rovers - Wollacott, Shephard, Bernard (Grubb 85), Rawson, Winchester, Stevens, Collins, Adams (Dawson 69), Kitching, Mills (c), Aitchison (Mondal 65). Subs - Thomas (gk), Morton, McGinley, Taylor.

Carlisle United - Collin (c) (gk), G Jones, Hayden, Webster, Iredale (Mellish 83), M Jones, C Carroll, Scougall, Thomas, Loft (Hope 59), Olomola (McKirdy 75). Subs - Gray (gk), Bridge, Knight-Percival, Sagaf.


Match officials

Referee - Trevor Kettle
Assistant Referee 1 - Steven Plane
Assistant Referee 2 - Darren Wilding
Fourth Official - Mark Derrien


Attendance - 1,504 (228 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account