Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

28 January 2020 Venue The New Lawn Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: United do battle with Forest Green for a fourth time this season

The Blues and the Greens meet again

27 January 2020

With two draws and a win for United from their previous three meetings with Forest Green over the course of the first half of the season the away side will be looking to claim the points and add to the tally as they come together once again on Tuesday night.

Joe MillsThe FA Cup encounter in November needed a replay as the teams battled out a 2-2 draw at the New Lawn, with Nathan Thomas the United headline maker with a stunning brace on the day.

A first goal for the club from Aaron Hayden was enough to take Carlisle through to the third round in December's replay here at Brunton Park as the Blues won the tie by the solitary goal.

Back in September the league fixture had seen the teams slug out a 0-0 draw with chances coming and going at both ends.

Forest Green have found results tougher to come by this month, with just four points from a possible 15. They came from a thrilling 4-3 away victory at Mansfield and a 1-1 away draw at Crawley. Both home games (Salford and Exeter) were lost, and Saturday brought more disappointment when they went down 2-1 at Macclesfield, despite having bagged an early first goal of the game.

Stubborn in defence, with just 27 goals conceded, they still harbour hopes of at least a play-off spot as they sit just two points outside the top seven places.

Joe Mills is a real danger, with eight goals and six assists to his name, but they are a team with a number of dangerous options when it comes to the final third. Jack Aitchison, Matt Stevens, Aaron Collins and Ebou Adams have bagged another 17 goals between them.


From the head coach

Chris BeechSpeaking ahead of the game, Chris Beech said: "We've played them recently but this is a completely different game. 

"They've made a few additions, but Mark Cooper has been at the job for five or six years now and I don't think he'll change the way he does things too much.

"He's got them organised and good at what they do, but we'll prepare the right way. We've seen improvements from our players over the time I've been here but I still want more, and that includes building on the positives we produce in the next game and the next game.

"We've had two good games with them but you can't take that as a guarantee of anything. You only get your rewards through hard work and that's what we'll need again on Tuesday night."

Fancy a flutter on the game? Bet responsibly with our official betting partner and title sponsor Sky Bet by clicking HERE.



  Carlisle wins Draws Forest Green wins
League 3 2 2
FA Cup 1 1 0
Total 4 3 2


Highlights from previous meetings

December 2019's FA Cup second round replay went the way of the Blues courtesy of a first-ever goal for the club for big defender Aaron Hayden. It was nip and tuck, but Carlisle went through to face Championship side Cardiff City in the third round.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

United had to come from behind when Aaron Collins netted with just 10 minutes on the clock at Nailsworth in the November 2019 second round FA Cup clash. Goals either side of the break from Nathan Thomas put the Cumbrians in the ascendency, but an own goal from Gethin Jones just two minutes after Thomas had bagged his second left the teams with it all to do again as the game ended 2-2.

Unfortunately we do not hold the rights to the first round match footage.

It was a stalemate here at Brunton Park when these sides met in league action in September 2019. Chances came and went, but the feisty encounter went without goals as five players were booked and one sent off (James Morton).

Watch the highlights from that game here:

United came away from the New Lawn with a 1-1 draw in March 2019, having largely dominated the game. Nathan Thomas bagged the goal, but there were a number of opportunities missed by the Blues as they battled, but ultimately failed, to take all three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was Rovers who took the honours when they came north in November 2018, earlier in that season, with goals from Ben Morris and Carl Winchester giving them a two-goal cushion. A late penalty from Jamie Devitt gave the Blues some hope, but the away side held out to take all three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The December 2017 away trip to the New Lawn brought an early Christmas present for the Blue Army as Richie Bennett headed home what turned out to be the winner just before the half hour.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was the same scoreline here at Brunton Park in January 2018 with the only goal of the game coming in almost the same minute. This time it was Jamie Devitt who found the back of the net when he arrived late to smash a volley into the bottom corner as the ball fell nicely at his feet.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


The man in the middle

Brett HuxtableOur referee for this game is Mr Brett Huxtable. He has taken charge of 22 games so far this season showing 82 yellow cards and three reds.

The last time we had Brett as our man in the middle was way back in April 2018 at the County Ground in Swindon. The game was a 0-0 draw and Jamie Devitt and Ashley nadesan had their names taken on the day.

Prior to that he took charge of our 2-2 draw with Chesterfield in October 2017. Danny Grainger and Richie Bennett bagged our goals and Grainger had his name taken, along with Gary Liddle.

Referee - Brett Huxtable
Assistant Referee 1 - Darren Wilding
Assistant Referee 2 - Justin Amey
Fourth Official - Christopher Wade


Is that a fact?

Forest Green reached the final of the FA Trophy in 1999, making them the first side to reach the final of both the FA Trophy and the FA Vase.


Match tickets

Full match ticket details are HERE.

You can purchase your tickets online HERE.


iFollow the Blues

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

This game is available to stream live via the video match pass service. Click HERE to purchase the match pass to watch the game, as it happens, on your chosen device.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Forest Green 1 - 4 United

Report from the Tuesday night away game

28 January 2020

United and Forest Green met for a fourth time this season as the sides went head-to-head at the New Lawn on Tuesday night.

It was a 0-0 draw at Brunton Park for the September league meeting, and a brace from winger Nathan Thomas earned United an FA Cup draw when Chris Beech took charge for the first time two months later. An own goal and a strike from Aaron Collins brought Rovers back to Carlisle for the replay.

That went the way of the Cumbrians when Aaron Hayden bagged his first goal for the club, so it was two draws and a victory for the away side to build on in their latest encounter.

Carlisle made two changes from their weekend home victory with Jack Bridge in for Stefan Scougall and Josh Kayode made his first start in place of Ryan Loft.

It was a freezing cold January night and the game took a while to get going as the sides battled it out in midfield. The first chance came for the hosts when a low free kick from Winchester was put behind to safety. The corner picked out Collins at the back stick but his downward header from eight yards was blocked by two United defenders. A brief scramble was followed by a hooked clearance.

Forest came again on 10 minutes with a one-touch move through midfield. Hall eventually picked it up but his shot was weak as he dropped a shoulder and let fly from the edge of the area.

Carlisle kept their shape well but they had to defend again when a raking crossfield pass took Shephard to the corner flag. He spotted Hall in space, and he quickly fed it to Collins who was steaming towards the penalty area. His snaphot was on target but Collin was able to snap it up comfortably.

United started to get into it and they were close when Bridge did well to rob possession halfway inside the home half. He took his man on then turned to roll it back for Gethin Jones to shoot. It was a tight angle but Logan had to dive smartly to make the save.

The Blues came again moments later when Kayode showed strength to force Bernard off the ball. Bridge and Gethin Jones exchanged snappy passes, and Nathan Thomas continued his habit of scoring against Rovers as he did enough to bundle the ball over the line from close range.

And the lead was doubled just three minutes later when Thomas picked up on a loose pass on the halfway line. He set off on a run and left Logan with no chance as he rattled a beauty of a strike into the top corner from distance.

Rob Hall tried to return the favour at the other end with a rasping drive which swirled as it headed for the roof of the net. Collin did well to get both hands on it to push it over the bar.

Hall was dangerous again when he took a quick throw on his instep before sending it low and hard into the box. Collins and Winchester threw themselves at it but they failed to get a touch and Collin was able to calm things down once again.

Carlisle stayed on top as they controlled the pace of the first half and Watt was unklucky to see a shot from distance rise high following another intricate piece of approach play.

An unforced error from Kitching saw Kayode take the ball off his toe, as the clock ticked into time added on for the half, but the shot was blocked as the United striker bore down on goal.

Just 20 seconds into the second half and Carlisle had a penalty as Alessandra was toppled in the box. Nathan Thomas bagged his hat-trick with an emphatic spot kick finish.

It was almost 4-0 just 60 seconds later when Alessandra found himself with just one man to beat. He did that, but Logan did well to make an initial save. Alessandra was first to the rebound, and he was left frustrated as a lovely chip came back off the upright. The ball was hooked behind for a corner, but that led to more problems for Rovers as they failed to clear. Youngster Josh Kayode marked his debut with a crunching close-range toe poke which flew past the stranded stopper.

United looked like scoring with every forward movement and Bridge put a superb cross across the face of goal as he was next to find space. It just needed a touch but Kayode couldn't quite get there.

Defence was turned into attack for the away side as a long kick from Collin was touched on by Kayode. Thomas was suddenly clean through but Logan spread himself to stop the winger from making it four for the night.

The hosts were awarded a spot kick on 59 minutes, for a foul by Hayden on Stevens, and captain Carl Winchester bulged the back of the net, albeit with a little bit of lady luck included as it hit Collin's legs before going over the line.

The Cumbrians continued to probe and a lovely chipped delivery from Alessandra found Bridge on the run at the back post. He was a whisker away from nodding it home.

Carlisle were denied what looked a definite penalty following another exciting piece of passing football. Kayode linked with Bridge, and he burned his man as he sprinted to the byline. A cut back was set up for Thomas to finish but he appeared to be pushed to the floor before he could pull the trigger. The referee waved play on as the away contingent continued to ask the question.

Excellent defending from Hunt prevented Forest from grabbing their second as he got there under pressure from two strikers to head a cross from Frear to safety. Collin followed it up with a punch and a save low down to his left as March tried to squeeze one in.

Collin made another double save in time added on, as he first stopped a whipped cross and then smothered the follow up shot, and Stevens missed a great chance to make the score more respectable with almost the last kick of the game. He pounced on an error but Collin made another wonder save to tip the clipped shot wide as the striker came through one-on-one.



Forest Green Rovers - Winchester (pen 59)

Carlisle United - Thomas (23, 26, 47 pen), Kayode (49)



Forest Green Rovers - Adams (84)

Carlisle United - Hayden (31), Anderton (55), Watt (83)



Forest Green Rovers - Logan (gk), Shephard (Bernard 17), Mills, Rawson, Winchester (c), Collins (Frear 46), Adams, Hall (Stevens 57), Kitching, March, Bailey. Subs - Thomas (gk), Williams, Dawson, Aitchison.

Carlisle United - Collin (gk)(c), G Jones, Webster, Hayden (Hunt 60), Anderton, Thomas, Watt, M Jones, Bridge, Alessandra (Scougall 73), Kayode (Loft 81). Subs - Gray (gk), Iredale, Charters, Sagaf.


Match officials

Referee - Brett Huxtable
Assistant Referee 1 - Darren Wilding
Assistant Referee 2 - Justin Amey
Fourth Official - Christopher Wade


Attendance - 1,540 (97 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account