Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
11 January 2020 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Plymouth head north at the weekend

The Blues face the Pilgrims on Saturday

9 January 2020

It's the longest trip of the season for Plymouth - and away fans are warned that the M6 faces a closure from 8pm on Friday night [10 January] all the way through to Monday morning, which makes getting to Brunton Park on Saturday slightly more difficult for all concerned.

Please follow the matrix signs on the M6 for advice on diversions and alternative routes.

The Pilgrims currently occupy sixth place in League Two and with one or even two games in hand on most of their closest rivals they sit nicely poised to make a 2020 second-half-of-the-season promotion charge.

Having said that, they suffered a blip on New Year's Day with a defeat at home to table-toppers Swindon, but they quickly bounced back when they went up to Scunthorpe last Saturday, where they secured a comfortable 3-1 victory.

That win meant they had taken 12 points from an available 15 through the festive fixtures and were catapulted right back into the hunt for an automatic spot.

Star man Antoni Sarcevic has six goals and four assists to his name, but there has been an even spread of goals across the squad from what is a very potent attacking outfit. Callum McFadzean has five, Joel Grant has four, and Joe Edwards, Byron Moore, Ryan Taylor and Dominic Taylor all have three-a-piece.

Our meeting at Home Park in October went the way of the hosts as Joel Grant gave his side the lead midway through the first half. The points were sealed in time added on for the game when Sarcevic smashed one into the net with almost the last kick of the game.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Manager’s thoughts ...

Chris BeechSpeaking ahead of the game, head coach Chris Beech said: "This game represents an opportunity to turn our attentions back to league business. Ryan Lowe brings a Plymouth side packed with quality and options, he knows the league inside and out having achieved success beforehand with Bury, so this won’t be easy.

"It will be a real test for us, both sides are in pursuit of the points for different reasons and that always makes for a competitive affair. 

"One thing’s for sure, as we move through January the league form for a lot of clubs starts to become inconsistent, sides start to gain points, drop points and unexpected results turn up at close of business on a Saturday afternoon, and bottom often beats top.

"From a coaching perspective we’re under way with implementing more of how I want us to play. It was really pleasing to see some of the work we’re doing on the training ground take shape during last Saturday’s game.

"We had more players in the opposition box, more waves of attack in the final third, intricate one-two passing sequences taking place in the opposition penalty area between midfield and attack – these are all good signs for us going forward and I want to see more of the same this weekend."

Fancy a flutter on the game? Bet responsibly with our official betting partner and title sponsor Sky Bet by clicking HERE.


Head to Head

The sides have met on a total of 40 occasions over the years with a fairly even split of 14 victories to United and 18 to Argyle.

  Carlisle wins Draws Plymouth wins
League 13 8 18
FA Cup 1 0 0
Total 14 8 18

Our last league meeting prior to this season was at Home Park in March 2017 when Graham Carey and former-Blue Jake Jervis scored first half goals to secure the points for the home side.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Plymouth were at Brunton Park in the August of that season, and it was the Blues who took the spoils on that occasion as Reggie Lambe bagged the only goal of the game.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Man in the middle

Martin CoyThe referee for this game is Mr Martin Coy. Martin has taken charge of 19 games so far this season and has shown 62 yellow cards and two reds.

This is the second time he's taken charge of a Carlisle game this campaign - his first coming in our 2-1 defeat at the hands of Port Vale back in November. Ryan Loft put us ahead with just one minute on the clock, but second half goals from Worrall and Cullen took the points the way of the hosts. Loft and Canice Carroll had their names taken on the day.

We saw him twice in the 2018/19 season, with our first meeting for the home defeat against Grimsby in October. The goal came in the first half from Luke Hendrie, but there were no United names entered into the book.

He was back here a month later for the 1-1 Checkatrade Trophy meeting with Stoke City under-21s. Jack Sowerby scored the goal and Gary Liddle was shown a yellow card. 

He was with us three times during the 2017/18 season, with his first visit up north coming in August 2017 for our 3-0 home victory over Cheltenham. Tom Miller and Reggie Lambe added to a fifth minute own goal from Harry Pell, and Mark Ellis was the only Carlisle booking on the day.

We saw him again for our November Checkatrade Trophy group game against Fleetwood, where a certain Jack Sowerby opened the scoring on the night. Wes Burns doubled the lead just before half time, and a late Shaun Miller goal did little to affect the outcome as the visitors took the win come full time. Tom Miller and Jamie Devitt received yellow cards that night.

His last trip to Brunton Park during that campaign was for our 2-2 draw with Crawley in March. Richie Bennett and Hallam Hope appeared to have done the job with goals to give us a 2-0 lead, but the Red Devils recovered and claimed their point courtesy of a brace from Kalen Grant. United names taken were Clint Hill, Hallam Hope and Tom Parkes.

Referee - Martin Coy
Assistant Referee 1 - Paul Newhouse
Assistant Referee 2 - Gary Hilton
Fourth Official - Chris Isherwood


Ticket information

Click HERE for full ticket information.

Click HERE to purchase your tickets online.


iFollow United ... do you?

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 3 Plymouth

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

11 January 2020

It was back to league action for United on Saturday afternoon as they welcomed Plymouth Argyle to Brunton Park for what was the longest trip of the season for the visitors.

United were on a run of just two defeats in their previous nine outings and with a solid and eye-catching away performance against Cardiff City still fresh in the memory.

Boss Chris Beech stuck with the same starting eleven from that FA Cup encounter, with new arrival Max Hunt named on the bench just 24-hours after putting pen-to-paper on an 18-month deal.

The weather conditions were horrendous, with the county battered by wind and rain, and it took a while for the game to settle into a rhythm as both sets of players came to terms with it.

It was Carlisle who created the first chance of the day when Hope controlled a high ball over the top inside the area. His touch brought Nathan Thomas into play, and Palmer had to dive low to save the shot which came from the edge of the box. 

The Pilgrims probed at the Carlisle box on 10 minutes as they moved the ball with neat, one-touch passes. The defence refused to buckle and the eventual punt from Bakinson was blocked and easily cleared.

Collin was needed moments later when Jephcott went on a charge from deep. He used Moore for the one-two and that opened things up for a shot. He tried to place it but Collin got across to make an excellent save.

A winding run from Mayor was shadowed by Elliot Watt, making his home debut, and the midfielder's attentions were much-needed as he slid in to make a timely challenge just as the trigger was about to be pulled.

The Cumbrians tested the away back line with crosses, and Plymouth did the same as the pace of the game picked up.

Referee Martin Coy ignored appeals for a penalty on 20 minutes, when Jephcott went down inside the area, and Wootton had to head clear when the hosts broke with Hope set to beat the offside trap.

Half chances and nearly moments came at both ends, with neither target or keeper truly troubled through what was a tight period of the game. But the Blues were undone just after the half-hour when Moore overlapped on the right flank. His fizzed delivery was met by Luke Jephcott who rattled it home from close range.

Carlisle looked for an immediate response and McKirdy had three defenders around him as he put his head down and angled for the area. He let one fly on the run but it was always heading wide.

A wild shot from George Cooper flew into the Warwick when he was pushed wide by Hayden, after Moore and Jephcott had moved the ball quickly, and Collin had to parry from a fierce strike from Sarcevic when the striker found the ball at his feet just 10-yards out. The follow up from Moore was diverted behind when Webster lunged in to get his body in the way.

Webster blocked again when George Cooper put his laces through another thunderbolt just before the break, and that sparked a home attack which took Mike Jones onto the right flank. He dropped a shoulder and chopped at the ball but his effort curled away from the bottom corner.

Stefan Scougall replaced Jack Bridge for the start of the second half and he was involved immediately as he played his part in a determined attack. It nearly opened up for Hope as Hayden crossed, and Plymouth had to scramble to get it clear as blue shirts converged.

But it was the green shirts who celebrated on 49 minutes when Moore found space before slotting a precise pass through to Jephcott. He doubled his account for the day as he crunched an unstoppable effort into the net.

A low ball across the face of goal from Edwards looked inviting for the away side, but Collin was able to allow it to pass by as the strikers stayed on their heels.

A rasping low drive from Mike Jones looked to have brought the hosts right back into it on the hour mark, but Palmer was down to parry as he saw it late. Winger Harry McKirdy had done the leg work to make the opening, and Jones was disappointed to see the effort run to safety.

Gethin Jones did well to beat his man and deliver as the Blues picked up the pace once again, but Palmer plucked the cross out of the sky before Hope could pounce. A volley from McKirdy spun inside the area moments later, and Hope was a whisker away once again from applying a touch when Jones put another cross in.

It was good from United and Hope must have felt it wasn't his day as he wound up another piledriver when Loft poked the ball his way. A block from Wootton took it high into the stands.

Hope then sprinted clear to send the ball low for Loft to chase, but the assistant referee waved for a foul as Carlisle's forward clashed with the advancing keeper.

Plymouth substitute Ryan Hardie almost scored with his first touch of the game as he got across his man to clip a delivery from Edwards at the nets. Collin saved it, and Hardie was frustrated as he found the post with a hurried follow up.

The Pilgrims made the points secure with 15 minutes left to play when debut boy Hardie carried the ball forward on the break. He bided his time and stroked a powerful punt past Collin.

Loft headed over on the stretch as Carlisle kept going, and a good opportunity was missed when McKirdy got on the end of a cross from the right as it skipped awkwardly off the surface. His header had Palmer beaten but it was hooked over the bar before it could be helped over the line.

Aaron Hayden was sent off for a second reckless challenge in time added on, and United were left to lick their woulds after a difficult day at the office.



Plymouth Argyle - Jephcott (32, 49), Hardie (75)



Carlisle United - Hayden (84 & 90 - sent off)

Plymouth Argyle - Bakinson (74)



Carlisle United - Collin (gk)(c), Hayden, Webster, Mellish, G Jones, McKirdy, M Jones, Watt, Bridge (Scougall 46), Thomas (Loft 52), Hope. Subs - Gray (gk), Iredale, Charters, Olomola, Hunt.

Plymouth Argyle - Palmer (gk), Sawyer (c), Wootton, Canavan, Sarcevic (J Grant 79), Edwards (Riley 88), Mayor, Bakinson, Moore, Jephcott, G Cooper (Hardie 71). Subs - M Cooper (gk), C Grant, Lolos, Randell.


Match officials

Referee - Martin Coy
Assistant Referee 1 - Paul Newhouse
Assistant Referee 2 - Gary Hilton
Fourth Official - Chris Isherwood


Attendance - 4,212 (567 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account