Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

15 February 2020 Venue The People's Pension Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Crawley 0 - 0 United

Report from the Saturday afternoon away game

15 February 2020

It was one of the longest trips of the season for the Blue Army on Saturday afternoon as they headed round the M25 to windswept Crawley.

And head coach Chris Beech was forced to make one change following Tuesday night's injury to Callum Guy, with Jon Mellish stepping into the midfield berth having played extremely well in that position during a midweek reserve game.

There was an early scare for the Blues when Camara came out of midfield with the ball at his feet. He spread it to Grego-Cox, and a fierce shot from the angle was parried by Collin. Striker Ashley Nadesan bore down on it to try to put it away but the offside flag had already been raised.

United responded with a long throw from Alessandra which was flicked on at the near post by Hayden. Tunnicliffe headed it clear, and Doherty helped it on its way before Gethin Jones could make anything of it.

Crawley were close again on seven minutes when a lobbed ball forward caught in the wind. It was difficult for Webster, as it spun awkwardly off the surface, and Nadesan skipped in to take it under control. His low shot had Collin beaten but the keeper was relieved to see it smash back off the base of the post.

Carlisle fashioned a superb chance of their own when Patrick worked hard to keep a fizzed pass under his control inside the centre circle. He turned his man and fed it to Watt, and a measured through ball from him found Mellish in an advanced position. He let fly from 16-yards but it was always rising high.

It was better from United as they started to settle and Thomas wound his way into the area with three defenders around him. He dropped a shoulder and went for the shot, but that curled rapidly into the side netting.

A break from a corner by Patrick saw him carry the ball all of 70 yards, with Mellish and Mike Jones in close attendance. The final pass lacked a little bit of quality and Morris was able to step forward and scoop it up.

It was United asking the questions and a quick throw from Gethin Jones found Alessandra in a good area. He used Mellish, who clipped it back to Jones, and his cut back found the mobile Alessandra unmarked. The 12-yard volley was crisp but, again, it didn't quite have the right direction or bearings.

There was still defending to do for the Blues and Grego-Cox found space to cause problems as he pulled wide. He spotted Palmer on the run, but the striker got the ball stuck under his feet just as he shaped to shoot. A toe poke under pressure did little to trouble Adam Collin.

Crawley had more than half a sight moments later when left back Josh Doherty supported the attack. A near post delivery was met by Nadesan and his touch shaved the outside of the post as it flew narrowly wide.

It was a very entertaining encounter and Mellish, heavily involved through the first half hour, got forward again when his cross was blocked. Alessandra stepped onto it and his shot had to be watched closely by Morris.

Adam Collin needed to be at his best with ten minutes to go in the first half when Camara got on the end of a half clearance from a free kick. It was heading into the roof of the net until the stopper got his fingertips there to tip it over.

Patient and calculated approach play saw Alessandra and Watt weave their way down the left wing as they pulled the defence this way and that. It was Alessandra who eventually found the cross, but it dipped in the wind as Mike Jones threw himself at the header. It came off his knee, spooned up into the air, and Morris was comfortable as he plucked it out of the sky.

Carlisle were even closer just before the break when Thomas ghosted past two challenges on his way into the area. His low shot was stopped by a diving hand from Morris, and Alessandra was disappointed when his volley off the rebound went high into the stands, as he had to react quickly to try to make something of it. 

Crawley found themselves with a one-on-one opportunity from the second half kick off when a messy piece of play in midfield saw Ferguson send Nadesan clean through. Collin narrowed the angles and made a full length diving save when the shot came across his body from the angle.

Collin had to show safe hands again when Grego-Cox shot through bodies moments later, but it was the away side who had their heads in their hands when Thomas flicked on the afterburners to get into a dangerous position. His precise cut back was met on the full by Mellish, but an unbelievable block on the line from Tunnicliffe prevented what was a certain goal.

There was almost an exact repeat of the earlier miss for the away side when Thomas once again left red shirts in his wake. He went for a shot, and the parry from that rifled at Mellish as he tried to readjust. It hit his shins and Morris was able to recover.

A lightning quick break from a bossy Carlisle outfit saw Watt and Thomas lead the charge. Patrick was also involved, but more last-ditch defending thwarted the moment.

For all of the forward momentum from the visitors, Crawley were close when Nadesan stood tall before sending Palmer on the overlap. His cross hit Anderton, and Collin did well to push the deflection away as it crept towards the nets.

Watt and Thomas sent efforts over in quick succession as the Blues continued to probe, and a shot on the run from Thomas took a deflection as a wild swing of the boot from Tunnicliffe edged the ball towards the slips. Morris concentrated and did his job well.

United continued to look the more likely, but Morris found shots heading down his throat as Watt and Jones continued to test the target. And tenacious work from Thomas created another opening when he wriggled away, having been dumped on the floor, before sending it across the face of goal. All it needed was a touch, but it carried on unhindered.

There was a late deflected shot from Thomas which edged just wide in time added on, but the wind grew in strength and the chances started to dry up as the pitch became more and more difficult to play, and United had to settle for a share of the spoils as they pondered their missed chances.



Crawley Town - Tunnicliffe (62)

Carlisle United - Webster (35), Anderton (66), Hayden (85)



Crawley Town - Morris (gk), Doherty, Grego-Cox, Palmer, Nadesan, Ferguson (Allarakhia 79), Francomb (c), Tunnicliffe,, Sendles-White, Dacres-Cogley, Camara (Lubala 59). Subs - McGill (gk), Bloomfield, Powell, Adebowale.

Carlisle United - Collin (gk)(c), G Jones, Webster, Hayden, Anderton, Thomas, M Jones (Charters 80), Watt, Mellish, Alessandra (Scougall 87), Patrick. Subs - Gray (gk), Iredale, Bridge, Loft, Hunt.


Match officials

Referee - David Rock
Assistant Referee 1 - Daniel Cook
Assistant Referee 2 - Samuel Ogles
Fourth Official - Mike Desborough


Attendance - 2,114 (263 away fans)

Advertisement block

Ticket News

AWAY DAYS: Ticket information for the Crawley away game

Prices and dates of sale

2 February 2020

United make the long trip to Crawley midway through February as the busy run of fixtures continues.

Crawley Ticket office will be selling tickets on the day of the match - they will accept cash and card payments.

Ticket prices will not increase on the match day.

Dates of sale:



Monday 3 February

10am to 5pm

Tuesday 4 February

10am to 5pm

Wednesday 5 February

10am to 5pm

Thursday 6 February

10am to 5pm

Friday 7 February

10am to 5pm

Saturday 8 February

10am to 2.30pm

Saturday 8 February

4.45pm to 5.15pm

Sunday 9 February


Monday 10 February

10am to 5pm

Tuesday 11 February

10am to 5pm

Wednesday 12 February

10am to 5pm

Thursday 13 February

10am to 4pm




Senior 65+


Under 21


Under 18


Under 16


Under 11

FoC with paying adult

Disabled info - please contact Crawley Football Club for information on disabled / carer tickets on 01293 410 000.


Methods of purchase:

In person – come to the main ticket office in the Pioneer Stand at the designated time. Ticket sales on home match days will be from the West Stand ticket office. 
Phone – ring the ticket office on 0330 094 5930 at the designated times and pay with a credit / debit card. Calls to this line are charged at 7p per minute from a landline. Mobile charges may vary.
Internet – click HERE and follow the online instructions.
Please note - to post tickets out to customers who have purchased over the telephone there is an additional charge of 75p. The last day tickets will be posted is 5pm on Wednesday 12 February.
Bus Travel
For further information on travel, contact the following:
Carlisle United Supporters' Group Away Travel: 07563 700 987. 
Click HERE for more information on booking and departure times. 

Route A66 West Cumbrian Travel: 07825 840 123

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account