Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
14 December 2019 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: A look ahead to the weekend visit of the Mariners

Grimsby head to Carlisle

12 December 2019

Games tend to be tight when these sides go head-to-head and, with both teams looking for the points, we expect it to be no different this Saturday.

Jordan CookThe Mariners recently parted company with boss Michael Jolley as a worrying run saw them tumble down the League Two table.

That run has seen their league spell extend to seven games without a win, as they also find goals hard to come by.

It's some 407 minutes since they last found the back of the net, but in James Hanson [5], former-Blue Jordan Cook [3], Matt Green [3] and Ethan Robson [3] they have creative players who can add to the tally at any given moment. 

Just one defeat from their first seven games in all competitions at the start of this season suggests that Grimsby don't have too much work to do to turn things round, and they'll be looking to start to set things right when they head to Brunton Park on Saturday.


From the head coach ...

Chris BeechSpeaking ahead of the game, United boss Chris Beech said: "We know full well the threats that Grimsby can bring because they have some very good players in that dressing room.

"They'll be really disappointed with the run they've been on and I'm sure they'll see every game as an opportunity to start to get their season going again.

"We have to be aware of that, but we have to go into the game with the determination to deal with what they'll do at the same time as we look to dominate the possession and take the game to them.

"It'll be a tough game because nobody ever rolls over at this level. We're in a division where any team can take a win against any other team on any given day.

"It's when you find the consistency that you start to make inroads into the league table, and that's what we're looking to kick-start at the weekend."

Fancy a flutter on the game? Bet responsibly with our official betting partner and title sponsor Sky Bet by clicking HERE.


Did You Know?

+ Traditionally, Grimsby were one of only two teams (the other being Hull City) who were allowed to play on Christmas Day due to the local fishing trade. The tradition has now disappeared.

+ In Grimsby’s 1939 FA Cup semi-final they were forced to play with an outfield player in goal for most of the match after stopper George Moulson picked up an injury, with rules forbidding substitutes for injuries.

Bill Shankly

+ Ex-Carlisle boss Bill Shankly managed at Blundell Park after he left the Cumbrians, before resigning in 1954 due to a lack of ambition from the board.


Head to Head

These two sides have met on a total of 46 occasions over the years - spanning all the way back to the 1907/08 campaign when the Mariners registered a 6-2 FA Cup home victory over the fledgling Blues.

Grimsby hold the bragging rights by some considerable margin, with 24 victories compared to United's 11. 

  Carlisle wins Draws Grimsby wins
League 9 8 19
FA Cup 0 1 2
Cup 1 0 0
League Cup 1 2 3
Total 11 11 24

The last time the teams met was at Blundell Park on a sunny April day towards the end of last season. It looked to be heading to a draw until Joe Grayson grabbed a winner deep into time added on.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

United were left empty-handed at Brunton Park in October earlier in the season as a first half goal from Luke Hendrie proved to be enough to take the spoils. The Blues had chances, but it wasn't their night as the visitors shut up shop to frustrate the home crowd.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Our November 2017 trip to Blundell Park saw United give as good as they got in a tight game. Grimsby shaded the first half with the woodwork and some heroics from Jack Bonham to thank for a clean sheet. The deadlock was eventually broken when defender Clint Hill got on the end of a superb cross from Gary Liddle. 

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Things were more comfortable in the home game with Hallam Hope opening the scoring with just three minutes on the clock. It was the perfect thank you to the fans who had turned up as early as 8am on match day to help to clear snow from the pitch, and the surrounding areas, to allow the game to go ahead. Mark Ellis secured the points with a close range header with just over 15 minutes left to play.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Man in the middle:

Marc EdwardsOur referee for this game is Mr Marc Edwards.

Marc has taken charge of 15 games so far this season showing 33 yellow cards and one red.

We met him for the first time in September when we beat Oldham courtesy of a goal in the third minute from Olufela Olomola when Oldham Athletic came to town.

There were no Carlisle bookings on the day.

Referee - Marc Edwards
Assistant Referee 1 - Barry Gordon
Assistant Referee 2 - Mark Cunliffe
Fourth Official - James Westgate


Ticket information:

Click HERE for full ticket information.

Click HERE to purchase your tickets online.


iFollow United ... do you?

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 0 Grimsby

Report from the Saturday afternoon home game

14 December 2019

United hosted their second home game in the space of just five days on Saturday afternoon when the Mariners came to town.

Head coach Chris Beech made just one change from Tuesday night, Harry McKirdy in for Byron Webster [sidelined as he followed the FA concussion protocol], with the team adopting a 4-3-3 formation.

United had the wind at their backs in the first half as they attacked the Waterworks End and Nathan Thomas had an early opportunity to test the keeper when a free kick was awarded 28-yards from goal. He bent it low and round the wall but McKeown got across to claim it.

Hands were on heads at the other end when a deep free kick from the right flank was met by the unmarked Harry Davis. He guided a neat header into the back of the net but the flag was up for offside.

It was a bright start from the away side and Branthwaite had to chop the ball clear as Robson rattled a low cross into the box. It was recovered by Gibson, and his delivery found Hanson on the leap. Collin was beaten but the ball bounced back off the base of the upright and Carroll helped it on its way to safety.

McKirdy turned defence into attack when he latched onto a pass from Scougall halfway inside his own half. He made it into the opposition penalty area but a timely tackle took the ball onto his shin and behind for a goal kick.

Carlisle went close on 19 minutes when Hallam Hope sprung into action on the edge of the box. He dropped a shoulder and went for the shot, but it took a deflection and spun into the side netting. Thomas kept the corner delivery low and Loft sent a touch goalwards as he came under pressure. He was off-balance and the effort went wide.

Striker Hope beat the offside trap to make a wonderful flick from Mike Jones his own and he had McKeown well and truly beaten with a thumping strike from the angle. It smacked off the underside of the bar and Loft was a whisker away from turning it in as he tried to make the rebound count.

A foul on Robson by Carroll gave Grimsby a free kick opening on 28 minutes and it was the away side's turn to hit the woodwork as Robson's attempt spooned off the wall and onto the bar.

Good build up play from the Cumbrians saw Loft hold it up before feeding McKirdy inside the centre circle. He sent it wide to Thomas, and he waited for support as he teased the defenders in front of him. Mike Jones showed for it, and a measured pass invited the shot. The crowd was on its feet but it ran agonisingly just past the post.

Grimsby had luck go their way when Hessenthaler took advantage of two ricochets to leave himself with just Collin to beat. The keeper spread himself to make a save and he reacted quickly to push the loose ball behind as the big man looked to sweep up the pieces.

Teenager Jarrad Branthwaite did well to stop a cross from Robson reaching Hanson as Grimsby came again, and Waterfall nodded the resulting corner high over the target.

Substitute Charlie Vernam came onto the pitch to replace the injured James Hanson a minute before the break, and his eyes lit up as he latched onto an underhit back pass from Carroll. With just Collin to beat he misjudged his first touch as he tried to go past the keeper and he could do nothing as it ran away for a goal kick.

An early chance for Grimsby came in the second half when a kick from Collin was charged down by Robson. Hessenthaler went on the overlap and his driven shot flew across the face of goal with nobody there to add a touch.

The visitors took a more direct approach in their next foray forward as Hessenthaler and Green exchanged passes to create space for Vernam. Collin had positioned himself well and he dropped low to gather it in.

Carlisle had a good attack of their own when McKirdy spun away from a tight situation with his back to goal. Mike Jones swept a crossfield pass to Thomas in the next phase, and the wide man left his man in his wake as he raced towards the box. A shot from the outside of his boot was too close to McKeown.

Safe hands from Adam Collin took care of a bullet of a free kick from Hessenthaler as he tried to use the wind to his advantage, and the keeper plucked a header out of the air from Green after Vernam had overlapped to send a cross into the mix. 

United had Grimsby in a panic when a high corner from Thomas was met by Hayden, but Gibson got there not a moment too soon before Loft could have a go. 

And the Blues stayed forward, with Hope a danger man when he clipped a lovely ball to the back stick. McKirdy met it on the full but his 10-yard volley went high and wide.

Back at the other and and Vernam bundled his way to a tight angle on the right before pinging it past the dive from Collin. The Blues were able to regroup as the shot fizzed just wide.

A swirling free kick delivery from Thomas had Grimsby under pressure again as it was nodded high into the air, but the clearance came just as Hope and Loft looked to get something on it.

Another superb free kick from Thomas gave Loft half a sight when the delivery was nodded down at his feet on the penalty spot. Two defenders converged quickly to put in the block.

The ball wouldn't quite fall for either Thomas or Olomola as Carlisle pushed for a winner in time added on, but another clean sheet meant the unbeaten run under the new boss extended to four games.



Grimsby Town - Robson (10), Green (66), Gibson (75), Wright (80)



Carlisle United - Collin (gk) (c), Carroll (Elliott 46), Branthwaite, Hayden, G Jones, M Jones, Scougall (Olomola 79), McKirdy (Sagaf 65), Thomas, Loft, Hope. Subs - Gray (gk), Knight-Percival, Birch, Sorensen. 

Grimsby Town - McKeown (gk) (c), Hendrie, Gibson, Davis, Waterfall, Green (Rose 76), Hessenthaler, Hanson Vernam 44), Robson, Clifton, Wright (Whitehouse 84). Subs - Russell (gk), Ohman, Cardwell, Pollock.


Match officials

Referee - Marc Edwards
Assistant Referee 1 - Barry Gordon
Assistant Referee 2 - Mark Cunliffe
Fourth Official - James Westgate


Attendance - 3,653 (217 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block