Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
10 December 2019 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

MATCH PREVIEW: Emirates FA Cup second round replay

A look ahead to the midweek game

9 December 2019

Carlisle United and Forest Green Rovers go head-to-head for the third time already this season when they meet in the Emirates FA Cup second round replay at Brunton Park on Tuesday night.

Joe MillsThe teams battled out a 2-2 draw at the New Lawn 10 days ago, with Nathan Thomas the United headline maker with a stunning brace on the day.

Championship side Cardiff City are the third round opponents who lie in waiting, with a trip to the Cardiff City Stadium on the cards for the victors of this rematch - extra time and penalties will be used, if required.

Both teams had potential banana skins to deal with in round one, with Rovers making easy pickings of Billericay Town on their own patch. United, of course, kicked things off this season with a Friday night victory over Dulwich Hamlet in front of the TV cameras.

Forest Green have made themselves a tough team to beat this season, as demonstrated by the fact that they could have gone top had they beaten Crewe just before our first round game took place. 

Stubborn in defence and lively in attack they can certainly mix things up, and in Joe Mills, Jack Aitchison, Matt Stevens and Ebou Adams they have a string of dangerous options when it comes to the final third. The quartet have bagged 18 goals between them.


From the head coach

Chris BeechSpeaking ahead of the game, Chris Beech said: "This is my first home game since I took over and I'm looking forward to being in front of the Carlisle fans.

"We saw down at the New Lawn that Forest Green like to get at teams, but I was pleased with the way we countered their threats and with the way we created good chances to score.

"Both clubs know that a game against a Championship team is up next, but that can't be the focus. It comes down to concentrating on the job at hand and to making sure that we're ready to go again against one of the best teams in our division.

"The lads worked hard in the first meeting but the hard work and effort has to be made to count for something now. I said last week that a cup run can lift everybody, and that's what we want. We'll only get it if we concentrate and play as a unit on the night."



  Carlisle wins Draws Forest Green wins
League 3 2 2
FA Cup 0 1 0
Total 3 3 2


Highlights from previous meetings

United had to come from behind when Aaron Collins netted with just 10 minutes on the clock at Nailsworth two Saturday's ago. Goals either side of the break from Nathan Thomas put the Cumbrians in the ascendency, but an own goal from Gethin Jones just two minutes after Thomas had bagged his second left the teams with it all to do again as the game ended 2-2.

Unfortunately we do not hold the rights to the first round match footage.

It was a stalemate here at Brunton Park when these sides met in league action in September. Chances came and went, but the feisty encounter went without goals as five players were booked and one sent off (James Morton).

Watch the highlights from that game here:

United came away from the New Lawn with a 1-1 draw in March this year, having largely dominated the game. Nathan Thomas bagged the goal, but there were a number of opportunities missed by the Blues as they battled, but ultimately failed, to take all three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was Rovers who took the honours when they came north in November, earlier in that season, with goals from Ben Morris and Carl Winchester giving them a two-goal cushion. A late penalty from Jamie Devitt gave the Blues some hope, but the away side held out to take all three points.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

The December 2017 away trip to the New Lawn brought an early Christmas present for the Blue Army as Richie Bennett headed home what turned out to be the winner just before the half hour.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was the same scoreline here at Brunton Park in January 2018 with the only goal of the game coming in almost the same minute. This time it was Jamie Devitt who found the back of the net when he arrived late to smash a volley into the bottom corner as the ball fell nicely at his feet.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


The man in the middle

Andy HainesOur referee for this game is Mr Andy Haines. Andy has taken charge of 19 games so far this season showing 52 yellow cards and four reds.

He was last at Brunton Park last month for our 2-1 home win over Macclesfield. Harry McKirdy and Ryan Loft scored the Carlisle goals and Mike Jones and Canice Carroll had their names taken on the day.

Prior to that he was here in March last season for our 2-2 draw with Cambridge. The U's went ahead with just three minutes on the clock, but goals from Jamie Devitt and Nathan Thomas gave the Blues the lead before the break. Former-United favourite Jabo Ibehre bagged midway through the second period to make it a share of the spoils on the day. Danny Grainger and Mike Jones received bookings during the game.

He was also with us just three months earlier for our Boxing Day meeting with Oldham. United ran riot with goals from Hope, Yates [2], Nadesan, Grainger and Liddle securing a thumping 6-0 victory. Kelvin Etuhu was the only Carlisle name taken on the night.

Earlier last season he was up here for our Checkatrade Trophy group fixture against Morecambe. A tight game saw the Shrimps twice take the lead through goals from Oliver and Piggott. Glendon and Gillesphey pegged them back for the Blues, and that set it up for Jerry Yates to grab a late winner. There were no United names taken on the night.

We saw Mr Haines twice in season 2017/18, both at Brunton Park, starting with our opening day fixture against Swindon Town. Luke Joyce scored our only goal in a 2-1 defeat, and Mike Jones was the only Carlisle name taken.

Our second meeting had a much more pleasant outcome as we beat Oldham Athletic 3-2 in the FA Cup. Richie Bennett (2) and Hallam Hope gave us a three goal cushion but there was still time to bite the fingernails as Peter Clarke and Aaron Holloway bit back to make it a nervy ending to the game. There were no Carlisle bookings that afternoon.

Referee - Andy Haines
Assistant Referee 1 - Geoffrey Liddle
Assistant Referee 2 - Peter Gooch
Fourth Official - Adam Herczeg


Is that a fact?

Forest Green reached the final of the FA Trophy in 1999, making them the first side to reach the final of both the FA Trophy and the FA Vase.


Match tickets

Full match ticket details are HERE.

You can purchase your tickets online HERE.


iFollow the Blues

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 0 Rovers

Report from the Tuesday night replay

10 December 2019

Head coach Chris Beech took charge of his first home game for the visit of Forest Green Rovers as the sides came together for the second time in the space of 10 days with progression to the third round of the Emirates FA Cup competition up for grabs.

A 2-2 draw at the New Lawn meant that a replay was required, with an away tie at the Cardiff City Stadium next in line for the winners of the Tuesday night fixture.

There was one change to the starting eleven from Saturday with Canice Carroll coming in for the injured Jon Mellish. That meant a switch to right back for Aaron Hayden, with Gethin Jones moving to left back and Byron Webster and Jarrad Branthwaite reunited as the central defensive pairing. 

There was some real wintry weather ahead of kick off and United were made to attack the Warwick Road End first as Rovers won the toss. 

And the hosts had a loud shout for a penalty turned away as Thomas burst into the box during the first attack of the game. He was dumped to the floor but the referee waved play on.

Rovers responded with a shot from distance from Collins when he found unexpected space. He caught it well but Collin stepped across to gather it up.

Hayden had to recover and block when Grubb overlapped on the left flank, and it was a vital tackle as the away wide man made his way into the box and into a shooting position.

The visitors used the wind well and a raking pass was picked up by Shephard as he advanced up the pitch. His cut back found Collins but a wild first time shot was allowed to go behind to safety by Webster.

United knew they had to keep the ball down as they faced up to the blustery gusts and they did just that when Thomas popped a neat pass through for Loft to chase. He spun and drilled a cross across the face of goal but it was too far in front of the line of three onrushing attackers.

Forest Green had a run of corners as they pushed men forward, with Shephard going close when he waited for a clearance to drop. Hayden stood his ground as he got in the way of the volley.

United settled and winger Nathan Thomas sent a beauty of a cross into the visiting penalty area when he took a pass in his stride from Scougall, but it swirled and swung and the keeper was able to calm his defenders down as he marshalled it away.

A quieter period of the game was broken when Mondal twisted away from the touchline to step inside his man. He put his boot through the ball but it was just too high and it fizzed over the bar.

The away side probed again when Mondal found Collins with a measured pass. A whisked low pass into the area evaded everybody as the strikers stayed on their heels.

Forest Green crafted a decent opening on 27 minutes when Collins ghosted away from his marker. His cross skipped up off the surface and Taylor met it with a stinging volley. He was just 10 yards out but he somehow put it over the bar.

Determined work from Aaron Hayden saw him spark a home attack when he bustled his way through three tackles. Scougall clipped it on to Loft when it came his way, and the big striker made Smith do some work as he went for a shot on the spin. The keeper kept his eyes on it well.

Pace from Thomas followed in the next attack as he left his man standing when he went on a 40-yard sprint. The delivery was near perfect but Hope couldn't get a touch despite having thrown himself at the ball.

A Loft goal was ruled out for offside just before the break, as United started to gain the ascendency, and the Blues thought they'd taken the lead when Carroll ripped a great cross into the box. Thomas took it on his chest and bore down on goal and he was disappointed when his toe poke shaved the outside of the upright.

Carlisle got the goal their play deserved five minutes before half time when Thomas sent a stunning free kick beyond the defensive line. Aaron Hayden made it his own and the keeper could do nothing as the header screwed off a defender and bounced over the line.

Tenacity from Thomas saw him chase the keeper down with just one minute on the second half clock and it almost paid off as Smith stumbled. The winger got in front of him, but the cut back for Hope was underhit and Bernard swooped to clear.

Forest Green tried to pick up some momentum but Mondal and Mills were wayward with shots, and the Cumbrians kept things tight as they worked hard in midfield to close the gaps.

A driven corner kick from Mike Jones almost brought a second for the Blues midway through the half as Hayden made a run to the near post. His flick had Smith worried until it bulged the side netting.

Fleet of foot from McKirdy created another opening, as he spun his man before clipping a great ball into the mix, and the wide man went close himself when he latched onto a loose ball before heading for the area. His punt had Smith beaten but it bobbled just past the post.

Rovers had a chance at the other end when they flooded the area with green shirts, but Collins couldn't keep his shot down when a blocked Winchester drive ricocheted into his path.

McKirdy was wasteful when he led the charge on a counter attack when he had options left and right. He chose to try to chip the keeper but he got his bearings wrong and the ball flew high over the bar.

Another testing cross from Thomas was punched behind for a corner as Smith struggled to judge the flight, and the set piece delivery was met at the back stick by Webster. His nod down was begging to be struck, but the defence reacted first to get it away.

The visitors were the width of the crossbar away from drawing level with 10 minutes left to play when Collins took advantage of a slip from Branthwaite to make his way into the box. A rasping, dipping drive struck the woodwork, rose high and dropped behind.

Defender Byron Webster needed treatment after he'd thrown his body at an effort from Mondal, and he was replaced by Nathaniel Knight-Percival following a prolonged period of treatment.

The Blues did their jobs through the closing stages, with Mondal guilty of another bad miss, and they competently saw the game out to claim their place in the third round and a trip to the Cardiff City Stadium early in the New Year.



Carlisle United - Hayden (40)



Carlisle United - Loft (19), McKirdy (90)

Forest Green Rovers - Rawson (43)



Carlisle United - Collin (gk)(c), Hayden, Webster (Knight-Percival 88), Branthwaite, G Jones, Carroll, M Jones, Scougall (McKirdy 61), Thomas, Loft, Hope (Elliott 90). Subs - Gray (gk), Olomola, Sagaf, Sorensen.

Forest Green Rovers - Smith, Shephard, Bernard (Godwin-Malife 83), Rawson, Winchester (c), Grubb (Mills 46), Collins, Adams, Kitching, Mondal, Taylor (Stevens 61). Subs - Thomas (gk), Stevens, Morton, Dawson, McGinley.


Match officials

Referee - Andy Haines
Assistant Referee 1 - Geoffrey Liddle
Assistant Referee 2 - Peter Gooch
Fourth Official - Adam Herczeg


Attendance - 1,736 (88 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block