Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
02 October 2018 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

BIG MATCH PREVIEW: The Mariners come to Brunton Park on Tuesday night

Grimsby Town are our midweek visitors

2 October 2018

We welcome NFU Mutual as our sponsors for the Grimsby Town game on Tuesday night.

The NFU sponsor an evening fixture with us every season and it's always good to see them in our hospitality areas.


We hope they and their guests have a good night with us.


September was a tough month for the Mariners as they suffered a run of five straight league defeats. 

Spirits were lifted earlier in the month with a 2-1 home win over Notts County in a Checkatrade Trophy group game, but they were quickly brought back down to earth with heavy losses at the hands of Oldham and Bury.

Their campaign started well, with only one defeat in their first four league games, but you have to go back as far as 11 August to find their only win in the division so far - a 2-0 away success against Macclesfield Town.

Jordan CookFormer-Blue Jordan Cook is definitely one to watch as he leads the way with two goals and one assist, with both of his strikes thus far coming away from home, against Macclesfield and MK Dons respectively.

Their last outing at the weekend saw Elliot Embleton set the game off on the right foot with a decent solo effort, with just nine minutes on the clock. A solid first half followed, but Morecambe struck back after the break with goals from Oates and Mandeville enough to secure the three points for the visitors.


Manager’s thoughts ...

Speaking ahead of the game, United boss John Sheridan said: “Grimsby are a decentJohn Sheridan footballing side so I'm surprised they are where they are. I've watched them and they play some good football. Their results aren't a reflection of the way they've been playing so we can't take anything for granted.

"They'll be frustrated, and they need points, so I have no doubt they will make it difficult for us. ”

Fancy a flutter on the game? Bet responsibly with our official betting partner and title sponsor Sky Bet by clicking HERE.


Did You Know?

Bill Shankly+ Traditionally, Grimsby were one of only two teams (the other being Hull City) who were allowed to play on Christmas Day due to the local fishing trade. The tradition has now disappeared.

+ In Grimsby’s 1939 FA Cup semi-final they were forced to play with an outfield player in goal for most of the match after stopper George Moulson picked up an injury, with rules forbidding substitutes for injuries.

+ Ex-Carlisle boss Bill Shankly managed at Blundell Park after he left the Cumbrians, before resigning in 1954 due to a lack of ambition from the board.


Head to Head

These two sides have met on a total of 44 occasions over the years - spanning all the way back to the 1907/08 campaign when the Mariners registered a 6-2 FA Cup home victory over the fledgling Blues.

Grimsby hold the bragging rights by some considerable margin, with 22 victories compared to United's 11. Things have been better for the Cumbrians recently, particularly last season where they won both of the meetings between these teams.

  Carlisle wins Draws Grimsby wins
League 9 8 17
FA Cup 0 1 2
Cup 1 0 0
League Cup 1 2 3
Total 11 11 22

Our November trip to Blundell Park saw United give as good as they got in a tight game. Grimsby shaded the first half with the woodwork and some heroics from Jack Bonham to thank for a clean sheet. The deadlock was eventually broken when defender Clint Hill got on the end of a superb cross from Gary Liddle. 

Watch the highlights from that game here:

Things were more comfortable in the home game with Hallam Hope opening the scoring with just three minutes on the clock. It was the perfect thank you to the fans who had turned up as early as 8am on match day to help to clear snow from the pitch, and the surrounding areas, to allow the game to go ahead. Mark Ellis secured the points with a close range header with just over 15 minutes left to play.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Man in the middle:

Martin CoyThe referee for this game is Mr Martin Coy. Martin has taken charge of nine games so far this season, showing 21 yellow cards.

He was with us three times last season, with his first visit up north coming in August 2017 for our 3-0 home victory over Cheltenham. Tom Miller and Reggie Lambe added to a fifth minute own goal from Harry Pell, and Mark Ellis was the only Carlisle booking on the day.

We saw him again for our November Checkatrade Trophy group game against Fleetwood, where a certain Jack Sowerby opened the scoring on the night. Wes Burns doubled the lead just before half time, and a late Shaun Miller goal did little to affect the outcome as the visitors took the win come full time. Tom Miller and Jamie Devitt received yellow cards that night.

His last trip to Brunton Park was for our 2-2 draw with Crawley in March. Richie Bennett and Hallam Hope appeared to have done the job with goals to give us a 2-0 lead, but the Red Devils recovered and claimed their point courtesy of a brace from Kalen Grant. United names taken were Clint Hill, Hallam Hope and Tom Parkes.

Referee – Martin Coy
Assistant Referee 1 – Paul Newhouse
Assistant Referee 2 – Simon Clayton
Fourth Official – Geoffrey Liddle


Ticket information:

Click HERE for full ticket information.

Click HERE to purchase your tickets online.


iFollow United ... do you?

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

This game is available to watch in full HD via our iFollow service. Click HERE to purchase your match pass for just £10.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 0 - 1 Grimsby

Report from the Tuesday evening home game

2 October 2018

It was a second home game in the space of four days for the Blues as they hosted Grimsby Town at Brunton Park on Tuesday night.

Blues boss John Sheridan was without striker Richie Bennett, who hadn't recovered from a groin injury picked up during the weekend game against Stevenage, and keeper Luke O'Reilly, who had reported in with an illness, was also ruled out of the game.

United attacked the Waterworks End from the kick off and they had their first corner inside 60 seconds when Hope and Nadesan worked together to make use of a long ball forward from Liddle. Devitt sent it in, but Collins jumped high to clear before Nadesan could pounce.

Alertness from Etuhu allowed him to rob Vernam of possession in the middle of the park and he spread it for Hope, who took a touch as he looked to weave a way into the box. The forward beat his man but his shot was blocked just as he pulled the trigger.

Grimsby showed for the first time on seven minutes when Embleton overlapped to get into the box. The angle was tight and he drilled his shot on the run high over the bar.

Carlisle turned defence into attack as Adam Collin stayed big to prevent Hooper from scoring as he was played clean through. United's keeper parried twice, but the ball rolled loose for Whitmore to strike. An excellent block rebounded long and an instinctive pass from Devitt sent Nadesan free. A corner followed as he harried his man with the Blues camped forward.

Deliveries into the area caused problems as Parkes and Gerrard challenged, and a half clearance from Clifton was picked up by Devitt, who put Hope in the clear. He went for a first time volley but it bounced into the ground and the save was easy for McKeown to make.

It was a pulsating opening 15 minutes and Gillesphey had Collin to thank when he stumbled and scuffed a pass back straight into Vernam's path. The stadium waited for the net to bulge but Collin dropped low to make a stunning one-handed save.

United went for a more direct route as a long ball forward was taken down by Nadesan half way inside Grimsby territory. He cut inside and let fly from 19-yards but McKeown dived low to palm it away.

Back up the other end and a short corner routine found Thomas with his back to goal. He twisted and turned before drilling the ball low through bodies. The Carlisle contingent were relieved to see it whistle just past the upright.

A deep cross from Gillesphey was nodded back into the mix by Sowerby, but his initial attempt to find Nadesan was shepherded away. The midfielder regained control and he left his man standing as he put the ball through his legs before crossing it low. Hall-Johnson knew he had to deal with it and his connection was clean.

The Cumbrians were awarded a free kick when Whitmore cleaned out Devitt 24-yards from goal, and McKeown had to readjust quickly to get both hands to Gillesphey's dipper as it took a deflection off his wall. 

Hope kept the forward momentum going as he beat his man on the left flank before clipping the ball for Sowerby to nod. He got there but it was slightly behind him and he struggled to find the target.

The visitors had a great chance to take the lead on the half hour when a measured cross found Hooper completely unmarked. He was dead central, and had the width of the goal to aim at, but he got his bearings wrong and sent a tame header wide.

Hearts missed a beat in the Grimsby box when a lofted cross from Gillesphey was spilled by McKeown. Sowerby and Nadesan were after it but his defenders dug him out of a hole. 

More injury woes came the home side's way when Devitt, who hadn't been able to shake off the after-effects of the earlier extremely heavy challenge from Whitmore, was replaced by Adam Campbell.

And disaster quickly followed for the hosts on 38 minutes when an incisive attack took them into the left hand side of the United area. A pull back found Hendrie, but Collin did enough to save the first effort with his boot. Luke Hendrie was first to react again and he made no mistake as he swept the loose pieces into the back of the net.

Hooper tried to double the advantage from distance with Grimsby tails up, and Carlisle had a dabble at the other end as a thumped free kick pinged around inside the penalty area. Blocks were made as shots rained in and the visitors were eventually able to hook it to safety.

The Blues should have been level deep into time added on for the half when Nadesan showed great determination to twice close down a clearance before then feeding it to Campbell. He showed a turn of pace to get past his marker, and his delivery was perfect for Sowerby. He was up to meet it, eight yards out, but he couldn't keep his header down and it sailed high over the bar.

Carlisle won a corner at the start of the second period when a curled cross from Gillesphey was headed behind. Campbell sent it in, and he was there to try again when it bounced back his way. A scramble followed when Gerrard nodded it down, and there were loud appeals for handball as Hall-Johnson saw the loose ball out. The officials waved the shouts away.

McKeown did well to deal with a dipping and swirling snapshot from distance from Etuhu as Carlisle continued to try to make things happen, and Hope almost put Sowerby through with a flighted ball over the top. He got there but he was closely marshalled by Collins.

Grimsby started to operate on the break and pace from Hooper took him from his own half to the Carlisle box. His cross got a touch from Collin and that was enough to avert the danger.

Good work from Slater put Sowerby in a good position when a clipped pass was taken down by the midfielder. He wrong-footed his marker, leaving him on the floor, but he chose to shoot early rather than exploit the space in front of him. McKeown found the save a simple one to make.

United had the bulk of the possession through a frustrating spell as they found that the final pass or delivery either fell to a striped shirt or dropped too long. 

But a slick exchange of passes saw Sowerby and Campbell combine to carve a path through with 15 minutes left to play. Liddle got involved late in the piece, and the movement left Campbell with a gap to aim at as he put his laces through the ball. A brave lunge was enough to deflect the goal bound effort into the Warwick.

The corner came off the bar from a flick from Gillesphey and there were bodies everywhere as blue shirts tried to make it count. Groans accompanied the referee's whistle as he blew for a free kick for a push on Collins from Gerrard.

Carlisle sent everybody forward through the closing stages and McCarron had a shot blocked as a ricochet fell his way 17-yards from goal. Hope then blazed over as he got on the end of a cut back, and a whisked cross from McCarron was temporarily lost by McKeown, only to be gathered in before Etuhu could get there.

McCarron had another effort blocked in time added on, as did Jones, and the penultimate corner of the evening came to nothing as it refused to fall to a Cumbrian despite being up for grabs. 

The last delivery had everyone on the edge of their seats, but the Mariners survived as Campbell's long range shot went into McKeown's hands.



Grimsby Town - Hendrie (38)



Grimsby Town - Hall-Johnson (41), Hendrie (50)



Carlisle United - Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Gillesphey, Sowerby (McCarron 79), Slater (Jones 79), Etuhu, Devitt (Campbell 33), Hope, Nadesan. Subs - Miller, Glendon, Adewusi, Egan.

Grimsby Town - McKeown, Hall-Johnson, Collins, Rose, Hooper, Clifton, Vernam (Cardwell 90), Embleton (Woolford 81), Whitmore, Hendrie, Thomas. Subs - Dixon, Hessenthaler, Robles, Russell, Pringle.


Referee - Mr Martin Coy

Attendance - 3,316 (143 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account