Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
24 November 2018 Venue Brunton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

BIG MATCH PREVIEW: Forest Green Rovers come to Brunton Park

We take a closer look at this weekend's opponents

22 November 2018

United face Forest Green Rovers in their latest League Two fixture here at Brunton Park this weekend.

Reuben ReidRovers and United are locked together in mid-table as we head towards the end of the year with the visitors enjoying a much-improved season this time round.

Manager Mark Cooper has invested wisely, bringing in some very attack minded players, and they are most definitely a force to be reckoned with on their day.

Back-to-back league defeats in November have seen them drop out of the play-off places, undoing what had been an excellent October which had seen them lose just once in their six league outings.

They bowed out of the FA Cup on Tuesday evening following a home defeat at the hands of League One Oxford, so will be looking to bounce back when they head north this weekend.

It's no surprise to see veteran campaigner Reuben Reid leading the scoring charts for the club, with five to his name already, and he has an assist to add to that impressive tally as he continues to pose a threat in the final third whenever he takes to the pitch.

Keep an eye out for Christian Doidge and Dayle Grubb, who both have four strikes to their names, and Reece Brown is also having a good season with three goals and three assists in his favour.


Manager’s thoughts ...

John SheridanSpeaking ahead of the weekend game, manager John Sheridan said: "Mark [Cooper] has got his players playing well and they'll be looking to get their results back on track after what has been a good first few months of the season.

"We know the threats we'll face because they have good strikers who know where the goal is. The good thing is that we're going into the game with the confidence of what has been a decent run behind us.

"Last weekend was a demonstration of how comfortable things can become if you take your chances, and if we can develop that ruthless streak we'll be picking up points along the way.

"Obviously we sent our travelling fans home happy on Saturday, and we want to add to what we did against Newport and build on doing that at Brunton Park as well as we go forward from here. Points are the main thing because we want to be around the top seven and pushing on through what is another busy period."

Fancy a flutter on the game? Bet responsibly with our official betting partner and title sponsor Sky Bet by clicking HERE.


Did You Know?

+ In 1989 the club was renamed Stroud Football Club, but they reverted to their previous guise of Forest Green Rovers only a few years later.

+ Forest Green reached the final of the FA Trophy in 1999, making them the first side to reach the final of both the FA Trophy and the FA Vase.

Forest Green

+ Rovers actually finished in the Conference relegation zone in 2010, but were reprieved thanks to Salisbury City breaking financial rules.


Head to Head

The sides have met on just four occasions previously, with three victories going United's way, including both of last season's meetings.

December's away trip to the New Lawn brought an early Christmas present for the Blue Army as Richie Bennett headed home what turned out to be the winner just before the half hour.

Watch the highlights from that game here:

It was the same scoreline here at Brunton Park in January with the only goal of the game coming in almost the same minute. This time it was Jamie Devitt who found the back of the net when he arrived late to smash a volley into the bottom corner as the ball fell nicely at his feet.

Watch the highlights from that game here:


Man in the middle

Carl BoyesonOur referee for this game is Mr Carl Boyeson. Carl has taken charge of 16 games so far this season showing 64 yellow cards and one red.

We last met him for what turned into a thriller for all the wrong reasons when we made the trip to face Wycombe last February. A horrible first half saw the Blues go two goals behind as Matt Bloomfield and Luke O'Nien bagged quickfire goals either side of the half hour mark.

The tide changed at the start of the second half when O'Nien was sent off, and a penalty from Danny Grainger brought United right back into the game. Jamie Devitt and Cole Stockton turned the game on its head, and the visitors appeared to have secured the three points as the clock ticked in to time added on.

That was when the world fell apart for the Cumbrians as Marcus Bean and Paris Cowan-Hall pounced within seconds of each other to leave the away side pondering what might have been.

Referee - Carl Boyeson
Assistant Referee 1 - Chris Isherwood
Assistant Referee 2 - Richard Wild
Fourth Official - Rebecca Welch


Ticket information

Click HERE for full ticket information.

Click HERE to purchase your tickets online.


iFollow United ... do you?

Don’t miss a kick – join us on iFollow United for match coverage for EVERY first team game this season.

Click HERE to sign up for full match commentary, in association with BBC Radio Cumbria.

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: United 1 - 2 Rovers

Report from the afternoon home game

24 November 2018

United were back at Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon as they came up against Forest Green Rovers.

The referee's whistle was the dominant aspect of the opening exchanges as he seemed to spot infringements his assistants had missed, stifling the flow of the game.

Rovers showed good mobility as they tried to work their way behind the back line but solid defending kept the visitors at arms length.

A theatrical dive inside the box was ignored as Forest's Ben Morris threw himself to the ground, and a heavy touch from Reece Brown allowed Collin to gather another testing through ball.

It was Carlisle who created the first meaningful chance with 10 minutes on the clock when the ball squirmed into Hope's path, just 19-yards out, as a pass from Slater took a deflection. The shot had Montgomery beaten and he was relieved to see it edge past the upright.

But it was the away side who took the lead two minutes later when the hosts failed to deal with some intricate play in the final third in front of the Warwick Road End. It eventually broke for Morris, as Brown's shot came off Gerrard, and he had the simple task of drilling his effort beneath the stranded Adam Collin and into the net.

A shot on the run from Slater angled over the bar, as United tried to gain a foothold, but they were defending again when Brown bent a run on the left before shooting low. It took a healthy deflection and spun away to safety.

Carlisle had to take care when a cross from Mills buzzed across the face of goal, and Liddle showed bravery to block the follow up effort from Gunning as the visitors continued to pull the more effective strings.

Sowerby had a brief glimpse as he tried his luck from distance, as the Blues struggled to keep hold of the ball, but it was straight at Montgomery and he was able to gather.

Collin was behind a shot from Winchester when he pounced on an error in midfield, and Hope scuffed a shot wide at the other end in what was a much scrappier passage of play.

The hosts were guilty of wasting a lot of good situations later in the half, with a tendency to send their crosses too deep, and the shooting was hurried and wild with Hope and Yates guilty of some wayward misses.

A goal bound thunderbolt from Gillesphey was stopped before it could trouble the keeper, and a run from Sowerby took him past his man and into a decent position. Montgomery watched closely and stepped out to claim the cross.

An excellent touch from Devitt just before the break was followed by a slick exchange of passes with Yates, and that left the midfielder ready to pull the trigger. He struck it well but yet another deflection worked against him and the ball bounced clear.

Another bitty start to the second half saw the anxiety levels rise amongst the home fans and there was more angst when Winchester was allowed to keep the ball on the edge of the box. He shifted it twice before fizzing a firm shot just over the bar.

Better came from Carlisle when Devitt released Sowerby with an intelligent touch on the right flank. The cross had to be put behind before Nadesan could get there, and Gillesphey was unlucky with the nod from the corner as it skewed off his head and dropped over the bar.

Rovers still held the upper hand and they tied Carlisle in knots with a series of passes which took three players out of the game. Winchester was the man with the shot once more, but Liddle took the sting out of it and Collin saved easily. 

It was much tougher for the keeper in the next attack when Brown stepped past a challenge before shooting low. Collin had to get down to make a vital one-handed save as it threatened to creep in.

Carlisle were unlucky not to be back on terms when Liddle got on the end of a Devitt corner with a downward header. A well placed defender cleared it off the line with the keeper well beaten. The second delivery was met by Gerrard, but his effort looped over the bar and nestled on the roof of the net.

The Cumbrians were caught cold as Forest counter attacked and a reverse pass from Morris was deftly helped on its way by Brown. Winchester had shown real desire to get into the box and he was rewarded when he arrived just in time to stroke the loose ball into the waiting target.

A lifeline was handed to the hosts with just under 15 minutes left to play when a handball was spotted as a Devitt corner flew into the box. The midfielder claimed the ball and made no mistake as he thrashed the spot kick into the top corner.

Liddle had a shot saved when he overlapped late in the game, and Sowerby was close with a fierce shot that Montgomery got a hand to. Gillesphey clipped the post with the last kick of the game but Rovers held out to claim their points on what was a frustrating afternoon for the Blues.



Carlisle United - Devitt (78 pen)

Forest Green Rovers - Morris (12), Winchester (71)



Carlisle United - Gerrard (45)

Forest Green Rovers - Montgomery (64)



Carlisle United - Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Gillesphey, Sowerby, Devitt, Jones (Etuhu 63), Slater, Yates, Nadesan, Hope (Bennett 68). Subs - Gray, Glendon, Campbell, Adewusi, McCarron.

Forest Green Rovers - Montgomery, James, Rawson, Winchester, Brown (Williams 84), Gunning, McGinley, Digby, Worthington (Archibald 74), Morris (Reid 74), Mills. Subs - Sanchez, Campbell, Pearce.


Referee - Mr Carl Boyeson

Attendance - 4,166 (116 away fans)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account